161in1 understanding its logic.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
I have made it so it does the 'giga power' logo at startup in MVS mode and then after every 6th game where the bios chooses a game at random. If you manually swap games, those will not count to show the logo again. In console mode it will show the 'max 330 mega' logo once at power on and then the logo will appear never again (this is how it is on real AES).

I also made it so at power on it boots to a random game providing you let the jingle complete. If you manually swap games before it completes it will assume its 2020 super baseball (first game in the list).

Awesome.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Sweet changes! Any chance of having it boot to the last game selected on power on? Maybe the last selected game could be written to memory card or backup RAM?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Sweet changes! Any chance of having it boot to the last game selected on power on? Maybe the last selected game could be written to memory card or backup RAM?

Yes I can do that but once the attrach mode ends it will move onto a random game.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Yes I can do that but once the attrach mode ends it will move onto a random game.

That's an excellent idea and a very useful function. I know mine will almost always boot up to Puzzle Bobble :D

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
That's an excellent idea and a very useful function. I know mine will almost always boot up to Puzzle Bobble :D

Yup, you just need to make sure though the game playing (or in attract mode) is Puzzle Bobble when you power off.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I have made it so it does the 'giga power' logo at startup in MVS mode and then after every 6th game where the bios chooses a game at random. If you manually swap games, those will not count to show the logo again. In console mode it will show the 'max 330 mega' logo once at power on and then the logo will appear never again (this is how it is on real

This is great. Thank you for being so accommodating of our requests.

It's nice to boot with the Giga Power logo on MVS on launch. When the 6th game shows the logo screen - is this logo screen pulled from the game to be booted (some games have unique logo jingles for example), or will it always be the Giga Power logo and jingle pulled from somewhere else?

Would be a shame if we missed out on some of those unique logo jingles.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I was also wondering about the "Winners Don't Use Drugs" and "Don't Litter" etc. screens. I re-watched the demo video and did not see them. Is there any way we can get them back? Maybe again once every 6 games (if thee game has one of these screens)? For me seeng those screens is another big part of the arcade experience. Would be a shame to see them go!

Thanks again for your attention Raz!

Neogeoman106st

Crossed Swords Squire
I was also wondering about the "Winners Don't Use Drugs" and "Don't Litter" etc. screens. I re-watched the demo video and did not see them. Is there any way we can get them back? Maybe again once every 6 games (if thee game has one of these screens)? For me seeng those screens is another big part of the arcade experience. Would be a shame to see them go!

I agree with this as well.

Also very nice Job Raz. i currently use a free 3.2 bio's but i would totally buy the new Unibios once it comes out on 4.0. Along with a 161-1 cart haha

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
This is great. Thank you for being so accommodating of our requests.

It's nice to boot with the Giga Power logo on MVS on launch. When the 6th game shows the logo screen - is this logo screen pulled from the game to be booted (some games have unique logo jingles for example), or will it always be the Giga Power logo and jingle pulled from somewhere else?

Would be a shame if we missed out on some of those unique logo jingles.

Multislots do not work that way. They always show the jingle from one of the 6 games only and if they can they will never show the newer jingle. I have made it so it uses the newer jingle from kof99 only.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member

It shows the winners dont use drugs and japanese warning screen just fine when your in the correct region right after the jingle after x game. Are you saying you want me to disable game swapping when the these are showing also though just like on real hardware also? People probably would not like that.

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
Any reason that it would not work on AES + Magic Key?
Not all the features, just the better, cleaned-up and faster selection/pop-up menu.
I understand the lack of BRAM causes some/many features not to work on AES but just the selection code/pop-up menu alone should work. Shouldn't it?
[I admit my extreme ignorance on the deep differences between AES and MVS aside the missing sound/fonts ROMs and the moved chip ( PRO-CT0 / NEO-ZMC2 chip / NEO-CMC / whatever it is)]

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Any reason that it would not work on AES + Magic Key?
Not all the features, just the better, cleaned-up and faster selection/pop-up menu.
I understand the lack of BRAM causes some/many features not to work on AES but just the selection code/pop-up menu alone should work. Shouldn't it?
[I admit my extreme ignorance on the deep differences between AES and MVS aside the missing sound/fonts ROMs and the moved chip ( PRO-CT0 / NEO-ZMC2 chip / NEO-CMC / whatever it is)]

Because of the space limitations (in the bios) the problem is I already use backupRAM to build the popup game list menu. If I can find a way to make space in the bios so I can store a table of games (in the bios) then I can do it, but it is highly unlikley. So the problem on AES as it is now is the popup list, both in memory needs and because I'm using tiles only found on the MVS internal sfix ROM.

[edit]

Just to put that in prospective... As it is now, I have a table of 0x58 bytes in the bios that allows me to cycle through the 98 games so I can get their NGH numbers. All this is done so I can save having to have a table of 0xAE words in the bios. Its been an absolute ball ache just getting the MVS side to fit..

