80s Action Movies You'd Recommend to N00bs

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Cant go wrong with the Chuck Norris, Stallone, Schwarzenegger flicks. But if you also want some comedy you could do stuff like Hard Ticket to Hawaii, etc.
I think you can go wrong with Chuck Norris... maybe not in the 80 but deffo in the 90ties.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
What is the absolute best Chuck Norris movie? Is it as good as the 20th best movie with Jackie Chan or Jet Li?

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
The best Chuck Norris movie is Way of the Dragon, the rest of his acting career is downhill from there.
I took a while until I first noticed that that was chuck Norris when I first saw that movie

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Thanks folks. I'm a huge 80s HK action fan and have seen the majority of what everyone's mentioned so far, but wanted a litmus from you guys. Great recs!

In terms of 80s, I think we've got all the 'greats' covered here, including some 80s John Woo. Here's a few that I'd recommend outside of what's been mentioned so far:

On the Run: 80s cop action film with Yuen Biao not doing the Yuen Biao things, and it works! Pat Ha however steals the show as a hitwoman who steals every scene possible with a very underrated performance. More cop action than kung fu but definitely seek this out. If you're in the UK, 88 films is releasing a remaster of it so go and get it!

8 Diagram Pole Fighter & 5 Element Ninjas: If a kid asked me where to start with regards to 80s Shaw Brothers, these 2 would be my first recs. Underrated and undervalued among action afficionados at times, Shaw brought the pain dripped in kung fu glory and these 2 films are a great start.

Predator: I love Commando, Terminator, The Running Man & Conan for 80s Ahh-nold but Predator has got great set-pieces and builds tension like a motherfucker. And it's instantly quotable.

Highlander: In a lot of ways, Highlander, to me, was a unique film that combined action & fantasy that finds a way to keep you engaged as you bounce between 2 different timelines. Sad that every fucking movie after the first is a trash fire.

Revenge of the Ninja: A Cannon film is a must for every noob asking about 80s action and this would be my rec. The movie that made Sho Kosugi a star with some awesome ninja action.

Makai Tensho - Samurai Reincarnation: My favorite film starring the late, great Sonny Chiba. Jubei Yagyu fights Amakusa and the hordes of the damned who won't stop until the entire Tokugawa Bakufu burns. Great swordsfights, fantastic tension and lots of spookiness make this a big rec for those of you who love Kinji Fukasaku.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Some of the best HK action flicks were made in the 70's and 90's, rather than 80's.
A few examples:

A Touch of Zen (1971)
Drunken Master (1978)
Drunken Master II (1994)

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Just backing up the convo a bit - I thought it was widely held that Code of Silence was Chuck Norris's best film? I've not seen it, just sayin'.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen anything with Chuck in it that was good other than Game of Death. His acting isn’t amazing but it’s better than his shitty fighting.

It sorta how kids who never heard of anime would talk about how great Exo Squad was…and yeah…I guess it is…if you haven’t seen Yamato or Gundam or Totoro or anything good. In total ignorance, yeah, Exo Squad is great. Chuck Norris is great. Christian Rock is great. 7-11 hot dogs are great, etc.

I will say though that “Walker told me I have AIDS” may have gotten a bigger reaction from me than any HK movie ever managed…not for good reasons though.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Should Terminator be called an action movie?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yes, Aliens is an action film.... to the point of Parody.
Terminator 2 is an action film for sure.

I'm trying to remember how much "Action" there is in Terminator. It's pretty slow and methodical. All of the conflict is one sided until the end.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Not a huge amount... you've got long periods of the tension being cranked up while Sarah evades the Terminator. There's the police station shoot out, but it's quite short, and then you have that tanker blow up near the end. It has action, but not enough to quantify it as an outright action film especially if you compare it to the likes of Raw Deal and Commando which followed the Terminator, and later Predator and The Running Man.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Yeah, IIRC he just murders people one after until the viewer falls asleep in T1. T2 is a different thing all together and it’s kind of amazing they made a sequel to such a boring generic movie and decided to make that sequel the most expensive outlandish thing ever.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The Terminator is definitely an action movie.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Yeah, IIRC he just murders people one after until the viewer falls asleep in T1. T2 is a different thing all together and it’s kind of amazing they made a sequel to such a boring generic movie and decided to make that sequel the most expensive outlandish thing ever.
you are so full of bad takes. is the only thing you are interested in related to asian stuff? if the terminator was played by bruce lee or some obsecure japanese actor, you'd probably love it, you fagit.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yes The Terminator, that boring generic movie that spawned a million imitators, created the biggest action star of the last 40 years and skyrocketed its director in to superstardom.

Fuck off, Zeta.

Edit: lol basic beat me to it.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Terminator is awesome.

Just isn't an action movie.

I'm trying to think.... Are there any good vehicle chases in Terminator?
-If there are, I might change my classification.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If not for the "Quiet Man" scene, I wouldn't classify "They Live" as an action movie.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Terminator is awesome.

Just isn't an action movie.

I'm trying to think.... Are there any good vehicle chases in Terminator?
-If there are, I might change my classification.
doesn't matter. zeta said it's a boring, generic movie. he needs to be crucified. but yes, there is a chase scene.