Anyone collect board games? Just babbling about them.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Necro bump!! Just got the new Hero Quest Re-Release and it's beautiful! Getting ready to paint this bad boy up! Anyone have theirs painted and wanna show them off?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
My painting table is a bit dusty, but I've been meaning to get back to something soon. I picked up the new Army Painter Speed Paints with the intent of using them on boardgame minis. No need to do highly detailed mini's in most of these games. Warhammer Quest Cursed City will be getting reprinted. That and Space Hulk are probably next in my painting queue.

I didn't get back into Hero Quest. It's a game of a different era, and they didn't do anything to modernize it. That's good for the people that want the nostalgia, but not good for getting new fans.

It's been awhile, but this is what I've played recently. Covid has definitely slowed things down.
  • Shipwreck Arcana
  • Pandemic Season 0
  • Set A Watch
  • Micro Macro Crime City
  • Alien : Fate of the Nostromo
  • Project Elite

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Necro bump!! Just got the new Hero Quest Re-Release and it's beautiful! Getting ready to paint this bad boy up! Anyone have theirs painted and wanna show them off?
I just picked this up as well! GameStop had a pretty good sale on it this week. Problem is I don't have anyone around anymore that likes to play board games so I'm gonna try solo with the HeroQuest app playing the GameMaster. I hope it will be fun- I think it will be as I've never played before and I like similar era games like Key To The Kingdom and HeroScape.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I just picked this up as well! GameStop had a pretty good sale on it this week. Problem is I don't have anyone around anymore that likes to play board games so I'm gonna try solo with the HeroQuest app playing the GameMaster. I hope it will be fun- I think it will be as I've never played before and I like similar era games like Key To The Kingdom and HeroScape.
One thing that makes it so fun is that it is simple to get into and it's hard to die. It's super fun and accessible.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
My painting table is a bit dusty, but I've been meaning to get back to something soon. I picked up the new Army Painter Speed Paints with the intent of using them on boardgame minis. No need to do highly detailed mini's in most of these games. Warhammer Quest Cursed City will be getting reprinted. That and Space Hulk are probably next in my painting queue.

I didn't get back into Hero Quest. It's a game of a different era, and they didn't do anything to modernize it. That's good for the people that want the nostalgia, but not good for getting new fans.

It's been awhile, but this is what I've played recently. Covid has definitely slowed things down.
  • Shipwreck Arcana
  • Pandemic Season 0
  • Set A Watch
  • Micro Macro Crime City
  • Alien : Fate of the Nostromo
  • Project Elite
Sweet post anything you paint. I'll be posting stuff as it gets complete.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Gargoyle came out good!

Attachments

• 20220306_145203.jpg
    20220306_145203.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Painting Update: All of Cursed City is complete. Haven't worked on other boardgames, but I have Ankh that could probably use some paint.

GenCon 2022 was very successful. Mask and Vaccine Mandate didn't turn that many people away. Not pre Covid numbers, but still pack to a full Exhibit Hall.

Played a bunch of stuff lately. Lot of it 2 Player. (some wives are having a major tiff, and it's ruined all game nights)
  • Brass Birmingham - good, but thinky and stressful. I like Martin Wallace, but this is like homework.
  • Hidden leaders - interesting, but not that interesting
  • Arkham LCG - Cat approved
  • Skeptics - You are ghost hunters out to prove the existence of ghosts. Very Dice heavy - Fun!
  • Dungeoneer : Tomb of the Lich Lord - card based dungeon crawler, but not coop. Really cool system where everyone is out questing, but against each other. really glad I got this back out.
  • Aventuria : Not pictured. Adventure Card game. Layout of Arkham LCG + Deck mechanics of MTG + D&D combat. All card based. Gorgeous art from the Dark Eye. I don't think it's as good as Arkham LCG, but i think it's easier to get into. Price is high because it's smaller EU company.
  • DeckBox Dungeon - Not pictured. - very awesome dungeon crawler. app assisted. Lots of game in a tiny box. If you like dungeon crawlers, but dont like the massive work to setup, get 2 copies of this game.
  • MTG : Commander Format - Not pictured.- I made a Tribal Zombie deck and a Simic Ramp deck. really fun way to play MTG, but falls apart without 4 people.

