Neo Geo Tate

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Ok, I know the Neo Geo never offered a tate video output - but why, and what if it had?

Given the versatility of the MVS carts system I'm actually surprised SNK didn't put a rotating monitor into their candy cabs like Taito did with the Egret 2.

Would we have seen more 3rd party games if we'd have had tate for Neo Geo? Maybe Toaplan or Cave may have been tempted to use the hardware as neither were majorly fond of horis.

It always makes me laugh when I read shit about the Neo Geo being a great system for shmups... because it really wasn't. Yes, there are some great titles like Blazing Star, Pulstar and Last Resort... but that's three games out of a library of 130+ titles.

Perhaps it could have been a truly great system for shmups (as well as fighters) if it had had a tate ability.

PS. Fuck verti-zontal.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Doesn't it have something to do with how it draws sprites in vertical (from horizontal perspective) strips? Dunno I'm taking a pot shot here.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Great question. Considering the prevalence of single slot MVS, even if SNK didn't offer rotatable cabinets operators would have had no problem running tate games on their existing universal jamma cabs.

The IGS PGM offered at least one tate option, from no less than Cave themselves. That was more powerful hardware however...

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Great question. Considering the prevalence of single slot MVS, even if SNK didn't offer rotatable cabinets operators would have had no problem running tate games on their existing universal jamma cabs.

The IGS PGM offered at least one tate option, from no less than Cave themselves. That was more powerful hardware however...

Good points!

And of course tate was nothing new by the time the PGM rolled around... tate arcade games predate Neo Geo, so why did SNK ignore this mode, especially when the system was touted as a one-size fits all answer for arcade operators??

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Good points!

And of course tate was nothing new by the time the PGM rolled around... tate arcade games predate Neo Geo, so why did SNK ignore this mode, especially when the system was touted as a one-size fits all answer for arcade operators??

This^ …and…
not for nothing, one of SNK’s biggest properties just prior and into the Neo•Geo era was a series of tate games. Ikari Warriors!

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
Stuff like Neo XYX shows that there was no technical issue with the neogeo having a tate shmup. Agree with all the other points made about how it would have been clunky to have such games mixed in with other non-tate MVS titles on a multi-slot board. Use of the tate aspect ratio for games, other than shmups, seemed on its way out in the early 90s too, I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The Japanese were tatin' their Saturns back in the mid 90s :vik:

The gamer hardcore enough to have a Neo and be tating would just be using MVS in the first place and have a tate ready RGB display.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
This^ …and…
not for nothing, one of SNK’s biggest properties just prior and into the Neo•Geo era was a series of tate games. Ikari Warriors!

lol, yes, I totally forgot about the Ikari series - plus Guerilla War!!

Yeah, it would have been awkward on a multi-slot, but there was the single-slot, and once there were a few tate games multi-slots could have then been implemented.

Let's not forget Irritating Maze - you couldn't put that in a multi-slot!

Homecarts... there were plenty of games never had a home release - including Shock Troopers, Prehistoric Isle 2, Money Puzzle Exchanger, Zupapa!, Neo Driftout... to name a few... plus Strikers 1945 - which was butchered into a verti-zontal.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Doesn't it have something to do with how it draws sprites in vertical (from horizontal perspective) strips? Dunno I'm taking a pot shot here.
No, all hardware worked that way. They had to because that's how all CRTs refreshed the screen.

There's really no reason a developer couldn't have made a tate game to run in 1-slot jamma setups. Perhaps SNK wouldn't have allowed it.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
lol, yes, I totally forgot about the Ikari series - plus Guerilla War!!

Yeah, it would have been awkward on a multi-slot, but there was the single-slot, and once there were a few tate games multi-slots could have then been implemented.

Let's not forget Irritating Maze - you couldn't put that in a multi-slot!

Homecarts... there were plenty of games never had a home release - including Shock Troopers, Prehistoric Isle 2, Money Puzzle Exchanger, Zupapa!, Neo Driftout... to name a few... plus Strikers 1945 - which was butchered into a verti-zontal.

If you were a producer on a video game and it was your job to have that game make money, would you risk your career on a tate game?

Most home carts didn’t make much money, but what if you created the greatest Neo shooter ever, as popular as Fatal Fury Special, and when people started asking about a home version you have to say there can never be one unless they wait for the PlayStation port you haven’t paid anyone to make yet?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
No, all hardware worked that way. They had to because that's how all CRTs refreshed the screen.

There's really no reason a developer couldn't have made a tate game to run in 1-slot jamma setups. Perhaps SNK wouldn't have allowed it.

I would bet money they wouldn’t allow it. It’s a feature SNK didn’t support, therefore it would not be allowed. That’s the Japanese corporate line on basically everything.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
Sounds more than reasonable to me. Look at the Aerofighters series, the earlier and later entries that weren't on neogeo hardware were tate games. Why wouldn't they do the neogeo ones in tate style?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
If you were a producer on a video game and it was your job to have that game make money, would you risk your career on a tate game?

Most home carts didn’t make much money, but what if you created the greatest Neo shooter ever, as popular as Fatal Fury Special, and when people started asking about a home version you have to say there can never be one unless they wait for the PlayStation port you haven’t paid anyone to make yet?
Three words: Bust-a-Move

Where was the homecart for that?

Besides, if it made a ton of money in the arcade I doubt either SNK or the developer would care all that much about a home release. There was no golden rule that every MVS game would be ported to the home console (AES / CD).
Also, ports for 32 bits consoles, like DoDonPachi, offered tate, but you didn't have to play it in tate. There's no reason why these verti-zontal approaches couldn't have been taken for home console, especially on NGCD.

I'm sorry, but I find your argument weak as vicar's piss.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The Ray games on Saturn have tate mode, even a warning about the potential ‘rainbow effect’ after leaning your tv, and advice on how to degauss w/out a wand.

A few lines of code, for the screen flip.

SNK missed a big opportunity here.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
The Ray games on Saturn have tate mode, even a warning about the potential ‘rainbow effect’ after leaning your tv, and advice on how to degauss w/out a wand.

Ngdev team put in a screen flip option for the dreamcast port of neoxyx, but said they couldn't have that feature on the neo geo version - that it would require a complete rewrite of the game to display it 90 degrees differently (and I guess scaled down graphics too so that it will fit within the height of the 4x3 screen).

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member

A few lines of code? ....what? On a newer console, sure, but on the Neo you'd be rewriting the whole game.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Confused as to why people think the hardware couldn't run in Tate

You're just rotating the controls and you can draw anything you want on the screen. Can you rotate fix rom fonts for score and such? Probably, never seen vertical text on neo tbh but just do it another way I suppose.

I have some neo homebrew of a pretty accomplished shooter that you can rotate the screen with the d button before starting a credit. Just flips it in real time