New Star Wars stuff announced

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The "dramatic" dialogue snippets in that trailer are just atrocious.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Today Disney announced that Lee Jung-Jae of Squid Game fame had been cast as the male lead in their upcoming live action Star Wars series The Acolyte (the one set 100 years before Phantom Menace).

A couple hours later Twitter found out that the guy severely beat a 22 year old woman, assaulted a guy in a bar, and gave an interview where he expressed sorrow that he wasn't able to convince his recently deceased friend to "stop being gay" before he died. Also he had two DUIs, but that was a long time before any of the other stuff.

You'd think the Gina Carano shit (or watching the WB/Ezra Miller shit from the sidelines) would make them, I dunno, Google someone before casting them as a lead in a Star Wars show.

famicommander

15 Year Member

They delayed season 2 of The Bad Batch to January 2023. It was supposed to debut on September 18.

So in 2023 we should be getting:
Mandalorian season 3
Ahsoka season 1
The Bad Batch season 2
Skeleton Crew season 1 (live action, set in the same era as Mando/Ahsoka)
Visions season 2 (anime anthology)
Young Jedi Adventures season 1 (young kids show)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
There were a couple shorts in the first Visions anthology that were really good.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I'm bummed they pushed Bad Batch season 2 into next year. I was much more excited about that than Andor.

I just hope Andor doesn't suck as hard as Obi-Wan and Boba Fett.

Tales of the Jedi looks awesome but it's only going to be 6 episodes. Half Dooku, half Ahsoka.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
So in 2023 we should be getting:
Mandalorian season 3

K.

Today Disney announced that Lee Jung-Jae of Squid Game fame had been cast as the male lead in their upcoming live action Star Wars series The Acolyte (the one set 100 years before Phantom Menace).

A couple hours later Twitter found out that the guy severely beat a 22 year old woman, assaulted a guy in a bar, and gave an interview where he expressed sorrow that he wasn't able to convince his recently deceased friend to "stop being gay" before he died. Also he had two DUIs, but that was a long time before any of the other stuff.

You'd think the Gina Carano shit (or watching the WB/Ezra Miller shit from the sidelines) would make them, I dunno, Google someone before casting them as a lead in a Star Wars show.

So no one gave a shit about these transgressions before he was cast in Stars Wars? Ok.

Fuck twitter.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Ahsoka will be a better show than Mandalorian. No doubt in my mind.

famicommander

15 Year Member
3 episode Andor premiere on September 21

Place your bets, how many low speed chases will be in those first 3 episodes?
over/under 1.5

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
K.

So no one gave a shit about these transgressions before he was cast in Stars Wars? Ok.

Fuck twitter.

Twitter is a greater hive of scum and villainy than Mos Eisley under Jabba the Hutt could ever aspire to be.

famicommander

15 Year Member
d38CnH6.png

First image of Jude Law in Skeleton Crew.

Looks like they're at Jabba's palace on fuckin' Tatooine again. Gotta squeeze every cent out of those Tatooine sets.

famicommander

15 Year Member
No low speed chases in the Andor premiere.

Seems pretty decent so far. Definitely more expensive looking than Obi-Wan.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Andor barely seems like Star Wars so far, and I'm not saying that because there is no Jedi or Force stuff. There are a lot of scenes where it feels more like Blade Runner 2049.

The timeline jumping is getting exhausting. I could handle it in Legends because it was fairly large gaps in the timeline. Disney bounces around the same few decades.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Star Wars: The Acolyte will be the first show to explore an unfamiliar part of the timeline. It's set 100 years before the start of Phantom Menace, so the only major character that was even alive at the time is Yoda.

The upcoming Tales of the Jedi will show us one or two episodes from before Phantom Menace but it's a short anthology that jumps around the timeline following Dooku and Ahsoka.

Everything else is set in between the movies:
dje88chdvspvbk7q47u0yv5abgc17nq.png

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The first two episodes of Andor were very slow, but the third was better. I like the character (and the actor, Diego Luna is cool) so I'll keep watching. I kinda like that it's not about the force, or Jedi, etc. Rogue One only referenced the force with Donnie Yen's character and it is by all accounts the best non-original trilogy Star Wars film.

