Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Pet Shop Boys - It couldn't happen here

A musical film with a nonsense plot of the duo driving through England to a gig, mostly like a combination of music videos. Some funny dialogue like the bilingual illiterate. Music from the first two albums and a general melancholic 80s vibe. 3/5

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Had a lot of fun watching NOPE yesterday at Tysons Corner. Really like how it made you want to look at the entire screen to find the UFO. Very fast paced and had lots of fun dialogue too. I'm thinking that I'd probably watch it and EEAAO again in the theater when I got the time.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Last Night in Soho- I wasn't sure what to expect from this, the reviews are all over the place and it was obvious they had no idea how to market it. I've enjoyed everything Edgar Wright has done and this is no exception. It's far from perfect but I have to give him credit for making an effective throwback psychological horror thriller in this day and age. It certainly wears it's influences on it's sleeve like all of his other work. You've got Hitchcock, Argento and even Satoshi Kon. It's an absolutely gorgeous film aside from some incredibly out of place CG, the camera work and editing is phenomenal. The soundtrack is fantastic as well. Overall it's flawed but enjoyable and a nice change from the action heavy stuff Wright has become known for.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Kill Bill - I haven't watched this in like 15 years. Still cool. In the background when Kiddo meets Hanzo, the characters 醉生梦死 were written, which my wife said describes me. Also, just now finding out Bill's father figure was played by the same white guy who played the sheriff.
Budd is still one of my favorite characters in cinema.
You're probably wasting your time.
I read this and honest to God muttered to myself out loud, "We all are."

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Matrix Resurrections -- intrigued by the beginning with the loops, pseudo wall-breaking stuff, clips from the first movie interspersed throughout, and even some of the cheesy stuff like "Simulatte" cafe. Thought it was going into an alternate retelling of the first movie, like the final fantasy vii remake which I thought would be cool. Disappointed when it became more of a standard, conventional action movie in the second half. It had potential to be a weird, interesting retrospective/reimagining so kinda of a shame how it ended up. Still worth watching if you liked the originals though, imo.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Test screenings for DC's Batgirl movie were so bad they're just going to axe the whole thing. It was finished, they got Michael Keaton back in the Batsuit for it, and they spent 70 million dollars on it but it's apparently so bad that WB won't even dump it on HBO Max.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'm reading all kinds of conflicting reports about the reasons for Batgirl being shelved. It being bad is the natural assumption, and what a lot of outlets are lazily going with. But I'm not reading anything that isn't second or third hand saying that. One thing I'm reading is that Batgirl is only one of several things that are being shut down mid-production. Discovery is cleaning house, maybe considering the financial losses from cancelled projects not in line with their vision of the company's future as simply being part of the price of acquiring WB.

And it was an HBO Max movie to begin with. They weren't necessarily planning to release it in theaters anyway. So saying " they won't even dump it on" is hyperbole. It was an HBO Max movie that got cancelled.

But yeah, it is surprising. Let's see if they do the same thing with Flash. Although they've sunk way more money into that one.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Conan The Barbarian- We all know it and it is indeed awesome. The cast, the action, the soundtrack, the locations everything is epic as fuck. If you disagree then Crom has no use for you.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Conan The Barbarian- We all know it and it is indeed awesome. The cast, the action, the soundtrack, the locations everything is epic as fuck. If you disagree then Crom has no use for you.
Oddly enough, the other book I'm reading is the original Conan stories omnibus vol. 1.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Psycho - Unrated Director's cut

My local artsy-fartsy-run-by-hipsters theater had a one night showing of Psycho. Great flick but had never seen it on the big screen. It was definitely cool to watch Anthony Perkins play innocent and creepy so well but on a huge screen. Awesome.

Reactions: Syn

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Prey is getting fairly good reviews which is nice change from the parade of half baked shit since Predator 2. (Predator 2 is pretty wonky but it's way better than anything after it) They seem to have gone back to the formula that made the first movie work so well. As in a smaller scope/focus and actual tension before the reveal of the Predator. It also looks like it managed to mostly avoid the girl power wokeness that I was really dreading.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Last House on the Left

Wes Craven's directorial debut. Two escaped convicts and 2 accomplices kidnap 2 girls who went to the big city for a concert. The quartet of criminals flee the city, taking the girls with them. Wouldn't you know it the bad guys car breaks down outside one of the kidnapped girls home out in the country. Torture, rape and death occur for the girls. The criminals then seek help at the nearest house which is the parents of one of the dead girls.

Watch the film to see the conclusion.

I can't say it's the best film but when you're bored on a Wednesday night it's good enough.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Last House on the Left

Wes Craven's directorial debut. Two escaped convicts and 2 accomplices kidnap 2 girls who went to the big city for a concert. The quartet of criminals flee the city, taking the girls with them. Wouldn't you know it the bad guys car breaks down outside one of the kidnapped girls home out in the country. Torture, rape and death occur for the girls. The criminals then seek help at the nearest house which is the parents of one of the dead girls.

