Firearm enthusiast thread

Im hoping to build a good enough relationship with the owner of my private range that he will let us bring fun stuff to shoot eventually.

Im thinking of offering to donate a few moveable tactical barricades, so we can get into some more dynamic shooting, moving from cover to cover and shooting at different angles and stances

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Im hoping to build a good enough relationship with the owner of my private range that he will let us bring fun stuff to shoot eventually.

Im thinking of offering to donate a few moveable tactical barricades, so we can get into some more dynamic shooting, moving from cover to cover and shooting at different angles and stances
How often do you get out to practice. For me the determining factor is money

There is an indoor range half an hour from me that allows up to 30-06, lets you shoot steel casing ammo, and has very cool range cops, nice new facility, pretty lax rules etc. Its $24 a month with unlimited shooting on weekdays. For $35 you get unlimited weekends too and a free guest every time. They happen to be in an area with tons of cool food places. Lately I go there twice a week.

Summer is pretty crazy miserable out here so I imagine thats what I’ll be doing through summer. The rest of the year its waiting for the right day to have BIG public or private outdoor range trips.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
There is an indoor range half an hour from me that allows up to 30-06, lets you shoot steel casing ammo, and has very cool range cops, nice new facility, pretty lax rules etc. Its $24 a month with unlimited shooting on weekdays. For $35 you get unlimited weekends too and a free guest every time. They happen to be in an area with tons of cool food places. Lately I go there twice a week.

Summer is pretty crazy miserable out here so I imagine thats what I’ll be doing through summer. The rest of the year its waiting for the right day to have BIG public or private outdoor range trips.
So want do you mainly practice with, 357/10mm aint cheap. I gonna pick up a 22 just to have something I can afford to put 80 rds through per trip.

I think I want to actually hunt with a handgun I don't know any experience hunters.

Part of my thing is I only stock very reasonably priced calibers. The most expensive I have being 30-06.

The only calibers I really chew through fast are 9mm and 762x39. Both are back to super cheap.

10mm is getting cheaper every week. 357 really takes some hunting for a deal. But hey those I mainly shoot in revolvers, which is very slow consumption.

Hunting doesnt appeal to me at all. Im fine target shootin.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Part of my thing is I only stock very reasonably priced calibers. The most expensive I have being 30-06.

The only calibers I really chew through fast are 9mm and 762x39. Both are back to super cheap.

10mm is getting cheaper every week. 357 really takes some hunting for a deal. But hey those I mainly shoot in revolvers, which is very slow consumption.
I don't have anything smaller than a 44 so every trip is like a electric/cable bill payment.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member

Hunting doesnt appeal to me at all. Im fine target shootin.
No hunt'en!
Wut chew be needed all dem guns fer den?

Zambies!!!

Mainman sounds addicted to them big and or specialty calibers. I kind of set out from the beginning to make the foundation of my firearm choices be those with reasonably priced ammo.

Another thing about those smaller common calibers is I like to barter a lot and everyone seems to accept them as cash and offer them in lieu of cash. This weeks bartering saw me get enough ammo for at least 4 range trips that I wasnt expecting, ammo is always welcome.

Shot the HK P30L today, but who cares about that, lets talk about the hi-point again. Another 175 rounds through it today: 1 out of battery, 1 stove pipe, 1 fail to extract. Ran like a frieght train, dirty ammo that would not run in my 610. As fast as my chubby hands could dump mags and reload. With that dumb ass brake making big ass chemical clouds just puffing out of my range lane. The adjustable rear sight drifted loose to about 4 inches to the right, but somehow it just felt right and I left it.

A guy offered to laser engrave the words YEET CANNON down the slide in giant rainbow colored lettering for free. May let him but I think this thing is officially retired, thinking I may pull the striker out of it and put it in one of those old timey velvet, wood, and glass displays and hang it on the wall.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Shot the HK P30L today, but who cares about that, lets talk about the hi-point again. Another 175 rounds through it today: 1 out of battery, 1 stove pipe, 1 fail to extract. Ran like a frieght train, dirty ammo that would not run in my 610. As fast as my chubby hands could dump mags and reload. With that dumb ass brake making big ass chemical clouds just puffing out of my range lane. The adjustable rear sight drifted loose to about 4 inches to the right, but somehow it just felt right and I left it.

A guy offered to laser engrave the words YEET CANNON down the slide in giant rainbow colored lettering for free. May let him but I think this thing is officially retired, thinking I may pull the striker out of it and put it in one of those old timey velvet, wood, and glass displays and hang it on the wall.
How about engraving "Jesus Christ is in Heaven Now"

Don't retire it, sale the yeet cannon to me

No california sales! They are less than $200, have to be plenty out there for the taking. Im sure if you head out into LA and point your 500 mag at a handful of bangers at least one of them will have a yeet cannon for you to take.

Ive just had my fun with it, too many other things I would rather invest my time into practicing with. Now that I know what my 610 likes, I cant see this getting any more hand me down rounds. Its been a fun experiment, it exceeded all my expectations, dem turrible grips and weighty slide dont exactly tempt me to keep going. She will get a place of honor in my home, right next to my gold street fighter coin set and my pair of tickets to neo-geo world.

Giant wick compensator on the P30L makes way more difference than I thought it would. Now this has me curious how mainmans comped 500 feels next to a regular. This hk was already a very soft shooting 9mm, now it feels like im shooting a much smaller caliber. I can put follow up shots on target super fast. This pistol kind of ruins any other 9mm for me (that ive tried) the more I shoot it.

Been playing with some different iron sights on my revolvers. Hiviz sights deffo have me a lot more accurate. I would love to find some really high quality options for my s&w revolvers, I would love to try a wilson combat gold dot, too bad they only make them for autos.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Giant wick compensator on the P30L makes way more difference than I thought it would. Now this has me curious how mainmans comped 500 feels next to a regular. This hk was already a very soft shooting 9mm, now it feels like im shooting a much smaller caliber. I can put follow up shots on target super fast. This pistol kind of ruins any other 9mm for me (that ive tried) the more I shoot it.

Been playing with some different iron sights on my revolvers. Hiviz sights deffo have me a lot more accurate. I would love to find some really high quality options for my s&w revolvers, I would love to try a wilson combat gold dot, too bad they only make them for autos.

I thought you abandoned iron sights.

Shooting a 420 grain bullet through my comp 500 is very tolerable, it feels no more brutal than firing a .44 mag. Now the same loading in a snub nose FING hurts BAD.

Did you reach out to Wilson to see if they do custom work.

Last edited:
Its those stock smith and wesson iron sights that got me appreciating and enjoying iron sights. I definitely shoot better with a bright contrasting iron sight than a red dot. I even put high visibility iron sights with proper rear windage on one of my AK’s.

Im definitely not a fan of them unless they have some very stand out contrast. A lot of people say how much they love the yellow dots on that HK but its not enough contrast for me.

Optics have been the source of much frustration. Learning everything else has been a lot of fun, learning optics/figuring out optics can eat a dick, lots of time and money wasted.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Its those stock smith and wesson iron sights that got me appreciating and enjoying iron sights. I definitely shoot better with a bright contrasting iron sight than a red dot. I even put high visibility iron sights with proper rear windage on one of my AK’s.

Im definitely not a fan of them unless they have some very stand out contrast. A lot of people say how much they love the yellow dots on that HK but its not enough contrast for me.

Optics have been the source of much frustration. Learning everything else has been a lot of fun, learning optics/figuring out optics can eat a dick, lots of time and money wasted.

Well your eye sight is better than mine, I got Bushnell sights on my 460 and 500, Sig Sauer Romeo5 are illegal in California.

I broke down and bought the 357 kit for my Desert Eagle.

Wow had no idea certain optics were illegal out there. Are you sure we are in the same country?

Also what do you mean by 357 kit? 357sig conversion? Which desert eagle?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Why are they illegal?

The only optics I’m aware of that are illegal in CA are legally defined as “Sniper Scopes” (yeah, the legislature is fucking dumb) and those refer to active night vision scopes mounted on firearms. You’ll have to have your NVG gear off your gun.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Wow had no idea certain optics were illegal out there. Are you sure we are in the same country?

Also what do you mean by 357 kit? 357sig conversion? Which desert eagle?

You live in America, I live in a woke liberal hell hole 5 minutes from going full Thunder Dome.

The Mk19 Desert Eagle can be configured to chamber .357/.44/.429/.50AE by swapping out a combination of barrel, bolt and magazine

DE.jpg

Why are they illegal?

The only optics I’m aware of that are illegal in CA are legally defined as “Sniper Scopes” (yeah, the legislature is fucking dumb) and those refer to active night vision scopes mounted on firearms. You’ll have to have your NVG gear off your gun.

The Sig Sauer Romeo5 is illegal in CA due to its Night Vision option. California law says that it is illegal to possess any device or similar, such as night vision or thermal imaging devices intended for use with or adapted for use with a firearm.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You live in America, I live in a woke liberal hell hole 5 minutes from going full Thunder Dome.

The Mk19 Desert Eagle can be configured to chamber .357/.44/.429/.50AE by swapping out a combination of barrel, bolt and magazine

The Sig Sauer Romeo5 is illegal in CA due to its Night Vision option. California law says that it is illegal to possess any device or similar, such as night vision or thermal imaging devices intended for use with or adapted for use with a firearm.

I wasn’t aware optics with Night Vision modes were illegal in CA. I thought the optic itself had to have active night vision.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I wasn’t aware optics with Night Vision modes were illegal in CA. I thought the optic itself had to have active night vision.
No one will ship me the Sig Sauer Romeo5 not even Amazon

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Looking in to this and it seems it’s a SIG issue. SIG’s understanding of CA law RE: night vision optics is wrong and I’m reading they won’t send in a lot of parts to CA, including P320 (not on the roster) parts.

Romeo 5 is for sale to CA on Primary Arms’ website. Buy one from there. Amazon will be abundantly cautious especially if SIG says no sales to CA.

Plenty of places won’t ship to CA. You could Also try Brownells or Midway.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Cabela's/Bass pro sell the Romeo5 on their website.
If you have one in your area you could pop in and check to see if they have one in stock.