"330 Mega": Bit or Byte?

The-Bus

n00b
It's common knowledge that the original "330 Mega" of the NeoGeo system is that it could play games that were up to the size of 330 megs. Of course, that barrier was later broken with games in the Metal Slug and King of Fighters series that were well past that size.

Now, the question that has resurfaced recently is of course... what is this "megs"? Does it refer to megabytes or megabits? For some technical background, 8 bits make up one byte. Mega generally refers to 1,024. So one megabyte is 1,024 bytes (2^10). A megabyte is written as MB while megabit is mb or, preferrably, mbit. A recent link posted http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Bay/3906/gamelord.htm talks about an advertisement/insert that appeared in the early 90s that dealth with this issue. A quote from this link:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Top Players' Golf which uses 62-MEGabytes, is equal to 496-Megabits. That's 62 times more Meg than the Sega "Strider" game.

Besides the fact that the quote is as close as you can get to an irrelevant comparison, I think the author is quite wrong. Top Player's Golf is indeed '62 Megs' but it's not megabytes... It's 62 megabits (which puts it at about 7.75 MB in size). If Top Player's Gold was 62 megabytes, it would be larger in size than Doom 2 and Quake combined. If King of Fighters games were in the size range of 600-700 megabytes, they would have as much data as a lot of today's PC games which feature video and more detailed levels and art. Although King of Fighters is impressive, they don't rival (in sheer data size) games like Unreal Tournament.

However, I don't have any concrete knowledge. If anyone here can for a fact say what's what and rectify me/us, then please feel free to post.

As a final aside, I wouldn't rely too much on SNK press. This may have been produced by technically inept PR types (which every game company employs) or liars out to boost the specs of their system (ditto for most).

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
Easiest way to figure out the answer is to take a look at a ROM image.

I always thought it was bits, and not bytes as claimed in the article you provide the link to. I also think the configuration of th MGD cartridge copier supports this, but I could be wrong.....

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
It is indeed MegaBit not Byte as you can tell if you every tore apart a neo cart and looked at the roms inside. Funny they would say megabyte in an article. The one thing about neo carts is that they use little to no compression. Where as other carts and newer games do use compression techniques.

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
Funny they would say megabyte in an article.
--------------------

Well, Snk was not above false advertising. I'd bet that all it was. 62MB for a 24bit system.
smile.gif

NeoGeoHybrid

Rugal's Thug
so metal slug 3 is 88.5mb megabytes or 708mbit megabits
why is a console considered 8bit or 16 bit, what is the bit? Is it how many bits it can process at once?

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Back in the day when they were taking about memory megs always referred to megabits and mega always referred to megabytes.

Shuuchan

Crossed Swords Squire
Neo games are measured in bits. I hate the term megabit it confuses so many casual fans.
"Zeldas as big as a CD man!"Ugh

A consoles bit refers to its CPU usually. I believe it has something to do with how much it processess at a time or somethin. If it can handle more bits it is a bit(no pun int.) more powerful because it doesnt have to waste time transferring from the cache to the CPU. Im not an expert and if Im wrong Im sorry.

------------------
mendou.jpg

"Just don't put your lips on anything!"

The-Bus

n00b
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shuuchan:
A consoles bit refers to its CPU usually. I believe it has something to do with how much it processess at a time or somethin. If it can handle more bits it is a bit(no pun int.) more powerful because it doesnt have to waste time transferring from the cache to the CPU.

That's about right. Think of bits as a measurement for a highway inside the processor. More bits = more lanes = more power. Here's WhatIs.com's explanation:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">A 64-bit processor is a microprocessor with a word size of 64 bits, a requirement for memory and data intensive applications such as computer-aided design (CAD) applications, database management systems, technical and scientific applications, and high-performance servers. 64-bit computer architecture provides higher performance than 32-bit architecture by handling twice as many bits of information in the same clock cycle.
The 64-bit processor is backwards compatible with older applications and operating systems; it detects whether an application or operating system is 16-bit, 32-bit, or 64-bit and computes accordingly.

------------------
Small potatoes make the steak look bigger.

C

Caris Nautilus

If i remember right there are 8 bits in a byte or something like that. SNK's "Meg Count" for games are BITS not BYTES.

No neo game has ever been over 100 megabytes in size.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Remember the hoopla that surrounded Street Fighter 2? "The Worlds First 16 Megabit Cartridge" was everywhere you went in a mag if you read EGM like I did. Those where the days...

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rade Kuruc:
Remember the hoopla that surrounded Street Fighter 2? "The Worlds First 16 Megabit Cartridge" was everywhere you went in a mag if you read EGM like I did. Those where the days...

