• RDNA 3 Graphics
  • 512GB PCI Express 4.0 SSD
  • 16GB RAM
  • MicroSD slot for storage expansion
  • Wi-Fi 6E
  • Windows 11 operating system
  • Haptic feedback
  • Fingerprint sensor for unlocking

more information about the ROG Ally, including pricing details, on May 11.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
windows. already gonna run games better just for that.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
True though you can install windows 11 on steamdeck. it does comes with 3 months xbox live gamepass. But I say most May have it and a bit like whats Microsofts deal with it. Also how is Asus customer service and the no touch pads is a no for me. I think the ufo aliemware did it better

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I don't get it, build a pc instead...

1.jpg

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
do you shoot yourself in the foot before running a race too?

Nah. My main desktop and laptop are on Windows 10 and 11. Just dreaming of a better future.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I bought one and now am selling my Steam Deck. I'm impressed with it - but it is not ready for mass consumer use. You have to spend a long time to properly set it up and make sure you update all the crappy stuff (Asus Armory Crate) in the right order - and then it will work.

The SD Card reader will burn up your SD card so I ordered a $200 2TB SSD upgrade that supposedly is easy to swap out.

I'm really enjoying using the Ally, but I can't really recommend it to anyone unless you're willing to fuss with it a bunch to get it going. Once it all gets up and running I much prefer it to the Steam Deck due to its power (much better graphics and performance) and the fact that any game / software just runs on it (unlike the Steam Deck). It took about two seconds to slap FightCade on there. One thing I prefer on the Steam Deck is the left analog stick felt a bit more sturdy and better for action games compared to the Ally.

TLDR: Very expensive better version of the Steam Deck (especially if you do a 2TB HD upgrade)- just a bitch to get up and running and it has some minor flaws (SD Cards burning, analog sticks are meh).

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
…it has some minor flaws (SD Cards burning...

Hey whats up RBjakeSpecial. Thanks for sharing! :buttrock:

This seems like a fairly significant defect though. Is this issue due to a faulty batch of readers that we can desolder and replace? Or are these cards burning up due to poor cooling/component heat and will therefore occur no matter what? I am glad to see some big competitors jump into the handheld pc arena, but if the issue is the latter, Asus’s offering having a major component time bomb that potentially impacts all models right out of the gate is a little concerning. I wouldn’t mind being patient if it means the next iteration will have improved cooling, etc.

Update: Users are reporting that the SD reader itself is failing due to high internal heat. Either way, seems like an issue worth keeping an eye on since Asus’s hardware seems like a promising Steam Deck alternative for those who would prefer a Windows-based solution out-of-the-box:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ROGAlly/comments/14ig93c

Last edited:

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Hey whats up RBjakeSpecial. Thanks for sharing! :buttrock:

This seems like a fairly significant defect though. Is this issue due to a faulty batch of readers that we can desolder and replace? Or are these cards burning up due to poor cooling/component heat and will therefore occur no matter what? I am glad to see some big competitors jump into the handheld pc arena, but if the issue is the latter, Asus’s offering having a major component time bomb that potentially impacts all models right out of the gate is a little concerning. I wouldn’t mind being patient if it means the next iteration will have improved cooling, etc.

Update: Users are reporting that the SD reader itself is failing due to high internal heat. Either way, seems like an issue worth keeping an eye on since Asus’s hardware seems like a promising Steam Deck alternative for those who would prefer a Windows-based solution out-of-the-box:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ROGAlly/comments/14ig93c

Yes! It's a big issue. The top of the system and hot air blowing out can get a bit hot at times. I just upgraded to a 2TB SSD (took about 5 minutes after watching a video, and then 2.5 hours of updating Windows, Armor Crate, MyAsus, Microsoft Windows Store - ugh). BUT now that that's all completed it's running really well and I am not worried about space anymore.

I think my favorite thing is the fact this is much more like a laptop. I have a docking station and now am using it just to surf the web. Putting things like FightCade or NetHack.. or anything that runs on windows where Steam Deck I would have to flip it into the Linux Desktop mode and figure out what the heck is going on.

I agree that a simple thing like the SD card getting overheated is a big issue. Additionally the Armor Crate program is AWFUL - seems really half baked and forced when you compare it to the Steam OS. That is kind of mitigated though cause you can just flip Steam into Big Picture mode and feels almost exactly like the Steam Deck - just with a lot more power.

So... I can't recommend the system to everyone - probably too much of a pain in the ass and just too kind of under cooked out of the box for the consumer market - but my buddy and I who have them are totally nuts about them. We're constantly tweaking things and enjoying the niche system.. but I predict this will be a complete commercial failure. I hope I'm wrong - but there's nothing about this that feels like it's ready for prime time.