Watch the film to see the conclusion.

I can't say it's the best film but when you're bored on a Wednesday night it's good enough.
I'm not a huge fan of the revenge exploitation genre, I've seen a few Ms. 45, I Spit on Your Grave, Hunting Ground, Last House and it's remake etc. I feel like any of the positive aspects are usually outweighed by the nastiness. They're just so unpleasant.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I found the original I Spit on Your Grave a hard watch. I'm not a fan of rape scenes, I watched it because it's a classic of sorts.

It was interesting but I have no interest in the remake or sequels.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I saw Last House on the Left once years ago. Not a bad movie by any means but…I’m good, no need to see it again. Which is funny because I’ll watch an over the top action-revenge film like Taken or something else where the hero murder-kills the badguys.

Reactions: Syn

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Test screenings for DC's Batgirl movie were so bad they're just going to axe the whole thing. It was finished, they got Michael Keaton back in the Batsuit for it, and they spent 70 million dollars on it but it's apparently so bad that WB won't even dump it on HBO Max.
I read it was $90 million.
Oh well, it was going to be DOA anyway so no loss.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Test screenings for DC's Batgirl movie were so bad they're just going to axe the whole thing. It was finished,
Okay, so an update to this and a small injection of reality:

The movie was not finished and test screening numbers were considered very good for something where none of the effects or other post production were completed. The movie (along with fellow HBO Max projects) was axed because of a tax maneuver which allows Discovery as part of the merger to write the loss off against WB's $3 billion debt. And this is an option that's only open to them until the middle of this month. So that's the entire reason. Not because the movie was bad.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Interesting, why is the “test screenings were poor” thing getting repeated? I heard that on NPR today.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Interesting, why is the “test screenings were poor” thing getting repeated? I heard that on NPR today.
Journalistic laziness. The numbers were in the 60s-70s, which is actually surprisingly good for a movie that is reportedly filled with shots of people in body suits and photos of actors' faces taped to their heads, along with other temps and uncompleted effects.

Honestly, after so many of the recent DC bombs, assuming the movie was going to suck was not an unrealistic conclusion to jump to. But it's a tax thing, combined with Discovery CEO Zaslav pivoting away from ousted former top guy Kilar's strategy to prioritize streaming subscriptions over movies. Which is also why it's being reported that 70% of HBO Max staff are about to be let go.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
TBH I can't think of anyone other than 5 year old girls that watched one of the many kiddy DC shows could have even wanted a Batgirl movie. I think the only hype was to see Keaton and the possibility of Batfleck again.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Kind of an arbitrary line you've drawn there between Batgirl and Daredevil. I'm not seeing as big a difference as you are. Both adolescent power fantasies. Not sure either is any deeper or more sophisticated than the other.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Kind of an arbitrary line you've drawn there between Batgirl and Daredevil. I'm not seeing as big a difference as you are. Both adolescent power fantasies. Not sure either is any deeper or more sophisticated than the other.
I would think the difference is palpable.

Daredevil got 3 seasons and a limited series, was featured in a mainline MCU film, and is getting an 18 episode "4th" season. People like Daredevil.

Batgirl has a show that was canceled, recast and then canceled and now a movie that is canceled. Thats 0 for 2.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Prince of Darkness - this has indeed held up well, better than I expected even. I like how much (almost all of it, I guess) is built around not having an actual definable, visible monster. There's more just an oppressive sense of impending doom. Good ending also, kind of before its time in terms of not tying things up nicely. Another instance of Carpenter having far more respect for the audience than a lot of filmmakers IMO.

Event Horizon - and then there's this, which has absolutely not aged well at all. I realize it wasn't a masterpiece to start with, but I remember at least moderately enjoying it when it came out and then upon one re-watch some years later. It is actually awful, though, with idiotic writing and direction, yes, shocking that that could happen in a Paul W.S. Anderson movie. I could swear the Resident Evil movies are better than EH, though, not that that's saying a lot.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Event Horizon is terrible. I also remembered it being not terrible when watching it on cable many years ago in fact even liking it. There's cool shit in it, the Hellraiser meets sci-fi vibe is great and the sets are pretty cool, Lawrence Fishburne and Sam Neil are trying. It's just so unbelievably stupid, poorly written and executed it's ridiculous. All the pieces are there but WS Anderson is such a talentless hack that mishandles literally every aspect. Apparently it has a large cult following and it keeps getting fancy home video releases but I think a lot of that is misremembered nostalgia and a lot of people just having really low standards for horror.

Sunshine does almost everything EH tried to do but competently.