Spoiler:

thumbnail_IMG_3816.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3878.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4187.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4240.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4275.jpg

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Dude your post and the one from Warhammer world from Shroom in the other thread are so awesome. I really need to go to a good game con.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
That's awesome. I still haven't taken the shrink wrap off of Cursed City 🤦‍♂️ just haven't been in the mood. This makes me want to get back into it.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Decided this needed a bump. Went to Geekway to the West - Mini a few weekends ago. Based in St Louis. This is their smaller one they run in addition to a larger convention. Few hundred people vs a few thousand.

• Merchants of the Dark Road - I won a copy of this at the event. It's very icon heavy. Played once. The action selection system is damn near impossible to decipher. thankfully someone had played before. I think there is a solid core game here, but I found the gameplay boring. Others were huge fans.

• White hat - This is trick taking game with a board, and a hacker theme on it. Looked kinda dumb, but we all really enjoyed it. Bought it after the convention.

• Ragnarocks - This is similar in style and gameplay to Santorini . Plays quickly. 2 player only, which I usually avoid. I won a copy of this game at the event as well. I'll keep it around as a filler game.

• Aliens - Bug Hunt - managed to finally get a win in this co-op game themed around 2nd Alien Movie.

• Roam - short filler game from Red Raven Games - Themeless IMO. Some people liked it, but wasn't worth picking up for my collection.

• Burn Cycle - Not the CDI game. This is a massive game with a cyberpunk setting. Most of the game is centered around infiltrating Corporations. Non combat oriented. This is what people call a lifestyle game because there's a lot of missions and depth. I would really like to own this, but only with a dedicated set of players.

• Star Wars | Clone Wars - Pandemic - I went into this with very low expectations. It's actually the best Pandemic game aside from the legacy games. They changed enough so that it doesn't feel like playing a game of Pandemic, but you can see the core Pandemic system in several systems. Variable bosses and player powers gives it a lot of replay. I can also see them adding expansions with enough interest.

• Akropolis - This is a colorful tile laying game where you are building out a city. You lose the theme quickly as it is mainly about drafting the right tiles to combo the most points in your little city layout. This was a surprise hit in our group where everyone enjoyed it.

• FlameCraft - I remember this being absolutely adorable on Kickstarter, and i didn't back it because I didn't know if it was all Art and no game. Well the game is absolutely amazing and so it the art. The retail version is just as nice as the deluxe, and I would have no FOMO with buying the base game. It looks like a complex worker placement game, but's got some very simple rules. There is no take-that mechanisms, and you are rewarded for sharing resources. The other thing I like is that it starts off very simple, and the complexity builds over the course of the game so it doesnt seem overwelming. This is 9/10 if not 10/10.

thumbnail_IMG_5377.jpgthumbnail_IMG_5376.jpg

Last edited:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I've heard good things about Burn Cycle but it isn't for my group.

Akropolis is on my short list. Glad to see your comments. Affirms what i've been suspecting.

Our recent plays:

Tapestry - played 3 games over last 2 weekends. Really dig the game. Ton of replayability with so many civilizations and Tapestry cards.

Hand to Hand Wombat - great for a group of 4-6 for an icebreaker. We won't play it a lot, but it's quirky fun.

Tikal - classic. Super easy to teach, plays 4 in an hour. If you play with people who know it can be super mean. I like it. We've logged plays on this copy since 2003.

Wingspan (w/Asia and Oceania) - really gorgeous game. Players who get the game and can build good engines will kill casual gamers. For a pretty game which uses its theme expertly...it is a gamer's game.

Stella - a faster version of Dixit...which is already fast. it doesn't kill Dixit, but does assault it. I don't know how much we'll play Dixit going forward.