I like that this will 'continue' the Andor character, even though its a prequel series to Rogue One.

The time jumps are.. ok, I figured they were just trying to parallel what happened to him on Kenari and what's happening to him now. I just want more scenes with him and Stellan Skarsgaard.

Stellan rules.

famicommander

15 Year Member
All the force/Jedi shit in this era is happening on Rebels. From that show we pretty much know exactly where every relevant force user of the era is during the events we see in Andor.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Star Wars: The Acolyte will be the first show to explore an unfamiliar part of the timeline. It's set 100 years before the start of Phantom Menace, so the only major character that was even alive at the time is Yoda.

The upcoming Tales of the Jedi will show us one or two episodes from before Phantom Menace but it's a short anthology that jumps around the timeline following Dooku and Ahsoka.

Everything else is set in between the movies:
dje88chdvspvbk7q47u0yv5abgc17nq.png

Wasn’t Chewbacca alive or did they change the canon? I thought in ANH he was like 232 years old.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Wasn’t Chewbacca alive or did they change the canon? I thought in ANH he was like 232 years old.
You're right, Chewbacca would indeed be alive. He's 200 when Luke blows up the Death Star, so he's 168 during Phantom Menace. So he's 68 years old, the wookiee equivalent of a teenager, during The Acolyte.

But this would still be well before even the older human Jedi like Dooku, Windu, or Qui-Gon Jinn were born.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Hey, Chewbacca is a boss. That’s all I have to say about that.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Hey, Chewbacca is a boss. That’s all I have to say about that.
I'm glad he made it out of the sequel trilogy alive. As much as those movies suck I actually do like some of the characters and wouldn't mind seeing Chewbacca pop up in future media alongside Rey or Poe doing something completely unrelated to those shit films.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You know, I would be cautiously optimistic about a series set post Rise of Skywalker.

Let some authors establish a new extended universe post RoS. Heck I wouldn’t mind some books, even if they weren’t canon.

famicommander

15 Year Member
You know, I would be cautiously optimistic about a series set post Rise of Skywalker.

Let some authors establish a new extended universe post RoS. Heck I wouldn’t mind some books, even if they weren’t canon.
As long as the threat has absolutely nothing to do with the history of the Skywalker/Palpatine bloodline.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
That's how I'd write it because constantly having the story revolve around specific characters is dumb.

Star Trek, while a lot of it is dog shit, at least has had different shows exploring different aspects of the same universe, albeit from the same/similar perspective.

Man, RoS is so fucking bad, lol. Actually the whole sequel trilogy is just so fucking bad.

famicommander

15 Year Member
That's how I'd write it because constantly having the story revolve around specific characters is dumb.

Star Trek, while a lot of it is dog shit, at least has had different shows exploring different aspects of the same universe, albeit from the same/similar perspective.

Man, RoS is so fucking bad, lol. Actually the whole sequel trilogy is just so fucking bad.
Obi-Wan and Boba Fett were bad missteps too.

Star Wars TV had a pretty spotless record from the 2000s onward until they had to come shit it up:
Clone Wars (Tartakovsky's 2D micro-series) - not canon, but really awesome
The Clone Wars (canon series) - starts slow and annoyingly aired out of order, but by the end it's as good as anything in the franchise
Rebels - really captures the adventure feeling of the first film, features some of the most fleshed out characters
Resistance - just a basic kids show, not necessary but well liked by its intended audience
The Mandalorian - awesome

They shouldn't have done the Boba Fett show at all since it's clear they didn't really have a good idea or a story to tell. Plain as day that they had some expensive sets sitting around and an actor they knew they were gonna use on Mando and Ahsoka anyway, so they just decided to slap some bullshit together. Boba Fett as a crimelord who doesn't commit crimes but does lead a cyberpunk teenage scooter gang? What the fuck?

The Obi-Wan series wasn't a bad idea per se but the execution was shit. Few cool scenes but the writing is just absurdly bad even by Star Wars standards, and that's a low bar.