TMNT Cowabunga Collection

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I always chuckle when people say that. The dam is pretty easy, even if you do badly just switch turtles, you immediately get easy pizza to refill everyone in the next stage.

The dam is nothing compared to the horrors later in the game.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
A helpful tip for the original NES TMNT is to switch to a different turtle if you pick up a special weapon that you like. Particularly the powerful scroll weapon which makes the final technodrome level much easier to get through. The thing is that when you're slicing your way through a slog of enemies, they often drop more special weapons, and it's nearly impossible not to accidentally pick the icon up. And the new one will replace the one you already have, you can't carry two. Having multiple turtles with the scroll in the technodrome will make it infinitely easier to get through.

Although the final Shredder battle just requires learning his simple pattern. Basically jumping up on a platform and firing any projectile (even simple stars are effective) when you get an opening. The first time I beat it, I was surprised by how simple Shredder was. I spent forever figuring out the airfield and technodrome maze levels, thinking this game was impossible, and then after all that, Shredder is so simple.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
A helpful tip for the original NES TMNT is to switch to a different turtle if you pick up a special weapon that you like. Particularly the powerful scroll weapon which makes the final technodrome level much easier to get through. The thing is that when you're slicing your way through a slog of enemies, they often drop more special weapons, and it's nearly impossible not to accidentally pick the icon up. And the new one will replace the one you already have, you can't carry two. Having multiple turtles with the scroll in the technodrome will make it infinitely easier to get through.

Although the final Shredder battle just requires learning his simple pattern. Basically jumping up on a platform and firing any projectile (even simple stars are effective) when you get an opening. The first time I beat it, I was surprised by how simple Shredder was. I spent forever figuring out the airfield and technodrome maze levels, thinking this game was impossible, and then after all that, Shredder is so simple.

Good tips. My method to beat Shredder was stupid easy. He comes out on the upper platform and I just smack him with Don a few times. When he moves I jump up to the platform and just poke him with the bo every time he tries to move up. Easy victory. Of course, this wouldn't work with any other turtle.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Been playing it on the ps4 and it's not bad so far it's just a shame,four players for tmnt arcade and turtles in time is useless for online.Anymore then 4ps and the game will lag if it's just two players then it's fine.Also am i missing some thing here eu put up his review and he says this collection is a ripoff due to the input lag !? I guess if you're about 1cc the game this will anger you but if it's just casual play it's fine.

Electric Underground is a hardcore shmup dude that runs a shmup channel for shmup people - people who are incredibly sensitive to input lag.

I get it, though. I won't play emulated shmups for that very reason and I begrudgingly play some fighting games on those Capcom collections on PS4/5 because some friends don't have better options.

I agree with you, though. For the casual player and TMNT fan, 4-6 frames of input lag will be barely if at all noticeable and the online play is a very compelling reason to put up with what little is there even if you notice it.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Electric Underground is a hardcore shmup dude that runs a shmup channel for shmup people - people who are incredibly sensitive to input lag.

I get it, though. I won't play emulated shmups for that very reason and I begrudgingly play some fighting games on those Capcom collections on PS4/5 because some friends don't have better options.

I agree with you, though. For the casual player and TMNT fan, 4-6 frames of input lag will be barely if at all noticeable and the online play is a very compelling reason to put up with what little is there even if you notice it.
Yeah for eu channel i've notice that it's for the diehard fans of shmups and if you're trying to 1cc them a input delay can get in the way.For beat'em ups i'm not to picky when input delay comes into play.While i have copies of nes,tmnt 2&3 and snes,turtles in time and hyperstone heist.I simply bought the tmnt cowabunga collection for the convenience.I don't have to mess with having the right console out to play it.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Finally picked this up... wish I hadn't bothered. WTF is going on with the sound???

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
It's got a bunch of games included in a single package. The emu is far from perfect, but it's cheap and convenient, which is the selling point on these types of comps. I like it for the switch as I can take it with me for quick pick up and play session when I've got a little time to kill. But if I want to play a serious session of one of these games, I'll just fire up the original carts on the nes/snes/genesis. It's a nice package for the cheap price.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
People only care about lag, few people noticed the sound on the arcade games is fucked up.
I only really picked it up for the arcade games. Sound on the old XBLA port was spot on... why is it fucked up here? Really shouldn't be. :annoyed:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I only really picked it up for the arcade games. Sound on the old XBLA port was spot on... why is it fucked up here? Really shouldn't be. :annoyed:
Lazy ports! There's a reason I've only played the NES games for any length of time. I'm hoping they fix it but if the youtubers aren't crying about it Digital Eclipse might not even know or care.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Lazy ports! There's a reason I've only played the NES games for any length of time. I'm hoping they fix it but if the youtubers aren't crying about it Digital Eclipse might not even know or care.
So sad, and annoying, that developers still think they can get away with this shit.

Listening to that garbled mess of a theme tune at the start of TMNT: AG is just awful... sullies fond memories of me playing the coin-op back in the day.

The other annoying thing is Digital Eclipse were partly responsible for the 360 port... shame Backbone Entertainment aren't still around.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I kinda give them a pass on that theme song, apparently they don't have the rights to the original cartoon theme. It's kinda awful though, I would have preferred maybe just an instrumental arrangement or something.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
So sad, and annoying, that developers still think they can get away with this shit.

They can because we keep buying their rompacks. I'm as guilty as anyone else here, and i acknowledge that continuing to buy their products validates the effort they put into it.

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I kinda give them a pass on that theme song, apparently they don't have the rights to the original cartoon theme. It's kinda awful though, I would have preferred maybe just an instrumental arrangement or something.
Bizarre. Why would the theme rights come separate I wonder? You'd think they'd be part and parcel of the overall cartoon licence. But yeah, intrumental, or a properly recorded intro with a different singer. What's there now sounds like two people recording on an iPhone in a toilet somewhere.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
They can because we keep buying their rompacks. I'm as guilty as anyone else here, and i acknowledge that continuing to buy their products validates the effort they put into it.

The SNK 40th collection was a complete mess. Digital Eclipse tends to hype every release up like it's going to be the greatest thing ever, only to always manage to shit the bed somehow. I think they get by on being the only prominent Western developer of these collections. People give them a pass because they're packaged with a shiny frontend with lots of bonus material.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I just noticed today you can unlock every achievement/trophy in this game in about 3 minutes just by watching those speedrun videos they show on the main menu.