Would anyone get this controller for their Dreamcast?

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner

It's designed liked the PlayStation but it looks like cheap shit I guess. But I would probably still get it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
giphy.gif

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I wouldn’t buy it because I’d never use it. The stock DC pad blows but it isn’t THAT shit looking at least. Also I already have adapters for Saturn pads so fuck no.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
It looks cheap and bad, like all those low quality third party ps1 controllers in the 90s. I would never use this. There are many good options in terms of adapters that will let you use good controllers and arcade sticks on DC, and this might not be a widely held opinion but I find the DC controller to be perfectly fine and responsive for the games in the DCs library, including the fighters. In this day and age are people really clamoring for a ps1 style controller for their Dreamcast?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The standard DC pad is one of the worst ever. The d-pad is asymmetrical, the triggers break, there aren’t enough face buttons and the shape of the thing forces your hands into an anti-ergonomic clutch that should never be the result of any tool or input device. It sucks. Oh, also the analog’s neutral dead spot is about %50 of its travel. These are my criticisms of it just as a stock pad. For fighting games it’s beneath criticism frankly, utter crap, which isn’t ideal because it was the best fighting system not named Neo for several years.

If you want analog, a Dual Shock adaptor would be a gift from heaven.

In period I used Saturn pads or Virtual Stick Pro unless the game required an analog like Sakura Wars, Shenmue or Skies of Arcadia. Sega GT and F355 caused me to buy the Thrustmaster wheel. F355 is basically unplayable on a DC pad. And of course the Twin Stick got a lot of use as well. I honestly didn’t use the stock pad all that much.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Why?

Just get a ESP32 chip, program BlueRetro onto it, and get y'self a wireless controller for that DC, bruh.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The parts on those are shit too. I burned through three of them back in the day before I finally switched to the Green Goblin and Saturn converters.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Does it have haptics?

HY either way totes obvs.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Brook has a combo DC/Saturn adaptor - plug in your modern controller (just about all PS types, Xbox or even Switch Pro controllers and all sticks) and you're good to go. You can even customize buttons. I use my modern Hori Hayabusa for fighters and a PS4 controller for just about everything else. Even has upgradeable firmware. Wireless controllers play wirelessly once they are paired as well. For less than any of these shoddy controllers like this or that Retro Fighters one, this is a much better option imo.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I guess a $40 adaptor is worth it…kinda pricey unless you’re playing by yourself.

Amazingly my Honk Honk bullshit from 20+ years ago still works so I still use that.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I absolutely love the original dreamcast controller, but I'm the minority there.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
dreamcast controller is great for games that use the stick + buttons, or stick + triggers. not so much for d-pad heavy use.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Dreamcast controller is perfect for anything that doesn't require the d-pad, and when it does I'd probably be using a stick anyway.
I love the DC controller. Feels much better weight-wise with the rumble pack in. Have big hands and it feels fine, often don't curl my fingies in around the "handles" or whatever and just hold it like a book lol

I bought one of those PS2 controller adapters cause I thought I'd enjoy it more but it just felt weird and off.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
WTF language is this?

Why? - A sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information, and in some cases disbelief.

Just get - Simply procure, or obtain.

a - An indefinite article that typically precedes a noun, such as

ESP32 chip - A feature-rich MCU with integrated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity for a wide-range of applications.

, - A comma, typically used to indicate a pause in a thought.

program - A sequence of coded instructions that can be inserted into a mechanism (in this case, also denoting the action of writing said instructions onto the device)

BlueRetro - https://github.com/darthcloud/BlueRetro by DarthCloud. (google is your friend)

onto it, - to place, or connect to. In this case, again referring to "program" (see above)

and - used to connect words of the same part of speech, clauses, or sentences that are to be taken jointly.

get y'self - procure or obtain for yourself

a - An indefinite article that typically precede a noun, such as

wireless controller - A controller (in this case, video game controller) that features wireless capabilities such as Bluetooth, wifi or RF signals.

for - used as a function word to indicate purpose

that - used to identify a specific person or thing observed by the speaker.

DC - The Sega Dreamcast, an optical disc based video game console released by Sega in 1998 in Japan, 1999 in The US.

- A comma, typically used to indicate a pause in a thought.

bruh. - A modern colloquialism of the word "brother," many times used as a familial term for friend, or acquaintance.

Hope that helps!

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Sorry, still don’t get it. I think you’re missing a Sega in there somewhere, it just comes out sounding like a Fast and the Furious monologue.

Also I’m not going to Google nonsense terms for products that won’t exist in two years in a discussion about decades old stuff.