Hey America, what's new?

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
What's new?

People are paying $100K over listing costs to buy a house.

6gm86u.jpg

lithy

20 Year Member
Not just people. Corporations. America needs to update its real estate rules yesterday.

So that....corporations can't own property?

Sounds like commie talk, care to elaborate?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Buddy when corporations are buying up hundreds of single family homes and turning them out for rent then things need to change.
Sounds good for renters

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Sounds good for renters
Paying rent to a faceless mega corporation who give even less of a fuck than some shit bag landlord?

The problem is corporations buying housing to rent in areas where everyone else owns, that fucks up property values and brings in generally shitty people and high turnover. Do you want to own a property that you care about and have neighbors that don't?

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Sounds good for renters
The ability to rent etc. can then be conveniently tied to other requirements.

I live in Facebook town on Zucc street, if I maintain my social credit rating I get a free XL Cockroach burger at Bill's Excrement Bar every Friday. Time for my weekly booster shot, I can almost taste the cockroach.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Paying rent to a faceless mega corporation who give even less of a fuck than some shit bag landlord?

The problem is corporations buying housing to rent in areas where everyone else owns, that fucks up property values and brings in generally shitty people and high turnover. Do you want to own a property that you care about and have neighbors that don't?

Yeah that’s the problem. No reason I want to move into a nice neighborhood is to get away from people that have that apartment mentality. When people don’t own something they treat it with way less respect than they would if they did.

lithy

20 Year Member
Buddy when corporations are buying up hundreds of single family homes and turning them out for rent then things need to change.

Yes, but the thing that needs to change is not the thing you think needs to change.

What should be done is that we could eliminate a great deal of regulation and zoning that keep new housing development from happening, this would drive down the cost of existing housing and/or increase population density in areas that are clearly in demand.

But instead it's NIMBYs all the way up the ladder.

Blaming 'corporations' (do LLCs count?) is how you give the various levels of government a cop out for their role in the protection scheme that is home ownership.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Crom forbid we have mixed use. Can’t have a corner grocer next to some apartments which are next to some small homes.

StevenK

10 Year Member

Tbh I was just disagreeing for fun.

However I would say that I don't have the same kind of issue with large companies that a lot of people here do. I like arms length. I want my supermarket cashier to be a robot, I want my charitable giving to come out of my taxes at source, I like it when I can carry out a full telephone banking transaction through an automated system.

When single man rips me off I feel annoyed but lazy and do nothing. When mega corp fucks me he's probably fucking lots of other people in the same way at the same time and one of them will be the kind of tenacious, bored old rich guy who will take up the fight on my behalf.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Yes, but the thing that needs to change is not the thing you think needs to change.

What should be done is that we could eliminate a great deal of regulation and zoning that keep new housing development from happening, this would drive down the cost of existing housing and/or increase population density in areas that are clearly in demand.

But instead it's NIMBYs all the way up the ladder.

Blaming 'corporations' (do LLCs count?) is how you give the various levels of government a cop out for their role in the protection scheme that is home ownership.
I think a lot of the covid trillions in handouts/loans to big corps are being used to buy up all the houses. I'm now fully convinced libertarian principles are the only viable solution to America's problems. You start handing out cash to this group and that, all you get is corruption.

StevenK

10 Year Member
I think a lot of the covid trillions in handouts/loans to big corps are being used to buy up all the houses. I'm now fully convinced libertarian principles are the only viable solution to America's problems. You start handing out cash to this group and that, all you get is corruption.
What are america's problems?

Have you noticed the rest of the planet?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

That the rest of the world is worse off than AMERICA doesn’t mean we don’t have our own problems.

We are the most car dependent nation in the world and gasoline is currently near $6 a gallon where I live.

Cost of living, housing (cost and availability) access to affordable medical care, and a completely dysfunctional government torn between ruling the world and improving their own country.

Wouldn’t want to live anywhere else though.

StevenK

10 Year Member
That the rest of the world is worse off than AMERICA doesn’t mean we don’t have our own problems.

We are the most car dependent nation in the world and gasoline is currently near $6 a gallon where I live.

Cost of living, housing (cost and availability) access to affordable medical care, and a completely dysfunctional government torn between ruling the world and improving their own country.

Wouldn’t want to live anywhere else though.
We make our own misery.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

I can't fix the problems but I hope for the best for everyone. America is not going to solve your problems.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'd love it if we had mixed use dwellings. I want to live close to convenience stores and shit.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'd love it if we had mixed use dwellings. I want to live close to convenience stores and shit.
It's legitimately why I enjoyed living in China. Walk out the door and there's a supermarket and restaurants within a three minute walk.