Staggering off topic a little more, remember the hype arounf the Genesis version of SF2, coming in at a whopping 40 megs?!?!

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
I think all systems that have employed the "meg" labeling technique have expressed these numbers in megabits, not bytes. (sega master system, neogeo, neo pocket) After all it makes the games look much bigger.
smile.gif

Caris, as for no neo game being over 100 megabytes, it hasn't happened yet but Metal Slug 3 sure got close. (about 90MBytes?) I might be mistaken, but isn't the Garou : MOTW romset like 80 megabytes ZIPPED?

An 80 megabyte sprite based game is a LARGE, LARGE game. =)

The-Bus

n00b
Mark of the Wolves is 84.5 MB uncompressed, 37.7 MB compressed... so, about 680 megabits.

------------------
Small potatoes make the steak look bigger.

rstreck

Armored Scrum Object
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The-Bus:
A quote from this link:

Besides the fact that the quote is as close as you can get to an irrelevant comparison, I think the author is quite wrong.

I agree. The Neo and all other systems meaused their games in Megabits not Megabytes.

But why do you think comparing Strider for Genesis to Top Players Golf for the Neo is irrelevant? Strider for the Genesis was around like 12 Megabits or so. Top Players Golf was 62 Megabits. The purpose of the acticle was to show how much bigger and more powerful Neo Geo games are as opposed to Genesis/SNES games and it does that.

Ryan

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
There is no way Strider could have been 12 Megabits... that is not even big enough for a damn title screen with the pciture of strider on it
smile.gif

-Nick

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rstreck:
I agree. The Neo and all other systems meaused their games in Megabits not Megabytes.

But why do you think comparing Strider for Genesis to Top Players Golf for the Neo is irrelevant? Strider for the Genesis was around like 12 Megabits or so. Top Players Golf was 62 Megabits. The purpose of the acticle was to show how much bigger and more powerful Neo Geo games are as opposed to Genesis/SNES games and it does that.

Ryan

Most of top players golf size was in it's digitized speach. I think people forget just how much room all those voices take, especialy when it is not compressed. Strider I do not know although I think even the genesis carts used some compression.

to bad they did not use the term in the Atari days. Imagine the ads

New "Adventure" for the ATARI 2600 clocking in at a enorumus 5KB or .005MB

I do not know the exact size of that game but just though it would be funny
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Big Bruno (edited April 13, 2001).]

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nruva:
There is no way Strider could have been 12 Megabits... that is not even big enough for a damn title screen with the pciture of strider on it
smile.gif

-Nick

Strider is an 8 Megabit game. Or 1 megabyte. It was the worlds first, I belive and the same hoopla that surrouned Street Fighter 2, surounded it.

The first version of Street Fighter on Genny (special Champ) was 24 megabits, whilst the Super Street Fighter on Genny was 40. For some reason, the SNES version of Super Street Fighter was only 32 Megabits. Street Fighter 2 and Street Fighter 2 Turbo on SNES were 16 and 20 respectively.

And man, remember how much Strider cost when it first came out? Ouch!

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rade Kuruc:
Strider is an 8 Megabit game. Or 1 megabyte. It was the worlds first, I belive and the same hoopla that surrouned Street Fighter 2, surounded it.
And man, remember how much Strider cost when it first came out? Ouch!

I surely will not forget THAT one. $75!
eek.gif
It was a damn fine arcade port for the Genesis. If only Forgotten Worlds would've been 8 Meg as well...

A little bit after Strider and quite a while before SF II, there was the 12 Megabit Star Control on the Genesis which clocked in at $59.99. On the Genesis, the 8 Meg cart didn't stay too high for long- in mid 1991, you could buy Midnight Resistance for $50.

------------------

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
Well im sure its Megabit, but Megabyte sounds cooler
wink.gif

Btw. look on the backcover of 3 count bout US

the last sentence: ..., brought to you in super-charged 106 MEGABYTES of NEO-GEO power.

Well ;-P

[This message has been edited by Gamemaster (edited April 15, 2001).]

baller99

Banned
dude its bits.No question in my mind.
It would sound stupid if they said megabits. so they just say megs.

Peter

Nari

Kuroko's Training Dummy
This is an interesting thread, I always wonder abt this difference abt bits and bytes.....so technically it is possible to cramp the entire KoF series so far onto 1 GD-R disc (as in DC).

------------------
"I can't lose. For nature's sake"

K

kyoisthekof

Actually... Seems as though you could cram quite a collection of Neo games onto a CD... Gee maybe someone out there should follow up on that idea...
Well damn, somebody already did! lol
(Worse, people are selling these things? What work did they do to earn the money???)