What book(s) are you currently reading?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Stars Uncharted by S.K. Dunstall. Most fun sci-fi romp I’ve had, since Jack McKinney’s Black Hole Travel Agency series. And like Jack McKinney-S.K. Dunstall is the pen name of a two person writing team.

Halfway through book 1; book 2 should arrive Friday.

Last edited:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Currently reading The Map of the Sky by Felix J. Palma. Second book in a trilogy in which H.G. Wells is the unlikely protagonist and is constantly getting into all sorts of fuckery. Really enjoyed the first one, about 50 pages into this one and we are already off in a completely bizarre new set of circumstances in late 1800’s England.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Metropolis. I have about 50 pages left. Not sure what to grab next.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Currently reading ‘The Algebraist’ by Iain M Banks. Also started listening to the Fellowship of the Rings on audiobook while on long haul flights recently, I’m a 1/4 through and think I’ll continue listening to it on my commute.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I feel like a hack fraud for seeing this thread come up and not having read any cool book for a while. Time to rectify it

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Time to rectify it

This was me also. ^
We’ve got the ‘what are you comic booking/video game playing/listening to/movie/and tv show’ threads

…if we had a books one, it hasn’t been bumped in awhile.

Looking forward to checking out what’s been posted so far, and tons more inspiration for reads in the future.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
really wish I made more time to read. I'm slowly working through:
Armageddon: What the Bible Really Says About the End

It's from a former Evangelical, who still teaches New Testament at NC-Chapel Hill. His lectures pretty much destroy Christian teachings, but he does it in a disarming and fun way. It's like learning the actual history of that time period without the religious veil.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I recently finished Mark Frost's 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks.' If you're a fan of the series, I think it's a must-read. It's lain out like an FBI dossier with all sorts of artifacts along with the notes of the agent working on the case. I loved it.

Haven't started anything new yet since though. My kids have magazine sales every year for their school, so I'm subscribed to a bunch, and I just got my Civil War Times this past week which is a quarterly journal, so I've been going through that the past few days. Yes, I'm a history nerd. Ha
But I'll grab something new to read soon, especially with summer just about here. I like reading on the deck while the kids run around in the yard.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
1685457716035.png

New translation of the Heptameron. I'm bouncing around a few different books at the moment. Predominantly occult. I think I have to fit in that Secret History of Twin Peaks though!

fake

15 Year Member
I'm now on Borne by VanderMeer. I loved the Southern Reach books, so I'm expecting to like this.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Decided to read a few things I had on my bookshelf I hadn’t got to yet instead of buying more sword and sorcery genre fiction.

Just finished the first Chapter of Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. Someone gave me the book in like 2006-7 maybe?

really wish I made more time to read. I'm slowly working through:
Armageddon: What the Bible Really Says About the End

It's from a former Evangelical, who still teaches New Testament at NC-Chapel Hill. His lectures pretty much destroy Christian teachings, but he does it in a disarming and fun way. It's like learning the actual history of that time period without the religious veil.

Is this a new book? I feel like I heard an interview with this author recently on NPR.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Decided to read a few things I had on my bookshelf I hadn’t got to yet instead of buying more sword and sorcery genre fiction.

Just finished the first Chapter of Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. Someone gave me the book in like 2006-7 maybe?

Is this a new book? I feel like I heard an interview with this author recently on NPR.

Yeah. this is like his 8th book, and it just came out so he's been doing tours. His lectures are much better than his books.

Theruff

Cheng's Errand Boy
Decided I wanted to revisit some classic books from my childhood. Thought I’d start off with Catcher in the Rye. It’s a lovely trip down memory lane, even if it isn’t as good as I remembered.

After this I’m reading The Time Thief by Terry Pratchet.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Decided I wanted to revisit some classic books from my childhood. Thought I’d start off with Catcher in the Rye. It’s a lovely trip down memory lane, even if it isn’t as good as I remembered.

After this I’m reading The Time Thief by Terry Pratchet.
Ho boy. Glad you’re reading the classics. Thankfully nothing else worh reading has ever been released. (Including your brilliant authors mentioned.) gotta love familiarity! 8:::::::::> ya face, tard.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member

It’s interesting re-reading books as an adult. The books stay the same but you have changed.

Catcher in the Rye as a teenager might feel like deep thought provoking shit, but as an adult it just reads like a moany little bitch without any real problems being a moany little bitch. I wonder if the author intended that.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Currently reading ‘The Algebraist’ by Iain M Banks.
Part of The Culture?

I just started The Three Body Problem. Literally just one chapter in from last night. Three books in the series.

I'd heard about it on some YouTube vid. Looked up the book. Turns out there's a Netflix series coming, and a Chinese made series as well. The Netflix series is being made by the same people who made Game of Thrones.

Figured I'd read the books before the show comes out.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Part of The Culture?

Nah it’s a stand alone, I thought I’d try that before going too deep into a series of books. It’s been a good read, might try the culture next.

I’ll keep an eye out for the Netflix adaptations, didn’t know that was going to be a thing - thanks.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Pillars Of The Earth. It's amazing so far.

prof

Ballzdeep in Dune at the moment. Haven't read it since high school. So good.
20230620-102154.jpg

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Listening to The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski as I've always been interested in the Witcher stories. Very well done voicework on Audible.

Theruff

Cheng's Errand Boy
Catcher in the Rye as a teenager might feel like deep thought provoking shit, but as an adult it just reads like a moany little bitch without any real problems being a moany little bitch.
What else would you expect from a New Yorker? Honestly surprised this book ever became popular, even if it is a decent read.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Ballzdeep in Dune at the moment. Haven't read it since high school. So good.
20230620-102154.jpg

Cool edition of the book. Is it a newer print? Looks like it’s trying to emulate older sci-fi stuff.

I unfortunately just have a series of shitty paperbacks for all my dune books.

prof

Cool edition of the book. Is it a newer print? Looks like it’s trying to emulate older sci-fi stuff.

I unfortunately just have a series of shitty paperbacks for all my dune books.

I picked it up a while back though, and feel like the price has gone up. But maybe they had a sale going when I got it. They do this leatherbound line for a ton of different classics. They're pretty nice.