Last edited:

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
Because of the space limitations (in the bios) the problem is I already use backupRAM to build the popup game list menu. If I can find a way to make space in the bios so I can store a table of games (in the bios) then I can do it, but it is highly unlikley. So the problem on AES as it is now is the popup list, both in memory needs and because I'm using tiles only found on the MVS internal sfix ROM.

[edit]

Just to put that in prospective... As it is now, I have a table of 0x58 bytes in the bios that allows me to cycle through the 98 games so I can get their NGH numbers. All this is done so I can save having to have a table of 0xAE words in the bios. Its been an absolute ball ache just getting the MVS side to fit..

Any chance at all you can use the memcard instead of BRAM? I am using a 64KB 16bit SRAM memcard that has plenty of space, maybe a third exclamation mark in the name could be the signal to allow its usage for 161 carts special unibios goodies.

BTW just thinking out loud here if I get annoying I'll shut up.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Any chance at all you can use the memcard instead of BRAM? I am using a 64KB 16bit SRAM memcard that has plenty of space, maybe a third exclamation mark in the name could be the signal to allow its usage for 161 carts special unibios goodies.

BTW just thinking out loud here if I get annoying I'll shut up.

No problem on thinking out loud, I have though about using space on a memory card also. I would really like to make the space in the bios though as it keeps things more simple. Believe me when I say I would love the feature to support AES also and if there is a way I can do it easily, I certinally will. Its all about creating the space.

Also, here is a screenshot of the popup game list in emulation (MVS). I know the videos did not show it so well so here it is as stands now.

kof99h001.png

Hopefully this will show you guys what I am trying to achieve with the 'PICnMIX' texts. I want it to appear like that text is floating above the gamelist. As the game list scrolls, it goes under the text.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
It looks great. I couldn't be more impressed. This really adds value to the cart. Only thing I'm not sold on is the "PICnMIX" text. Why not just "161-in-1" to show the user what cartridge is actually being used? My 2 cents.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
yea, the 'PICnMIX' is defo not final but I do want to think of a cool name for the feature. Sort of like what I did with 'Phoenix' for CPS2 and unibios for NeoGeo Bios. Part of me thinks 'PICnMIX might grow on people as a feature name.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
yea, the 'PICnMIX' is defo not final but I do want to think of a cool name for the feature. Sort of like what I did with 'Phoenix' for CPS2 and unibios for NeoGeo Bios. Part of me thinks 'PICnMIX might grow on people as a feature name.

I would use "PICKnMIX" instead if you want something along those lines and just put it in one corner instead of duplicated to two. Just my thoughts, looks great as-is.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
How about

1) PICKnMIX161
2) 161n1-PICKnMIX
3) 161-PICKnMIX

I think a variant in that regard would encompass both qualities. I think I like the third option the best.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Soo forgive my ignorance but this is going in the mvs system bios to make the cart work this way or is it in the cart itself sort of like a reprogroming of the cart?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Soo forgive my ignorance but this is going in the mvs system bios to make the cart work this way or is it in the cart itself sort of like a reprogroming of the cart?

It's a new Unibios feature.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
How about

1) PICKnMIX161
2) 161n1-PICKnMIX
3) 161-PICKnMIX

I think a variant in that regard would encompass both qualities. I think I like the third option the best.

Technically won't it be 97-PICKnMIX?

How about add a little Rot flavor, xxPICKnMIXxx? :-J

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Also, here is a screenshot of the popup game list in emulation (MVS).

I know you're recycling your window design from NeoGeoLand, and there's only so much you can do within the BIOS space, but let's take a look at the old window:

NeoGeoLandMenu.jpg

It has two things going for it: cleaner look and additional space where the button functions are shown. I know we can't have the buttons here, but we don't need them, and instead, we could use that space for any and all additional information. "Universe Bios Pick n' Mix - 161 in 1" or whatever. This way, you wouldn't have to place text over the game titles, double it in the corners to keep visual balance or have those horizontal bracket lines.

If you'd ever add support for other multis, you could display which multi the Neo is currently running, etc. Just food for thought. Also, was the yellow border supposed to match the color of the case? Personally, I'd keep this window visually consistent with the rest of the Uni Bios 4.0.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
neogeoland020.png
I know you're recycling your window design from NeoGeoLand, and there's only so much you can do within the BIOS space, but let's take a look at the old window:

View attachment 48584

It has two things going for it: cleaner look and additional space where the button functions are shown. I know we can't have the buttons here, but we don't need them, and instead, we could use that space for any and all additional information. "Universe Bios Pick n' Mix - 161 in 1" or whatever. This way, you wouldn't have to place text over the game titles, double it in the corners to keep visual balance or have those horizontal bracket lines.

If you'd ever add support for other multis, you could display which multi the Neo is currently running, etc. Just food for thought. Also, was the yellow border supposed to match the color of the case? Personally, I'd keep this window visually consistent with the rest of the Uni Bios 4.0.

The problem here is that is not the NeoGeoLand popup menu, that is the main menu (I grant you it looks very simular though). The NeoGeoLand popup has NeoGeoLand written across the top left and no text across the bottom. See below.

neogeoland020.png

Last edited: