Picard

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I've kind of had the opposite reaction to them. I loved First Contact when it came out...then the subsequent others disappointed me when they came out. HOWEVER, I love them all now. I love how Insurrection feels like an episode and not a movie. I love Generations...I fucking love all of them. I realize why they don't appeal to most, but I can slap on any Trek movie...even the very first and just bathe in the warm glowing glow. Maybe not 5, but even then, if it's on I wouldn't turn it off. I don't really dislike any of them.

I feel that way with the original cast films. 1 is really pretty mediocre but then II-IV, and VI are solid films (except for V, fuck V). The TNG films just feel...off. They seem poorly written and almost a parody of TNG. Again, the overall plots; the concept of the time ribbon/energy field thing, the Borg going back to stop humans from acquiring warp drive, and the idea of a Romulan clone of Picard look good on paper...but the application is just crappy. let's not discuss Insurrection...that's a serious turd.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
They're all really freaking bad. Again, how it is all 3 are such crap is beyond me. They could have been ok, the overall plot of each film is solid enough, but the application is just terrible.

Yeah, exactly. Insurrection on paper almost sounds like it could have been a TNG episode. I mean, it treads some ground already covered in old episodes even. But then whatever dipshit screenwriter they handed it off to turned it into the biggest steaming pile imaginable. They are all terrible.

Maybe some people have a lower bar or whatever, but I can't remain in a continuous cringe-state for 2 hours. It's too hard on the shoulder and neck muscles.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
The First Contact hate is burrshit. The scene where picard smashes his display cabinet is the only piece of decent acting that has taken place in the unbelievable number of hours that the various trek tv series and films have flopped out over the past half century. It's exquisite.

I liked Picard too, until the last half of the last episode where it got all kinds of stupid and ghey.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
The First Contact hate is burrshit. The scene where picard smashes his display cabinet is the only piece of decent acting that has taken place in the unbelievable number of hours that the various trek tv series and films have flopped out over the past half century.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Spoiler:
So Picard loved Data as in gay love or as in brotherly love?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Now I need to whip out my Laserdiscs and revisit these movies. I don't remember them being blockbusters, but I don't remember hating them either.... maybe Generations a little bit. Data was kind of a bitch.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
No spoilers but I def teared up.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
The Redlettermedia dudes are dumb. They act like they're hardcore Trek encyclopedias and yet consistently make points that would indicate they didn't even watch the show.

They criticized the thing with the Romulan kid by saying that Picard hates kids and you have to show the development. They must have brain damage because they forgot about what Picard said in one of the most popular episodes of the whole fucking show.

"I always believed that I didn't need children to complete my life. Now, I couldn't imagine life without them." - Picard in The Inner Light

And it's not just that. Almost every point they make is equally ignorant. They're fucking retarded.

Having said all that, this new show is obviously a sack of turd. The dumb Romulan kid who was fucking Data's daughter looks like Max from Goof Troop.

gooftroop.png

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Anyone close to TNG is going to struggle with Picard. That's just the way it is.

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
I watched all of Picard, and I'm also slowly giving a chance to their [CBS'] crappy new Twilight Zone reboot (sadly that 1st terrible episode really sabotaged it, and of course nobody has Rod Serling's charisma as narrator...).

With Picard, I'm not sure how I feel about it. It was cool to see Patrick Stewart back in that role, but I think the different adventure-per-episode Star Trek model of prior shows was better than a long mini series of 10 episodes around one quest...

I do enjoy dark SciFi at times, and while it was all mildly interesting, it just didn't leave a mark now that I think about it... It's forgettable, but "OK enough" that I'm willing to watch the next season when it's released.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
they're already working on yet another new show with the discovery pike.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I liked Picard because Riker was in it. That's how deeply I liked the show.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I liked Picard because Riker was in it. That's how deeply I liked the show.

scans user records.....confirmed.

I watched Plinkett's commentary. There certainly were a lot of macguffins in picard, but good luck finding a fictional show that isn't littered with them nowadays. I'm not going to pick apart the plot in scifi after the latest star wars trilogy. Everything seems logical compared to Last Skywalker.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Bringing this back from the dead.

Anyone watching Season 2? So far I'm really enjoying it. Time travel story done mostly right and reintroducing Q was a great idea.

The whole cast (except for Wil) is returning for S3. Not everyday you get a teaser for the next season when the current one is only halfway done.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I didn't care for Season 1 of Picard - still need to watch Season 2.

As for bringing the gang back together for Season 3...

IMG_2869.jpeg