Mobile games suck...

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
But I gotta say, I've really been enjoying Honkai Star Rail. I think it's the same peeps who make Genshin Impact. Which I have never played.

No idea when or how they monetize but I'm about 2 hrs in and it's quite the AAA console experience so far.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
mobile games have been dead for more than 5 years. What you have is a cash app with an anime theme.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I took one look at that game and went

giphy.gif

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
The only mobile game I ever got into beyond simple time killers like skeeball or solitaire was called Game Dev Story. It began as a windows game back in the 90s, but I discovered it on iphone back in the day. It's pretty addictive. Basically, you run a video game developer, so you design games and consoles, hire staff, present at trade shows, stuff like that. I loved it. Might try to see if it's still available for current phones actually, it's been over a decade since I played it.

U7fQvRBI6PXln-SnVqIv3LVewfP491mocHiXgQOLwy50l0PHXd3qZ7brT_rwKE-T0fc=w526-h296-rw

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
I like Kairosoft games too, but I prefer play on Switch now instead using my phone.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I like Kairosoft games too, but I prefer play on Switch now instead using my phone.
Cool, I didnt realize they were on switch now. Just looked it up and it looks like that game's available on everything now. Who knew? Thanks, man.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Mobile games suck for any number of reasons (why play on a tiny screen, why play anything remotely complex with touch-screen controls, why play manipulative Skinner box "games") but those weeb-bait games seem particularly egregious.

That said, I do have a couple of go-to word games that I paid actual human money for that don't have ads or microtransactions that I play while on the shitter.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I’ve been playing a lot of Riichi City lately. This is basically the best versus Riichi mahjong game I know of. I give it my highest recommendation in that area. It’s also a lot of pervert girly stuff and gift giving and limited availability outfits and that sort of nauseating garbage.

What sort of confuses me though is the way they handled the freemium/gacha crap. At first it seems like so many games where there are 12 kinds of currency and no way to straight up buy anything, only a *chance* at something. What’s different about this one though is that if you just want to play mahjong with people online you don’t need to participate in that bullshit even a little. You can still play even if you never buy a thing. I could be wrong about all of this, but it seems that alll the gacha shit exists completely outside of the actual game instead of ruining it.

Samson

Cheng's Errand Boy
Noob of the Year
Only mobile game I ever cared for was Cut The Rope and that was made a decade ago.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The industry strategy of including part of the game in a one-time use DLC code to deter used copies 10 years ago seems almost quaint in comparison to what we have nowadays now doesn't it.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I’ve been playing a lot of Riichi City lately. This is basically the best versus Riichi mahjong game I know of. I give it my highest recommendation in that area. It’s also a lot of pervert girly stuff and gift giving and limited availability outfits and that sort of nauseating garbage.

What sort of confuses me though is the way they handled the freemium/gacha crap. At first it seems like so many games where there are 12 kinds of currency and no way to straight up buy anything, only a *chance* at something. What’s different about this one though is that if you just want to play mahjong with people online you don’t need to participate in that bullshit even a little. You can still play even if you never buy a thing. I could be wrong about all of this, but it seems that alll the gacha shit exists completely outside of the actual game instead of ruining it.

Riichi City downloading now. Thanks.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
SNES Emulator on Android is superior to literally any mobile game.

Hans

In my bathroom I pee sitting. No splashing
Goob of the Year
Mobile games were good 10 years ago. Then developers realized they could make 10 times as much money by using their penises to code instead of their fingers

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Mobile games were good 10 years ago. Then developers realized they could make 10 times as much money by using their penises to code instead of their fingers
Interesting, because I find using my penis usually turns out to be the most costly thing I do