Neo Geo CD Front Loader - Laser Tray/ assembly not lifting up

Tengugurl

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hi all!
TL;DR HTH do I get the Laser assembly to lift up after the Disc tray pulls back inwards?

Background:
Bought a Neo Geo CD Front Loader off eBay a few days ago (Sold as Junk).
Over lunch today, looked at the laser assembly, marked where it was at OEM wise tuned it counter-clockwise a wee bit (IKR, I would normally go Clockwise), and Ta-DA!
Laser works. (that's a relief!)

Noticed the Disc Tray was loose and flopping around so I slowly cranked the tray and laser assembly till it was back in gear. (Fixed!)

Then I decided to clean up the ancient electric grease inside the laser assembly with some 99% ISP alcohol then hit it with some Sewing machine oil and electric grease on the laser caddy pole thingy (That is what its called.. :p jk)

All is working for this beauty except...
There is this spindle thing that has a track that the laser assembly carriage lifts up to set it in the read status once the Disc tray is fully pulled back in. (AKA it's ready to read a disc)

The thing is if I push the assembly gently upwards once the tray is receding back - it's magic! It clicks into gear and reads like a charm.
It's as if there is a motor that turns that spindle part that's not working.

Does anyone have any pointers? Links or guides on this? (I couldn't find anything)
I may just get a Neo Geo SD Loader and call it done on this (Knowing the laser is good and if I felt like using the laser one day I could just do the lift and click method but, I am a perfectionist and kinda want it working)

Thanks all!

image0 (1).jpeg

Tengugurl

Cheng's Errand Boy
for sh*ts and giggles I thought maybe its like a Sega CD 1 and maybe it was a rubberband issue.
Turns out I was right. Used a spare Sega CD1 rubber band and now it slides up nicely in place.

Yay!

Also yay for Ebay for junk listings. Its always a fun challenge

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Nice catch, good job fixing it :)

IIRC, the front loader takes a 40 pin BIOS just like the AES, there is a special uni bios for it:

but I have no experience with it

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Yes it’s a bad drive belt, you can get new ones from console5.com

The Neo Geo CD Unibios 3.3 works great on the NGCD Front Loader, it does everything one expects of a UniBIOS, I highly recommend getting one.

Please desolder the original bios and install a socket like civilized people do.