Wurds you duz rong

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Are there any words you've been getting wrong for years that you hadn't noticed?

At some point in history I apparently fucked off the -er in drawer, and only realised I'd been doing this when someone here (probably famicommander, he's a cunt like that) pointed it out.

Just to pre-empt, any American thinking of saying the English way of spelling English words is wrong can fuck right off.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
According to the rest of the English speaking world we've been getting the entire language wrong and to those people I say fuck off carnt!

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Ain’t, I’mma, ‘bout to, getchu, Coke, and several other word are a part of my everyday vocabulary.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
when i was young i kept pronouncing 'specific' as 'pacific'.

as a side note, i hate anyone that pronounces 'moot' as 'mute'. they need to die.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I once referred to the Radiohead song Idioteque as “idio-tech” and was corrected by a friend who informed me that it is pronounced “idiotic”.

I was so ashamed...

Spoiler:
..for listening to Radiohead

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Renumeration doesn't mean "payment" – it's remuneration.

I once referred to the Radiohead song Idioteque as “idio-tech” and was corrected by a friend who informed me that it is pronounced “idiotic”.

I was so ashamed...

Spoiler:
..for listening to Radiohead
This is news to me. :(

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Renumeration doesn't mean "payment" – it's remuneration.

This is news to me. :(

I think he said he heard Thom Yorke refer to it that way in an interview or maybe live?

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I recall going to the libary in the month of Febuary to look up something about nucular bombs

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'd always heard the English put extra "u"s in everything like coloUr, because secretly they wish they were Frenchies. Sounds about right.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I think Basic pointed out that ‘blah blah’ should be ‘blah de blah’ to me recently. I felt I perhaps learnt something there.

And Kernow hates it when I get ’your’ and ‘you’re’ mixed up. Almost as much as he hates FOOK.

I'd always heard the English put extra "u"s in everything like coloUr, because secretly they wish they were Frenchies. Sounds about right.

Because it’s pronounced ‘kul-uh’ over here instead of ‘kuh-luh’.

There’s lots of interesting examples of how we pronounce words differently across the globe!

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Environment
that R all over the place until I locked it down. then one day I noticed it was "iron"ment

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I mispronounced vinyl, cretin, and respite when I was younger. There are probably others, but, those are the ones that come immediately to mind.

StevenK

10 Year Member
I could fill a whole thread with song lyrics I've misheard

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I just noticed this one recently... is there a reason why no knows the difference between rogue and rouge? Seems like nobody ever gets that shit right.

StevenK

10 Year Member
I just noticed this one recently... is there a reason why no knows the difference between rogue and rouge? Seems like nobody ever gets that shit right.
Pet hate - loose for lose. You see that a lot.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
I always say minellium instead of millenium. Or tribble instead of triple.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I used to employ a part-time librarian who thought the word was pronounced "libary." She had a degree in Libary Science and everything. Then the library closed and she was just the office manager and it wasn't funny anymore.