Rolling Realms - super fun take on the roll and write. Thinkier than it looks or feels on first plays.

Mission Red Planet - a go to for us. We like games like Libertalia and Mission Red - non party games that can play 6 quickly, but still have strategy.

Red Rising - another 6p game that plays 6 quickly where every card is good and you never want to get rid of what you have...but the card on the table is better. Plays fast and another that is thinkier than it looks.

No Thanks! - this is actually new for us. Super fun icebreaker game. Can teach it in 3 minutes.

Dominion (lazy susan) - bought one of those Dominion card organizer lazy susan things on Etsy. We have almost every expansion and we play it frequently. It feels like if there is a game to "upgrade" this is it. I was legit surprised at how much it improved the experience. We play 6 at a rectangle table and you always have to ask for help reading a card, or just handing you a silver. Just satisfying to do it yourself. Simple pleasures.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Sometimes I wonder what it's like to have friends that would play board games with me.
Yeah, it isnt easy finding people, but this is a community based around playing games in person. Most groups are overly friendly.

meetup.com is very popular around here for it. Several game groups in rotation looking for people.

The Conventions always have groups looking for players. There are color-coded flags people put on the gaming tables to denote "Looking for Players". I am not an extrovert, and even I have joined random people for games. If you join convention Discord groups you can also arrange for games prior to the event.

I tend to like the heavy dungeon crawlers, but those are the hardest groups to find. Not something you can play at an event or meetup.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Make sure to check out your local areas, too. We actually have a few board game cafes/bars in the Cleveland area.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
A lot (at least within 180 miles of where I live) of places have game nights and make no efforts to advertise them.

If you find a place that has Magic / Pokemon nights they likely have a board game night too. Some colleges have open-to-public board game nights.

There are 3 sports card shops near me that ALL have at least 1 board game night a week, then there are full blown gaming stores that have everything from D & D night, to Yugioh, to Euro games, to Crokinole tourneys, etc. There's less than 150K people in my 100 mile radius and I can find game nights at at least a dozen spots each week. From that we have our own groups and just meet up at my house, but the options are there.

The Magic crowd is a little samey. Not a lot of people you'd invite in your house, prolly. But, go to a game night at local spot for a Euro game night and you will meet some cool folks. Also, so many games hit so many levels and interest of play that you can find "non-gamers" who can really get into some of the lighter stuff.

I actually befriended a marketing dude at my employer, a flaming liberal complete with nose ring and everything! Board games has brought us together!! We bonded over the hidden gem "Happy Pigs".

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It’s easier to find a board game group than an RPG group, especially if you’re looking for in person only play.

I should look up some local board game groups…and see if anyone wants to do roleplaying lol.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Damn that looks like a legit labor of love.

I’m kind of hoping Metal Slug Tactics is a hit and we see some stuff with the IP.

I’ve seen .STL files of the main slug but I’ve never bothered to see if anyone has done sculpts of Fio, Eri, Tarma, etc.

Would be cool to have minis of them, the soldiers, and all the crazy slugs.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Just got my 8yr old hooked on Fireball Island (the original). She is addicted since she won the last game with her last dice roll that overtook me to the boat!

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Wife and I recently bought the Marvel Villainous game and we've tried playing it a couple of times but it doesnt seem very fun, unfortunately. It doesnt feel like youre playing with other people because each individual has their own game to play and requirements to win. You can sort of attack other players but not really, so its kinda dumb.

We also got "Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space." Ridiculously long and goofy name, but its actually pretty fun. Its kinda sorta like a mashup of Battleship and Among Us.

You play as either humans or aliens in a derelict ship with no power. The object for humans is to get to one of 4 escape pods, and the game cards will determine if the escape pod even works. If it DOES, then its used up and no other players can use it. If it DOESNT, that player dies, and the escape pod is destroyed. Evidently the game can support up to 16 players, and only 4 escape pods per game.

