160 in 1 muti MVS cart sound issues

I have a multi cart that has issues. I got it from jamma boards before they closed and have issues with the sound. The sounds volume will go in and out during the game. The rest of the game works fine, but the sound make it hard to play. Any recommendations on how to resolve this issue?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
See my thread on fixing PCM issues. It's most likely you need 2 x 47pF caps on the connections related to the PCM bus. You might also consider adding a 3.3v regulator like I did. Before you do anything, clean your cart connections. There's a chance you have a fault or bad solder point on your 161 in 1 but to be honest the sound cutting out etc is a known issue and the caps fix it. What games are you having sound issues with primarily? ie. do you find some games sound OK where others the sound volume increases and decreases a lot and the sound cuts out completely?

seem like all of the games have some level of sound issues, was playing 1945, pulsar, and a couple of others. I have also hear the sound issue on metal slug games. I had seen a video online about the surface mounted transistor and caps. Which one is yours and will take a look. You got a ton of videos in your channel. is this the one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwHHIpLcjdE

if so what caps/transitors do i need and where do you get them from? mouser? or another source

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I have a multi cart that has issues. I got it from jamma boards before they closed and have issues with the sound. The sounds volume will go in and out during the game. The rest of the game works fine, but the sound make it hard to play. Any recommendations on how to resolve this issue?

Strikers does this on mine. The volume will be really low, then get really loud and scratchy, then go back. It's the nature of these things. I'm too lazy to fix mine.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
That needs the 47pF caps - and the issues starfighter described above. Order yourself 2 ceramic 47pF (not uF, pF!!!) caps and fit them to the places shown in the images earlier in this thread. That will fix up the sound across many games - Pulstar, Metal Slugs, 1945 etc.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
seem like all of the games have some level of sound issues, was playing 1945, pulsar, and a couple of others. I have also hear the sound issue on metal slug games. I had seen a video online about the surface mounted transistor and caps. Which one is yours and will take a look. You got a ton of videos in your channel. is this the one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwHHIpLcjdE

if so what caps/transitors do i need and where do you get them from? mouser? or another source
Yes, and if you look at the notes / description on that video on YouTube - there are some photos you can download to see where to add the caps. Regulator mod (in a later 161 in 1 video I did) is optional - will probably extend the life of the cart if anything.

one last question, what is the lowest voltage rating that you would allow on the caps? I am assuming 5 volts... some 80's sound chips require 12 volts so want to make sure.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
5v is fine, most the ceramic caps will be 50v probably. The board only uses 3.3v, with 5v inputs from the MVS.