Watches

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Very true on the Ventura, again the history on that to me adds to the mystique.

To me with Hamilton it’s either a lot of Khaki or a lot of dressier black leather band type watches, there’s not a lot of in between, maybe the Khaki King or the Murph Interstellar watch, but there aren’t too many chronos or turtle style dive watches which seem to be what I personally prefer generally sub $1200.

I do like that open heart look though.

yeah, I don't think I'd consider a bracelet version of any of their stuff. I like the heritage for sure. They're an interesting company even if they are not American anymore.

I would love to have the Elvis as an every once and a while watch.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Does anyone have/like sun/moon phase watches? Usually they’re more dressy, I don’t really have too many opportunities to wear one in todays business casual environment (at least at my work usually) I have a Seiko tank and a rose gold Seiko that are more dressy I can wear with a suit, but this did catch my eye, I’m starting to appreciate textured dial watches faces.

761AABB9-EB63-4560-BD96-B2537443AFC2.png

I know their Bambino is a pretty popular dress option.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
They usually look so old-timey. I wish there was one for the moon that's just a circle, and the plate behind it revolves to show the phase.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I'm liking this Baltic Bronze watch:

I would probably put a NATO strap on it though.
There’s a Hamilton bronze watch I’ve seen videos on YouTube people going through the process of putting a patina on the watch

fake

15 Year Member
That's super unnatural patina. I'll post a photo of my bronze Oris that has a few months of patina on it.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
That's super unnatural patina. I'll post a photo of my bronze Oris that has a few months of patina on it.
It’s crazy I watched this again he put it in a bag with hard boiled eggs believe it or not.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
There’s a Hamilton bronze watch I’ve seen videos on YouTube people going through the process of putting a patina on the watch

I want to try a microbrand and I really liked the design of the Baltic dial. I have no plans to artificially patina it. I didn’t consider the Hamilton because I already own a jazzmaster.

Did you get the cotton candy or the diver 65? I think the bronze diver 65 is really cool. I’m trying to get the Tudor of my dreams so I didn’t want to go crazy on a bronze watch.

fake

15 Year Member
Did you get the cotton candy or the diver 65? I think the bronze diver 65 is really cool. I’m trying to get the Tudor of my dreams so I didn’t want to go crazy on a bronze watch.
I got the Big Crown Pointer Date 80th annv. I bought it in-store, and it had some patina from being handled, so I Q-tip'd it with some salt & vinegar so I could start from scratch. This is two months of patina, but I do have pretty corrosive sweat / oils – it would prob take 6 months for this to happen on a normal person. (I've corroded the absolute shit out of the bridge of my guitar – it's so bad that it needs to be replated.) You can look up photos of what this looks like brand new – it's pretty perfectly uniform brushed bronze.
Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 7.17.27 PM.png
The bezel is relatively unscathed. The lugs have definitely darkened, though. You can't see it in the photo but there's a lot of discoloration on the case at noon and 6 where I grab it when adjusting it on my wrist.

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 7.17.40 PM.png
The darkening isn't a shadow – that's the heavier patina. It's where my finger rubs against the case when winding the crown.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I got the Big Crown Pointer Date 80th annv. I bought it in-store, and it had some patina from being handled, so I Q-tip'd it with some salt & vinegar so I could start from scratch. This is two months of patina, but I do have pretty corrosive sweat / oils – it would prob take 6 months for this to happen on a normal person. (I've corroded the absolute shit out of the bridge of my guitar – it's so bad that it needs to be replated.) You can look up photos of what this looks like brand new – it's pretty perfectly uniform brushed bronze.
View attachment 60780
The bezel is relatively unscathed. The lugs have definitely darkened, though. You can't see it in the photo but there's a lot of discoloration on the case at noon and 6 where I grab it when adjusting it on my wrist.

View attachment 60781
The darkening isn't a shadow – that's the heavier patina. It's where my finger rubs against the case when winding the crown.
Man…I can only think of what the pussies look like after you finger them…oh wait…you’re on N-G.com…nevermind

fake

15 Year Member
Man…I can only think of what the pussies look like after you finger them…oh wait…you’re on N-G.com…nevermind
Tried it last night. No adverse reaction. Must have similar ph level.

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
The whole brand has grown on me. They look amazing in person. I'm over the snowflake hand now but I still feel Tudor will never get out of the shadow of big daddy Rolex but that's fine by me. When you actually put one on all that disappears and a watch should be something YOU like not something to impress other people. If I felt like at any point I was trying to buy these watches because a Rolex is too expensive I'd turn back. Nothing to do with that. They look nice and have a charm all their own.
I always got the impression that (at least from my experience) Tudor fans were like "We are the underdog! We're so much cooler and independent!" compared to Rolex.

