NEO-MVH MV1FS Battery Replacement?

Hansuke

n00b
Just came into one of these in a cabinet and it's going to be my first mvs machine. Took a look at the board and the battery is really corroded, green acid on the coin battery, etc. Some of the acid has dripped onto legs of chips, but fortunately, everything seems to still be working.

I was wondering what's the best way to replace this with a coin battery holder and an equivalent rechargeable battery? I don't want to have to cut any traces to disable the charging circuit.

Is there a specific battery holder that's recommended?

Would it be alright to just remove the current battery while waiting for the replacement and will the mvs will still work fine? Well, without settings saving of course.

Also, would using IPA and a toothbrush be sufficient in removing the corrosion from the board and legs of chips?

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Jamma Nation X has the battery replacement guide for the MV1FS in the tutorials section:

Hansuke

n00b
Jamma Nation X has the battery replacement guide for the MV1FS in the tutorials section:

Thanks, but as I was saying in the opening post, I am looking for a coin battery holder that'll take a rechargeable coin battery, similar to the original. The guide you linked is from 2009. I hope there's more modern solutions?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The work is the same, just don’t remove the resistor and use a rechargeable 2032.

Hansuke

n00b
The work is the same, just don’t remove the resistor and use a rechargeable 2032.
Cool! Can you help me with my other questions that I have in the OP?

Also, do you have a product link to a specific battery holder?

Last edited:

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I'm pretty sure the spacing between the + and - through holes for the battery is 20mm, which is the standard distance you will find on most all 2032 holders.

Hansuke

n00b
I'm pretty sure the spacing between the + and - through holes for the battery is 20mm, which is the standard distance you will find on most all 2032 holders.
I have some experience replacing the battery in Dreamcasts and those have a 3 pin layout for the 2032 battery holder.

Would a regular 2 pin 2032 holder work for the MV1FZS and still enable the charging properly?

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Cool! Can you help me with my other questions that I have in the OP?

Also, do you have a product link to a specific battery holder?
I don't have any recommendations for a specific holder, haven't ordered one in ages. Sorry.

The system will play just fine with the battery removed, just no saving settings and such.

IPA will work if the corrosion is very minor, but my go to is Deoxit. I love that stuff. Deoxit leaves a bit of a mess though so I usually clean up the Deoxit with regular contact cleaner (I buy electrical connector cleaner from the local auto parts store) or IPA. Deoxit won't harm anything if left on, but it's a bit greasy and will likely attract dust.

Hansuke

n00b
I don't have any recommendations for a specific holder, haven't ordered one in ages. Sorry.

The system will play just fine with the battery removed, just no saving settings and such.

IPA will work if the corrosion is very minor, but my go to is Deoxit. I love that stuff. Deoxit leaves a bit of a mess though so I usually clean up the Deoxit with regular contact cleaner (I buy electrical connector cleaner from the local auto parts store) or IPA. Deoxit won't harm anything if left on, but it's a bit greasy and will likely attract dust.
Thanks for the tips about using Deoxit!

Hansuke

n00b

I just got some of these in the other day, they fit perfectly in a MV2F. I don’t know if the 1 slots are the same.
Thanks for coming back with the recommendation holder! Looked up the MV2F and the battery area looks slightly different from an MV1FZS.

The MV2F has circular holes for the battery leads whereas the MV1FZS has wider rectangular slits, functionally, I don't think it makes a difference.

I went ahead and got these battery holders instead. It's more expensive per unit, but I like how it encases the battery just in case any acid leaks do happen. I'm happy to report they fit perfectly in the battery spot on the MV1FZS.

If anyone is reading this in the future for reference, make sure you orient the battery holder's + and - leads correctly. + lead is usually the edge or top latch and the - lead is usually the longer spring like thing that puts pressure on the bottom (- side) of the coin battery.

I'm also using a ML2032 as the replacement battery because it's rechargeable and I don't have to do any extra modifications (cutting resistors) to the MV1FZS.

Last edited:

kissedin

n00b
MV1FS has a NiMH-battery and a charging circuit for these types of batteries. What I have understood is that you must not fit (or charge) a lithium battery as ML2032 in it's place.

(MV1FZS on the other hand is fitted with a lithium battery from factory and can be replaced with a ML2032.)

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I am in the process myself of replacing batteries on my boards and is just passing on information that I have found.