SOTM May 2022: RAIDEN FIGHTERS JET

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I love the soundtrack to this game -- it's literally the sound of Adderall.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Finally am getting the medal mode early consistently and got a score I'm not embarrassed of (Thanks for the guide @Atro, it helped a ton!):

View attachment 57574

GMEGBLN - PCB - 31,028,870 - IXION- Level 40

I had a much easier time getting the medal mode with Ixion, really touchy controls but I'm finding it the superior ship to the others (besides the slave lol)

--------

I always had a respect for this game before but man, I've fallen completely in love again and feel blessed that I got a PCB for peanuts awhile ago. At first getting into its guts and studying the mechanics seemed like such a colossal chore and incredibly intimidating when first trying to score, but when things click the game will suck you into an absolute trance, it's awesome. The visuals are pretty uninspired but it's marvellously detailed and top class pixel art, and while I always thought the music was meh and the weakest part of the equation before, when you get into that flow state then it literally all blends together into such a beautiful, tasty STG stew. I was first exposed to it with the Aces collection on 360 as a teen but I had the stupid idea that I should 1CC the games in order which I proceeded to never do, so Jet was never something I put real time into. And that's a huge shame, 'cause while the entire series is great this definitely stands out as the best game Seibu ever made and even one of the best shmups of all time, though it's definitely for enthusiasts and not something I'd recommend to casual players

The biggest annoyance for me is how lucrative the special medal mode is which makes a failure an instant restart, and it really is an absolute slog in an arcade setting to start fresh every time you fuck a run up. For that reason alone I think the 360 port is the definitive version if you can get over the refresh rate goofiness. The slave formation stuff needing algebra to not be random to you is also an incredibly annoying design decision and really blows
RFJ is 2 in 1 game.

First part is really understanding the unlocking of the medal chain scoring. The rest is shooting.

One can just blast the game all way long, but won't score much. And scoring is all RFJ is about. After my last score I've left the game aside. I've been rocking most of my new Saturn shmups as of late. But with a ramping score like yours, I guess you let me no choice but to go back to the game to cover my ass! :D

Congrats @Gremlin for rocking with that plane. I simply can't stand its movement! :keke:

And I myself don't consider that I'm that good at it. I've just put a bit of time and effort (lots of credits and restarts) but for this game, it's well worth it.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
On an unmodded system you need the disc present as a copy protection to launch after install, but yeah, you can install the game 1st which can help.
what's the advantage of putting it on your HD if you still need the disc? Read time?

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
what's the advantage of putting it on your HD if you still need the disc? Read time?
Read time, or if the disc happens to get damaged over time, maybe it still lets the game start. I usually install games to my 360 HDD if I have the room.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
And we’re back after a little 3000 grit sandpaper…
1653002897304.jpeg

Dogg - 27,159,266 - Level 50 - Miclus - 360

Still don’t think I’ve hit the big metal too. I have a better understanding of it. More practice, fun game though.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Still don’t think I’ve hit the big metal too. I have a better understanding of it. More practice, fun game though.
Grab it at the end of the first stage. Otherwise, reset the game. It's not worth to keep playing for high scores. You know it's the big one when it turns purple. ;)

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Is it typical for the game to take forever to load?

Game is getting annoying with the accidental meta chain pick up…

Last edited:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
BBH - 59,139,858 - Phase 2 - Ixion - Xbox360

Rusty as fuck, I'd like to 1CC this again but I've forgotten so many of the patterns, and I didn't want to use Slave/Miclus/Fairy for this

Attachments

• IMG20220520175453.jpg
    IMG20220520175453.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 9

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
BBH - 59,139,858 - Phase 2 - Ixion - Xbox360

Rusty as fuck, I'd like to 1CC this again but I've forgotten so many of the patterns, and I didn't want to use Slave/Miclus/Fairy for this
Savage

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Looks like we have some new players in town :D

Scores updated!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
After BBH stepped in, I told myself there's gonna be a way to score way more. Then I saw a 160 (!!!!) Million mark video on youtube.

Made me practice a lot this weekend to the point of reaching a few times Phase 2, and also kickin' that score way earlier. I lost count of the many resets after missing the miclus in stage 1...

Found out that the trick to avoid messing with the medals, was not getting 3x the Slave before grabbing it at the fullest. 3rd Slave icon makes it impossible to grab.

Don't get sleepy @BBH and @Dogg I'm coming for you :D

Attachments

• 20220522_010407.jpg
    20220522_010407.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220522_232046.jpg
    20220522_232046.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Wow. I’m not good at this. Fun game though. Super chaotic.

85EEA1D4-9495-40C3-BBB3-2FC5D4D627F7.jpeg

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Wow. I’m not good at this. Fun game though. Super chaotic.

View attachment 57662
What system are you playing and what ship is this?

Please post the info like this "BBH - 59.139,858 - Ixion -Phase 2 - Xbox360" so that i can maintain some coherence in the scoring table.

Thanks

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member

Please post the info like this "BBH - 59.139,858 - Ixion -Phase 2 - Xbox360" so that i can maintain some coherence in the scoring table.

Thanks
Please don’t post like that! That score is more than mine!

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

Thanks

Xbox 360 and honestly I’m not sure it was like level 20 and the character was the one ship with the cool laser. Really you could probably not even put me on the board and it wouldn’t matter.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Xbox 360 and honestly I’m not sure it was like level 20 and the character was the one ship with the cool laser. Really you could probably not even put me on the board and it wouldn’t matter.
You have to be on the board, that's the whole point of it :D

Let's leave the ship name in blank. This was a complicated month for me and i haven't even tried the game so i have no idea about ship names 💩

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
You have to be on the board, that's the whole point of it :D

Let's leave the ship name in blank. This was a complicated month for me and i haven't even tried the game so i have no idea about ship names 💩
It's the "Flying Ray".