Prefer Convex or Concave buttons on your MVS cab?

• Total voters

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
At least here in America, the Big red dedicated Neo cabs originally came with convex buttons. With time, I've just grown used to Japanese style cabs and joysticks, and finally gave in and made the changeover to Convex "Tournament" style buttons. What is your button preference for your MVS and why? :)

:A::B::C::D:

23425A24-7B98-425F-A802-2F1056369B6B_zps449x8zpp.png

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
Right side is my preference in terms of "feel", but not all buttons are created equal, and some just feel better than others regardless of the shape.

I do want to swap my sticks to the ball top candy-cab style because I think they feel better in the hand and are generally superior build quality.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Right side is my preference in terms of "feel", but not all buttons are created equal, and some just feel better than others regardless of the shape.

I do want to swap my sticks to the ball top candy-cab style because I think they feel better in the hand and are generally superior build quality.

Totally, nothing beats the feeling of a Balltop Sanwa stick with an octogonal restrictor.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I think it's a complete atrocity to use those Japanese buttons on a dedicated American cabinet. But since most of us familiarized ourselves with neogeo gaming using the home console joysticks, it's somewhat understandable; especially with the younger generation, to implement them.

Personally, I would never do it, and I could never play with them.

And dude, neogeo is one thing, but if I ever saw those garbage metal candy cab style buttons & sticks on a wooden dedicated MK2 or KI on location, not only would I laugh my ass off & refuse to play, I would literally bitch slap the operator!

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I use IL convex. I know concave is traditional for american cabs but I hate convex buttons on anything other than pinball.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
i currently have concave, but i will be switching to convex. just prefer it, probably because i prefer Japanese buttons and sticks

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I'm really big about keeping everything original, but I just would never play an AES with Concave buttons, so I see no reason to with my dedicated. I kept the original buttons and cherry switches. Next up, Sanwa sticks! :emb:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I think it's a complete atrocity to use those Japanese buttons on a dedicated American cabinet. But since most of us familiarized ourselves with neogeo gaming using the home console joysticks, it's somewhat understandable; especially with the younger generation, to implement them.

Personally, I would never do it, and I could never play with them.

And dude, neogeo is one thing, but if I ever saw those garbage metal candy cab style buttons & sticks on a wooden dedicated MK2 or KI on location, not only would I laugh my ass off & refuse to play, I would literally bitch slap the operator!

Before you bitch slap me, I needz some SVC Plus greatness~

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I voted for stock curved inward buttons. I've been using them since the early 90s, they feel right, they play right, and not having it that way would just be straight up wrong. I've never touched an arcade or pinball machine (flippers) that had a button popping out and not in would just put me completely off.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
as long as can still reverse it at a later time if you want to, I don't see any harm in changing the buttons/sticks... it's just a cab after all, there to be played and enjoyed.

I only played a Neo cab on vacation when I was super young and don't even remember what kind of buttons where in it, so I don't have any emotional approach to this.

grimmythereaper

Quiz Detective
it depends on what im playing, ifs its a fighting game i do prefer convex buttons, they help keep track of where i am on the CP, but for other types of games i can either way.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I grew up using Happ concave and battops. For my Neos I use Convex with a soft cherry switch. IL battops as well.

Spoiler:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1466370322.897984.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1466370336.033358.jpg
I thought about replacing the overlay on the Goldie, but decided I like the look.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Happ concave buttons feel more suited for big, rapid, intense fire action. For any other game style, I'd take convex over concave any day of the week.

What I cannot stand are bat tops. Simply can't. I grew up with those and still can't manage to have a little bit of sympathy for those. I guess the Playstation's ASCII stick was the only one I liked using a bat top.

Black_Tiger

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Only concave buttons on a cabinet will ever feel natural to me.

I also prefer them for console pads and sticks, but it's not as big of a deal.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I grew up using Happ concave and battops. For my Neos I use Convex with a soft cherry switch. IL battops as well.

Spoiler:
View attachment 36842
View attachment 36843
I thought about replacing the overlay on the Goldie, but decided I like the look.

I think we've discussed the shaft washer before also, still looks funny (to me) to be under the CP.

Battop and concave buttons for me

fluxcore

Another Striker
Not quite so applicable for NG fighting games, but if you ever need to mash (mvc2!) convex are your friends :) Got used to them enough that I don't really like concave buttons any more.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I'm 31 so guess I'm the new generation cause jpn sticks and buttons feel right to me. I would open the button holes slightly(about 2mm, you can get away with less with screw type) and throw in some seimitsu ps14gns and while I was at it fabricate Acouple of brackets for some ls32s/ls40s. But I am an offender of not keeping things original.

Last edited:

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Concave for stand up cabinets and convex for sit-down cabinets. That's the way it should be.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
If it's an American cab I've got to put Convex buttons in there. After they came out and I tried them out, I couldn't go back.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
If it's an American cab I've got to put Convex buttons in there. After they came out and I tried them out, I couldn't go back.

I can't believe how much better gaming on my MVS is now with Convex. Definitely a logical upgrade for competitive games.