$22k for a FAKE Big Tournament Golf

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Who paid $22K for this? Was it a noob or a big tymer? If it was just some rando, I kind of wonder how much they care it's fake. Maybe they just wanted to donate, and in their mind as long as it is "Neo Geo game" this price is still justified and they still get bragging rights.

FTL

AES Price Guide Analyst, International Moderator,
Staff member
Who paid $22K for this? Was it a noob or a big tymer? If it was just some rando, I kind of wonder how much they care it's fake. Maybe they just wanted to donate, and in their mind as long as it is "Neo Geo game" this price is still justified and they still get bragging rights.

here is the buyer

ps someone speaking japanese should give him heads up

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Welp. If it's fake, that's too bad. Seems excited for it, and the post implies it was a serious expense for the year.

FTL

Staff member
Welp. If it's fake, that's too bad. Seems excited for it, and the post implies it was a serious expense for the year.

You know Alec, I remember talking 20 years ago with Carlson (16-bit) about the real danger for neo geo collectors to buy fakes thinking it was the real deal...Carlson said there was no need to worry, the market was far from being flooded with perfect replicas....the time has now come

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You know Alec, I remember talking 20 years ago with Carlson (16-bit) about the real danger for neo geo collectors to buy fakes thinking it was the real deal...Carlson said there was no need to worry, the market was far from being flooded with perfect replicas....the time has now come

Also don't forget that we are far enough in the future that there's a whole generation of noobs getting into this that have never seen the real thing so they have nothing to compare these boots to.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Just FYI, the seal on the left reads as:

原裝行貨

which is not Japanese, but Chinese: "Yuánzhuāng hánghuò", something like "Officially Licensed" I think.

On the right, you have:

開封無效

which *may* be Japanese ("kaihou-mukou"), meaning "void opening", but looks way more Taiwanese to me. You can also see the SNK logo is written in unofficial typeface/font. Hence, I would say those seals are not from the oriiginal manifacturer (SNK of Japan), but either from some local distributor or shop. :-)

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yeah. I think we arrived at that point quite some time ago. A lot has changed since then.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Whenever 22k is on the line, fakes will become REAL good. The money is just too tempting for scammers.

Even if real, f that.

FTL

Staff member
Also don't forget that we are far enough in the future that there's a whole generation of noobs getting into this that have never seen the real thing so they have nothing to compare these boots to.
Good point.
Almost all expensive home carts were reproduced years ago, in quite good numbers: and new comers in neo geo collecting world are building shelves full of fakes...with a big smile on their faces...

back in the days at least we had NGF and corrected inserts. drama..seems like heaven compared to nowadays times.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Just FY

Just FYI, the seal on the left reads as:

原裝行貨

which is not Japanese, but Chinese: "Yuánzhuāng hánghuò", something like "Officially Licensed" I think.

On the right, you have:

開封無效

which *may* be Japanese ("kaihou-mukou"), meaning "void opening", but looks way more Taiwanese to me. You can also see the SNK logo is written in unofficial typeface/font. Hence, I would say those seals are not from the oriiginal manifacturer (SNK of Japan), but either from some local distributor or shop. :-)

I have confirmed via a friend to many here (including myself) Wilson out in HK that the one on the left follows the following format:

1st row: SNK (duh)
2nd row: Official Product
3rd row: Name of the company - in the pic of my label, it happens to be Eternity Electronic Games Ltd, which of course was disolved a long time ago.

These stickers were basically SNK Hong Kong distributor specific at that time apparently.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
That's what I thought. Just like Guillemot in France added French-language "addendum" within the carts. It's no mistery official distributors used to customize their officially distributed products to their local customers.

That's what NGF-USA also tried to do, and rightfully, yet in in not-so-smart ways I would say. Most likely, the were just too young and too much on the "fan" side to run an adult business as full-fledged adult businessmen. Too bad though. Chris Ray in particular personally proved to me to have great passion, honest interest and true knowledge about the system.

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I dont think there is enough evidence to call it "fake". The sealing sticker could be explained by a snaplock swap or SNK just being inconsistent and there are other instances where SNK had made minor changes to inserts so without actually inspecting it, nobody will ever know.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
So funny thing, I pulled out my JPN KOF2k2 to play today and look what I found inside.

IjP6grH.jpg

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
Anyone who buys high value Neo carts from auction sites is insane.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
The poor guy seems so happy on twitter. Finding out that it's a fake is gonna suck

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I must be the only person who throws these sealing stickers away, on soft cases I just take it off and clean up the gunk. No thanks

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
The poor guy seems so happy on twitter. Finding out that it's a fake is gonna suck

ahaha that dude gets a super duper triple trifecta mega lol award

- spending $22k on a video game
- spending $22k on a fake video game
- spending $22k on a fake video game and broadcasting his happiness about it on social media

what a dumbass :timid:

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
The guy who bought it doesn't play much anyway. The ball tops on those PS2 Neo sticks also crack when you just look at them.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
So funny thing, I pulled out my JPN KOF2k2 to play today and look what I found inside.

IjP6grH.jpg
Well, I bought several factory sealed cartons of KoF 2K2 and other Playmore releases and NOT once did they have that sealing sticker on any of the carts.
That was either applied by the store that sold it, or it's a NCI boot.... or someone has swapped the snaplock.

The only 2K2's I've seen with that sticker are bootlegs. Crack the cart open, I hope for your sake it's legit and there's a perfectly innocent explanation as to why you have a sealing sticker that should not be there.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Well, I bought several factory sealed cartons of KoF 2K2 and other Playmore releases and NOT once did they have that sealing sticker on any of the carts.
That was either applied by the store that sold it, or it's a NCI boot.... or someone has swapped the snaplock.

The only 2K2's I've seen with that sticker are bootlegs. Crack the cart open, I hope for your sake it's legit and there's a perfectly innocent explanation as to why you have a sealing sticker that should not be there.

Should be easy to tell an NCI bootleg from a real KOF 2k2 just from the edge connectors. The real deal should be a dark gray color with some pins connected together to make extra wide pins.

The NCI bootleg would be standard green with only individal pins across both boards.