I mean you walk around with a Rolex in some parts of the world, people will think your either organized crime or a pimp. ofc it heavily depends on what model you are wearing.

once met a guy who a 44cm Omega on this twig-like wrist. it looked ridiculous...

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I always got the impression that (at least from my experience) Tudor fans were like "We are the underdog! We're so much cooler and independent!" compared to Rolex.

Yeah, I get that impression from Tudor fans too, but I don't get it. I mean, very few people are aware of these brands but almost everyone knows Rolex. You are buying the name just as much as the quality when throw down on an Oyster Perpetual. There is no "underdog" to Rolex. Most people don't know, don't care and besides, can you really be an underdog to a brand that the parent company is obviously sabotaging? That's like saying a Honda is an underdog to Acura or Toyota to Lexus, etc.

All that being said, I still want a BB58. I like the design and feel of it vs. other watches in the same price range.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Most people I see with Rolex's are wearing reps, and I think that is the first assumption with many Rolex's depending on the person. They would never assume a Tudor is a rep, and for that reason they have a good userbase.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Most people I see with Rolex's are wearing reps, and I think that is the first assumption with many Rolex's depending on the person. They would never assume a Tudor is a rep, and for that reason they have a good userbase.

Dang.

I dunno, I think most of the Rollies I see are real. I've struck a convo with some of these dudes and they basically say they sucked the sales rep's dick to pay them $13k for their watch.

Maybe not anymore. Last time I went to the AD they were trying to get me to sign up on the waitlist for an Oyster Perpetual and more or less promised they'd have it to me in a few months. I think the great "shortage" of 2020 might be behind us ... might not apply to the Submariner though.

fake

15 Year Member
I tried on Black Bay 58s and a Pelagos today. The 58 is surprisingly small but fits my wrist perfectly. Maybe next year since I already got the Oris this year.

I also tried on some Cartier tanks. I love the design but it just doesn’t suit me. I’d rather get the GS snowflake for if I ever had to dress up on a regular basis. Which will never happen.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I dunno why, but, strangers often comment and compliment me on my cheap $10 Walmart watch, thinking it's something special when it isn't (job well done, Walmart?) The other night, a woman even asked me if it was made out of wood, a material I'd never heard of being used for a watch, and I told her so, which launched her into a lecture on the subject, the different kinds and price range, and how she'd chosen one as a Christmas gift for her boss. No, I didn't notice if she was hot or ask her out, I was too busy contemplating weighty matters like whether or not a wooden watch could be infested with termites.

TLDR version: Random woman accuses M of strapping wood to his arm.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I tried on Black Bay 58s and a Pelagos today. The 58 is surprisingly small but fits my wrist perfectly.

I'm usually into 40-41 sized watches, but something about the 58 just fits perfectly. I tried the regular black and gold Black Bay and preferred how the 58 sat on my wrist.

I have the money. I can buy one today (it's in stock at least once or twice a month at my local AD) but I have a wedding looming over me and probably a house purchase. Adulting can suck my ass. Maybe in 2024 when I get my bonus.

fake

15 Year Member
What if you do a honeymoon fund for your wedding rather than traditional gifts? Then you could use some of that to get the 58?

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Dang.

I dunno, I think most of the Rollies I see are real. I've struck a convo with some of these dudes and they basically say they sucked the sales rep's dick to pay them $13k for their watch.

Maybe not anymore. Last time I went to the AD they were trying to get me to sign up on the waitlist for an Oyster Perpetual and more or less promised they'd have it to me in a few months. I think the great "shortage" of 2020 might be behind us ... might not apply to the Submariner though.
Price dropping across the board . The local Rolex AD are dicks they try to make you buy other brand they have or model first Then get you the model you want , basically you have to buy 2 watches before getting the one you wanted . they used this tactic because they are the only local AD in town and the closest on is 300km away. I drove 300km just to not give em my business.

fake

15 Year Member
Price dropping across the board . The local Rolex AD are dicks they try to make you buy other brand they have or model first Then get you the model you want , basically you have to buy 2 watches before getting the one you wanted . they used this tactic because they are the only local AD in town and the closest on is 300km away. I drove 300km just to not give em my business.
If I ever do get an OP or Date, I think I'll just settle on getting one from my birthyear, rather than trying to find a new one from an OD.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Would skip buying new, you get better deals buying a used one locally just make sure you take it to a Ad to check out everything in good order , especially with the recession coming up a lot of deals going to show up .

fake

15 Year Member
Would skip buying new, you get better deals buying a used one locally just make sure you take it to a Ad to check out everything in good order , especially with the recession coming up a lot of deals going to show up .
What I'd be nervous about at this moment is if Rolex is going to stop providing watchmakers / repair shops with replacement parts, now that they're trying to get a piece of the greymarket action. :eyeroll: