Search results

1. S

Three coffee table comprehensive SNES books by three different gamers

Jeffrey Wittenhagen wrote and published the first comprehensive SNES book. https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-alley-books/products/the-complete-snes-second-edition-hardcover-book Because I contributed to it, I received a copy of it. It's definitely a massive labor of...
  2. S

A tribute to my favorite X-Men: The Animated Series episode, Nightcrawler, which turns 23

years old today! Originally aired May 13, 1995. I've recreated the episode in its entirety through written and picture form for anyone who wishes to relive this fantastic episode, or even view it for the very first time. The transcription is 99% accurate, with minor liberties added which I could...
  3. S

Any 16-bit puzzle games better than Tetris Attack in your opinion?

I recently started playing Tetris Attack with my GF and we're hooked. We meant to play a quick match or two this past weekend and before we knew it, two hours passed and it was 2 AM. Any 16-bit puzzle games you believe are better than TA? Any TA memories/rants also welcomed. Damn is it a fun...
  4. S

Switched: How Nintendo Won Me Back

Let me preface this by saying I have not bought a game system in nearly 12 years. In fact, for the last 12 years I would say 95% of my game playing has been via the SNES. I don't hate "modern" games. I just never cared enough to buy the systems and thus, I missed out on most games released in...
  5. S

Happy 25th anniversary to... WORLD HEROES!

That's right! July 28, 1992, World Heroes hit arcades. Today's July 28, 2017. It's been 25 years. Share your memories (and rants) here. 1. Where were you the first time you played it? 2. Did you like it then? 3. Has your opinion of the first WH game changed any today from 25 years ago? Time...
  6. S

The "I finally played [classic game] and here are my thoughts on it" thread

I really liked the ActRaiser thread and wanted to make something more general. Anytime you play an old video game for the first time and have some thoughts, feel free to share it here. I finally played Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (SNES). Now, I'm sure I played it briefly back in 1993 as a kid...
  7. S

WWE superstars play Windjammers

From Austin Creed's gaming channel UP UP DOWN DOWN (cool name). He's a member of the tag champs "The New Day" and wrestles under the moniker of Xavier Woods. Huge gamer. Some audio hiccups (i.e. too loud in the beginning) but worth a curious scan if you're a huge Windjammers fan. HwdFVrIlOmM
  8. S

Gamera 2015 trailer

Came out this weekend at NY Comic Con. HOLY SHIT. I really enjoyed the '90s Gamera Trilogy, and this looks along the lines of that style, except perhaps a bit darker in mood... Between this, Godzilla 2016 Japan, Skull Island 2017, Godzilla 2018 America and 2020 (??) Godzilla vs. King Kong...
  9. S

Trailer for new SNES game "Justice Beaver" has launched

First trailer for this game came out this weekend, and it's looking very promising. The graphics are very well done and convinces me that this was a legit SNES release circa 1993/1994. OuX3ujL6xQw It's a work in progress but I'm hoping they fix a few things: -HUD is excessively big. We don't...
  10. S

Guess which "classic" SNES game turns 20 today?

August 30, 1995. Today marks 20 years since Killer Instinct came home to the SNES. Wow. If that doesn't make you feel old. Share your SNES Killer Instinct stories here! Anyone buy it on launch day? What did you think of the port back in 1995? How do you feel about it today? It seems people are...
  11. S

About to search eBay, but do any of these games go for $15-$20+?

My brother unloaded me two boxes of PS2/PS3/XBOX360 games. They are all complete and in PRISTINE condition. Like I said, I'm about to do the slow search on eBay to see if anything rings up as, say, $15 or more. I don't know the market at all, so hoping for someone who does who can help point me...
  12. S

TOHO to produce and release a NEW Godzilla movie in 2016!

Couple days old but I don't see a thread for this, and I believe the old 2014 Legendary Godzilla thread has fallen off the map with no way to resurrect it. Thoughts on this news? Personally, I'm excited to see what a Japanese Toho Godzilla film will be like in 2016. Final Wars (2004) was a bit...
  13. S

Your memories/rants/thoughts on Mortal Kombat II's 20th anniversary today (MORTAL FRIDAY!)

Today, 9.9.14 marks the 20th (wow, time flies!) anniversary of Mortal Kombat II hitting game consoles (SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, Game Gear). Post your memories, nostalgic stories and/or rants here. My bro and I bought it immediately on MORTAL FRIDAY right after school. It's the only game I can...
  14. S

Legendary heading towards a Godzilla vs. King Kong collision in the 2020s?

Comic Con revealed that Legendary's mystery movie is Skull Island (a King Kong flick). It remains to be seen how big Kong will be, but if he is bigger than normal previous editions, I think it's a decent shot you will see a Kong and Godzilla showdown sometime in the 2020s. It looks like the...
  15. S

[BOOK] Memoirs of a Virtual Caveman -- AVAILABLE JULY 15!

Rob Strangman, owner of the OPCFG website, has completed "Memoirs of a Virtual Caveman." It's a 472 page book, complete with pictures, of Rob's gaming related stories, as well as guest stories from a host of others (including moi). In addition, there are also industry insider interviews...
  16. S

Anyone seen Supernatural the TV show?

I got into it last month after my cousin kept bugging me about it. I have always been a monster/ghost lover, so this looked right up my alley. Into Season 7 now. Really enjoyed Seasons 1-5. 6 was a bit of a bust/dull though. I hear 7 is the most disliked by fans, but so far I'm liking 7 more...
  17. S

[BOOK] Memoirs of a Virtual Caveman... coming JUNE 2014

One of my pals (Rob, from the classic gaming website OPCFG… we're talking late '90s here, people!) is self-publishing a book of video game memories/stories from the "golden age of gaming" this June. It's called Memoirs of a Virtual Caveman. It was actually published in 2008 originally, but this...
  18. S

GRABBERS streaming on Netflix

Saw this and thought the NG demographic might enjoy it. It's a recently released creature feature B-flick involving squid like alien monsters, lots of booze and good old fashion comedy horror. I liked it, and recommend it. http://bloody-disgusting.com/film/114591/grabbers-2/ the main cat has a...
  19. S

RETRO Magazine officially funded from Kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/socalmike/retro-the-multi-format-throw-back-video-game-magaz Should have posted this here earlier as it ended earlier tonight, but if you haven't already heard, RETRO Magazine is happening. "Three decades of your favorite video game journalists have been...
  20. S

Weeding out old "out of season" acquaintances/friends

Been a while since I made a Steve life-type post, and thought I ramble on for a bit here. Seasons change, life changes. Most of us have experienced this -- whether it was us doing it or it was us being done to -- but you have a group of friends for a time, and over time you just move on. It's...