2 Slot goldie EL Transformer whine

mhkohne

n00b
10 Year Member
OK, I just replaced the EL panels in my 2 slot (I actually got the panels like a year ago, just got around to putting them on.).

They work great, but the transformer whines something fierce.

I've only had the cab about 4 years, and I've had the transformer unplugged all that time (no sense making it try to run dead panels!).

Is there any reasonable fix for the whining transformer? I can't just leave it doing that it's gonna drive me nuts.

Is there something I should be re-soldering, or somewhere I should be shimming the transformer to eliminate the movement that's causing the noise?

mhkohne

n00b
10 Year Member
Oh, and a side note: I can NOT recommend EL-Works for the panels. They are very nice people, but after I had to backorder the panels (I tried to originally order just before burning man!) their systems decided to completely bugger up my shipping. At one point their computer system had decided the panels shipped when they hadn't (they hadn't gotten any stock in yet!), later it got dropped completely, later a fail to send again, then more waiting, etc, etc.

They DID make good on the order, but it took a long time (like 6 months). They were uniformly pleasant and nice to deal with, but I wouldn't buy anything there again.