The object of the aliens is to track down the humans by trial and error, but also only each player knows if they are human or alien. If they are human and die, they mutate into an alien and keep going.

So its pretty much a 'youre fucked anyway' type of game, but with some beer and buddies its quite a time.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Wife and I recently bought the Marvel Villainous game and we've tried playing it a couple of times but it doesnt seem very fun, unfortunately. It doesnt feel like youre playing with other people because each individual has their own game to play and requirements to win. You can sort of attack other players but not really, so its kinda dumb.

We also got "Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space." Ridiculously long and goofy name, but its actually pretty fun. Its kinda sorta like a mashup of Battleship and Among Us.

You play as either humans or aliens in a derelict ship with no power. The object for humans is to get to one of 4 escape pods, and the game cards will determine if the escape pod even works. If it DOES, then its used up and no other players can use it. If it DOESNT, that player dies, and the escape pod is destroyed. Evidently the game can support up to 16 players, and only 4 escape pods per game.

The object of the aliens is to track down the humans by trial and error, but also only each player knows if they are human or alien. If they are human and die, they mutate into an alien and keep going.

So its pretty much a 'youre fucked anyway' type of game, but with some beer and buddies its quite a time.
Villainous works best when you know the other people's win conditions. You cant make direct attacks, but you can substantially make it harder for them to win. There are also difficulty curves built into some characters where their win conditions are more challenging. The original Disney version is probably best as it had the main design team behind it. the following games just use the same game engine with new people making the content.

Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space is a damn good game. The markers dry out, so I keep a set in a ziploc bag. We've played it with the basic and advanced rules, and it's equally fun at large player counts. Some nail biting moments for sure.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
GenCon 2023 Summary
I wasn't sure I would go this year, but it was good to be back into board games.
It really feels like everything old is new again. Axis and Allies had major releases from Renegade Games. New TCG's are fucking everywhere. Diplomacy had a new release. Battletech is the miniature game with the biggest following. It's like I'm living in the 90's again. Lorcana was the biggest draw with people lining up the day prior and waiting overnight to purchase new product.

Existing Games played
  • Detective - City of Angels
  • Infamy
  • MTG Commander
  • London
  • Terraforming Mars - Ares
  • Phantom Ink
  • Tiny Epic Pirates
  • Gorus Maximus
New Games
  • Freerunners - App assisted co-op RPG. Comedy based. Based off their RPG system for kids. We played with 6 of us for 5 hours. Very well done if you are into silly choose your own adventure stuff.
  • Outrun the Bear - Not really skill based, but supports a lot of playerrs and goofy fun.
  • Star Wars Shatter Point - Miniature skirmish game. Did a demo. Not sure I can handle another miniatures game, but I like the system.
  • and many more I can't remember.
Events
  • Blood Bowl - sealed team. Experience levels varied way too much, but I went home with a new Skaven team.
  • Arkham LCG Blob that Ate Everything MEGA event - Organizer was amazing. not my favorite scenario, but we had fun.
  • Lorcana - This was a ticketed event for an official demo. You received a deck and promo card to go as well. Ran really well. It's 90% Magic the Gathering, so it's really easy to learn. I suspect this will continue to grow from a collectible and playable standpoint.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
A new Star Wars miniatures game? Is Legion dead or is this a smaller scale?

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I haven’t been playing a ton of board games recently, usually a more popular winter activity with the crew.

I’d like to reconfirm that Carcassonne is my all time favorite board game. Even with just the base game and river it’s timeless, but there a slew of quality expansions that also expand the total number of players. Just like a good arcade game it’s simple to pickup and understand but has deep strategy elements, and of course hoser moves to pull on your friends.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Wife, sis in law, bro in law and myself played the Golden Girls version of Clue.

Instead of "Colonel Mustard in the Library with the lead pipe" its more like "Blanche ate the cheesecake in the lanai and left behind Sofia's purse."

It was fun and goofy if you like the GG show, which we do.