How people who started collecting home carts 20 years ago look at everyone else on this forum.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Homecarts are for suckers, collecting is stupid

Get a flashcart, use MAME, get an MVS, get a Neo CD and a stack of blank discs, play compilations or digital versions on modern consoles. pretty much anything is better than homecarts in 2022.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I’ve already reconciled with the fact that i’mnot going to be able to get all the homecarts I had previously, but over the past few years I was able to get a good amount of them (I have about 25 of the 50 or so I had originally). Maybe a handful more I want, but I am mostly content with what I have currently.

Hopefully most of the older members have what they want at this point, because yeah, buying homecarts these days sucks for many reasons, even beyond prices.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Too fake carts, and too many fagits, and too many fake fagits

Reactions: Syn

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
but what will it look like when people stop trying to collect?
same smug faces that wished they sold at the peak.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
No one gives a fuck about big tymerisms anymore except for some new european collectors that missed the memo, and of course pure resellers slash "investors" (lol). The AES circlejerk is not what it used to anymore.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
No one gives a fuck about big tymerisms anymore except for some new european collectors that missed the memo, and of course pure resellers slash "investors" (lol). The AES circlejerk is not what it used to anymore.
agreed. more self-jerking and not enough jerking others.

MarsellusW

n00b
I think some people grew up with the Neo Geo in the arcade but couldn't afford them as it was really expensive IF you could get them in a store. (It was never available here where i lived.) Now these people grew up and have a good job and wage and now have the money to relive the childhood they, in their opinion, missed. I don't see the problem.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The fact is there's really no way you're not going to look down someone who is now paying many THOUSANDS for something that a lot of people paid $50-200 for. Plus most of the people paying insane prices sure as hell aren't playing them. Even if they are a legitimate fan you just can't risk handling a game that costs as much as a nice car.

20-30 years ago there was no way to tell that these things were going to be worth so much. Sure they were expensive and you took good care of them but you also still used them so seeing guys spend a downpayment on a house just to put shit on shelves and take pictures/video of is pretty disgusting.

Also I don't want to hear any bullshit about how I don't know that the guy that spent $50k on a home cart doesn't appreciate it. He doesn't and he can't appreciate it the same way as getting it on release and playing it daily for years.

If you never collected home carts when they were still coming out you'll never be able to appreciate them the in same way as those that did. And no shit like Xeno Crisis doesn't count lol.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
I think some people grew up with the Neo Geo in the arcade but couldn't afford them as it was really expensive IF you could get them in a store. (It was never available here where i lived.) Now these people grew up and have a good job and wage and now have the money to relive the childhood they, in their opinion, missed. I don't see the problem.
based upon what we've seen on this forum, youtube, and social media, i think your premise is mostly wrong. a lot, if not most, are not really that well off. do they have more money than when they were kids? sure, but they are living paycheck to paycheck and are redirecting money they could use on themselves in better ways or their family. do i care? no. just saying...it seems like it's more about getting virtual high fives from other people about their sweet collections.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
based upon what we've seen on this forum, youtube, and social media, i think your premise is mostly wrong. a lot, if not most, are not really that well off. do they have more money than when they were kids? sure, but they are living paycheck to paycheck and are redirecting money they could use on themselves in better ways or their family. do i care? no. just saying... on coke and hookers

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
a lot, if not most, are not really that well off. do they have more money than when they were kids? sure, but they are living paycheck to paycheck and are redirecting money they could use on themselves in better ways or their family. do i care? no. just saying...it seems like it's more about getting virtual high fives from other people about their sweet collections.
Agreed, how many full grow adults say shit like "Well I guess I'm just gonna have to cut out _________ this week/month lolz" because they bought a new game, sneakers, toy, record etc. A lot more than should. Or put dumb shit on a credit card and wrack up interest.

Plus now we've got this whole preorder/limited edition market that makes everyone feel like they have to buy something right now or else they're never gonna get it. If you look at a lot of collectible sales you always see people selling off shit that they just got that was an impulse buy from a preorder 6 months ago that they have no real interest in and are selling it fund the next OMG limited preorder. Which is also going to be for sale 6 months down the road. This happens all the time.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I think a lot of it comes down to collecting for internal reasons vs. external reasons.

I see some guys who collect and it's clear their collection means something to them. I don't think it matters when someone starts collecting, as much as it does as why they are collecting. The people that get looked down on are those doing it for e-cred or speculative reasons.

Who cares what someone else pays for a game, if they can afford it, then so be it. The whole Sucks for me , they are driving prices up on stuff I want, is I believe where some of the bitterness comes in for some people. If someone really just wants to play a game, then there are a lot of ways to have that experience now without dropping a shit load of cash on a home cart, so again it goes back to why are they collecting.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
To be fair, many AES games are cheaper than they were in the 90's (some vastly so), especially if you adjust for inflation. The games that were deemed "rare" upon release like the Metal Slug series and most shooters were overpriced back then, and they are even more so now. But, if you're after AES games to play, the Japanese market is mostly fair play - especially for fighting games.
  • Fighting games were around $300 on AES in the 90's brand new on release. That adjusts to around $550 today.
    • Most of the best fighting games are under $400 in today's cash - many being well under $300.
  • Non-Fighting games were around $200-$250. That's around $400 today.
    • This is the segment with the most inflation in today's market.
The difference was that back then, buying AES was the only way to play these games at home. These days you have options - a lot of options. Many of those options are literally free.

The US/Euro market is the overblown market segment and where ardent shelf-collectards spend their thousands.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
If you look at legit auctions on Yaj, no shill bidding or any other shenanigans, prices haven't changed much. Prices have increased but not by much. You can't take buy it now's seriously. I laugh at those prices.