Embracer Group buys entire IP rights to Tolkien's works

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The problem isn't so much that they'd like to do it. That's natural. They see money and that's the entire reason to be in business in the first place. No, the real problem is that people like you, who understand what a cynical cash grab and how wrong it is, how much it's against the wishes of Tolkien it is, will watch them anyway.
I'll see it when it hits a streaming service I'm already paying for maybe, but I ain't paying money to see any of these just like I haven't paid money to see a Marvel or Star Wars movie in years. I think the last one I actually saw in a theater was Force Awakens and I learned my lesson.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'll see it when it hits a streaming service I'm already paying for maybe, but I ain't paying money to see any of these just like I haven't paid money to see a Marvel or Star Wars movie in years. I think the last one I actually saw in a theater was Force Awakens and I learned my lesson.
You're paying to see Marvel and Star Wars movies if you're subscribed to disney+.

famicommander

15 Year Member
You're paying to see Marvel and Star Wars movies if you're subscribed to disney+.
I'm subscribed to Disney+ anyway because it's cheaper to have it than it is to have Hulu and ESPN+ separately, and I actually do use the latter two regularly. I have the option of either paying more to watch the same Hulu and ESPN shit or paying less to watch it and then occasionally whining about a Star Wars episode.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
This group also acquired Tatsujin and the rights to the Toaplan catalog.

famicommander

15 Year Member
This group also acquired Tatsujin and the rights to the Toaplan catalog.
They also bought Limited Run Games and the guys who developed the Killing Floor games among others yesterday.

Dunno where all the money is coming from. They got a 1 billion dollar investment from the Saudi prince but that's only about 8% of the company at this point.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Wild... Feels a little sketchy, honestly.

Another studio they bought is apparently going to release the Toaplan shooting games on PC. They're promising a lot with them.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Wild... Feels a little sketchy, honestly.

Another studio they bought is apparently going to release the Toaplan shooting games on PC. They're promising a lot with them.
I was definitely surprised they got the Tolkien rights. You just know WB and Amazon were in on that bidding war and somehow neither won.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I’ve never read anything by Tolkien and have never seen a Lord of theRings movie - but if they’re anything like Avatar then I’m all in!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Jesus, I think we watched the Rankin Bass Hobbit move in school at least once a year from K-7

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Watch this from the Rankin Bass Return of the King movie.

Jesus, I think we watched the Rankin Bass Hobbit move in school at least once a year from K-7

How could this be shown in school???!!! My goodness!!! Only movie I remember watching in a school was Short Circuit 2.

(Well actually not “in” school...it was a field trip to a movie theatre....)

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
How could this be shown in school???!!! My goodness!!! Only movie I remember watching in a school was Short Circuit 2.

This was on TV somewhere in America about once a week in the 80s.

Total masterpiece. Tsuguyuki Kubo is a massively underrated master of animation direction and design.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I still have never seen the Rankin Bass "Return of the King" (IE where there's a whip). I only recently saw the Bashki LOTR movie.

Rankin Bass Hobbit was a go-to for teachers. Maybe I just went to poor public school. We saw lots of movies in elementary school. Another one that they would show every year was Disney's Sleepy Hollow movie during Halloween time.

Movies were always cool in elementary school because they would combine classes and get out the air popper.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

lol did you know the Indian guy in short circuit is a white guy in brown face?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I still have never seen the Rankin Bass "Return of the King" (IE where there's a whip). I only recently saw the Bashki LOTR movie.

Rankin Bass Hobbit was a go-to for teachers. Maybe I just went to poor public school. We saw lots of movies in elementary school. Another one that they would show every year was Disney's Sleepy Hollow movie during Halloween time.

Movies were always cool in elementary school because they would combine classes and get out the air popper.

When I was in elementary school VHS was still sorta new so most of the movies the school owned were on 16mm and there weren’t a lot…I know they loved to play Paddle to the Sea (National Film Board of Canada) and also that extremely depressing anime version of The Little Mermaid.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Just look em up they are like a company with $9 billion market cap damn THQ change their name …
Embracer Group AB (publ), together with its subsidiaries, develops and publishes PC, console, mobile, VR, and board games for the games market worldwide. The company has a catalogue of approximately 850 owned franchises, such as Saints Row, Goat Simulator, Dead Island, Darksiders, Metro, MX vs ATV, Kingdoms of Amalur, TimeSplitters, Satisfactory, Wreckfest, Insurgency, World War Z, and Borderlands, and others. It also publishes films and comics. It distributes games through retailers and digital distributors. The company was formerly known as THQ Nordic AB (publ) and changed its name to Embracer Group AB (publ) in October 2019. Embracer Group AB (publ) was incorporated in 1999 and is headquartered in Karlstad, Sweden.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
When I was in elementary school VHS was still sorta new so most of the movies the school owned were on 16mm and there weren’t a lot…I know they loved to play Paddle to the Sea (National Film Board of Canada) and also that extremely depressing anime version of The Little Mermaid.

Pretty sure the copy of disney's "Sleepy Hollow" that we watched was a 16mm print.

The PTA would also do a movie night where they would show 16mm rentals in the school auditorium. I can't remember most of the titles, but I am almost sure that is where I watched "Black Cauldron".