Weirdest/craziest/most unique arcade setup?

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
Recently I was talking with a friend and we both remembered how here in Romania we used to have GTA San Andreas/FIFA arcade machines back in the mid 2000s and I think these were the most popular even. It kinda made sense, since most people couldn't afford a PC powerful enough to run these games properly and the current consoles at the time were quite pricey since everything was imported here, the PS3 being the first officially released console.

Didn't seem that strange to me back then, but thinking about it now, it was certainly an interesting setup to see in action. I couldn't find much info on it sadly, only a video and a few posts on reddit with people from South America also remembering those existed and also being very popular. From what I could gather tho, it seems to be a modded original Xbox inside a cabinet.

So yea, what are some of the most crazy and unique arcade setups you guys have seen/experienced?

Last edited:

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
One of the arcades here had a 32X Doom arcade machine
Interesting choice, but I can kinda see why, since having a MD in a cab wasn't that uncommon.
Ive got a Dreamcast MGCD. It was a cheap alternative to having "Naomi" games in a cab. Interesting little piece of tech.
For sure.
My local Round 1 Exton, PA had one of these for some reason last time I checked.

View attachment 56185
What is it? I've never seen one and I am not familiar with the source material at all. How exactly is it played?

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Interesting choice, but I can kinda see why, since having a MD in a cab wasn't that uncommon.

For sure.

What is it? I've never seen one and I am not familiar with the source material at all. How exactly is it played?
You basically pick an event like a wedding or an office scenario and you’re supposed to flip the table to freak all of the characters out. That’s about what I get out of it since I don’t read or speak Japanese.

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
You basically pick an event like a wedding or an office scenario and you’re supposed to flip the table to freak all of the characters out. That’s about what I get out of it since I don’t read or speak Japanese.

Lmao, interesting stuff, 💯 would give it a try.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Recently I was talking with a friend and we both remembered how here in Romania we used to have GTA San Andreas/FIFA arcade machines back in the mid 2000s and I think these were the most popular even. It kinda made sense, since most people couldn't afford a PC powerful enough to run these games properly and the current consoles at the time were quite pricey since everything was imported here, the PS3 being the first officially released console.

Didn't seem that strange to me back then, but thinking about it now, it was certainly an interesting setup to see in action. I couldn't find much info on it sadly, only a video and a few posts on reddit with people from South America also remembering those existed and also being very popular. From what I could gather tho, it seems to be a modded original Xbox inside a cabinet.

So yea, what are some of the most crazy and unique arcade setups you guys have seen/experienced?
I had one of these ‘timer boards.’ Got rid of it pretty quick, as it was a ballache to use.
(Had to coin up in the middle of games way too often)
At the time (10 years ago) it was an inexpensive and easy way to jamma-fy a console.

Unscrupulous arcade ops back in the day, would use these as mame-jukeboxes to save on cost outlays for pcbs.

These days, there are many options for using consoles on cabs, that don’t have a timer function.

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
Also when it comes to the Neo, here we really had some improvised stuff. Lots of cabs looked like this here.

image;s=1200x1600.jpg

Romanian Neo Geo cab, the buttons use parts from a slot machine and a lot of Neo cabs were just repurposed slot machines here. Kinda interesting and funny. Most were also set to free play and you would just pay a fee/hour at the bar counter to use the cabs.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Also when it comes to the Neo, here we really had some improvised stuff. Lots of cabs looked like this here.

View attachment 56189

Romanian Neo Geo cab, the buttons use parts from a slot machine and a lot of Neo cabs were just repurposed slot machines here. Kinda interesting and funny. Most were also set to free play and you would just pay a fee/hour at the bar counter to use the cabs.
giphy.gif