Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The only good thing about any of the Hostel movies is Takashi Miike's cameo in the first one. Eli Roth is douche of titanic proportions, he's literally Jamie Kennedy's character from Scream. Cabin Fever is the only watchable thing he's ever made and that's not saying much.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Green Inferno is worth a watch I'd say.
I like you man but you're out of your mind. That's easily his worst movie lol. Although I will give it points for being more ambitious than his other stuff, but even being an homage to Italian Cannibal movies it's a tasteless failure.

The Last Duel- It's nice to see something aside from superheroes and Star Wars get a big production. While I wouldn't rate it as high as Kingdom of Heaven Directors Cut it shows that Scott hasn't totally lost it. Though it is derivative of Kurosawa, not sure how much of that is the book though. Worth watching for the sets, costumes and battle sequences alone. Aside from Affleck I'd say everyone gives pretty solid performances overall. Recommended.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I like you man but you're out of your mind. That's easily his worst movie lol. Although I will give it points for being more ambitious than his other stuff, but even being an homage to Italian Cannibal movies it's a tasteless failure.

The Last Duel- It's nice to see something aside from superheroes and Star Wars get a big production. While I wouldn't rate it as high as Kingdom of Heaven Directors Cut it shows that Scott hasn't totally lost it. Though it is derivative of Kurosawa, not sure how much of that is the book though. Worth watching for the sets, costumes and battle sequences alone. Aside from Affleck I'd say everyone gives pretty solid performances overall. Recommended.
It is trash and not an easy watch, but as you say commendable for it's ambition and audacity. I wouldn't recommend the film to anyone that where not a horror film nut and even then I would be hard pressed to do so. I think my enjoyment of the film derives from generally enjoying Eli Roth's signature style.
It's a very personal "fault" I suppose, as I say not something I will champion.

I agree with your assesment of the Last Duel. I was mostly interested in the haircuts than the story. The duel aspect is very satisfying though, Scott is always poetic with dark violence. Been meaning to rewatch the Councellor speaking of dark violence. Scott's films are great for multiple watches beyond wether or not the content is any good.
I give the Last Duel a higher place than is warranted mostly because I noticed it is the third film in what up to now a trilogy concering duels (the Duellists, Gladiator, the Last Duel).

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I watched Personal Shopper with Kristen Stewart. Well, it's a bit uneven with its storytelling, as the MacGuffin relation with a ghost-brother overshadows some of the more interesting topics in this film, like the relation the main protagonist shares with a superior. It's very Lynch inspired, too bad it comes too short, though it's still one of the strongest assets of this movie. The other ones are great filming locations and yeah, in parts, Stewart, too. It's recommended, just forget about that stupid title.

Xavier

1st Lt, Sonic Wings Squadron
20 Year Member
The horror genre was pretty much dead by the mid-late 90's.
Not saying they were very good movies but I credit Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer for bringing back "scary movies".

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The horror genre was pretty much dead by the mid-late 90's.
Not saying they were very good movies but I credit Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer for bringing back "scary movies".
The Blair Witch Project did more to bring back horror than both of those combined. It's also a piece of shit and is to blame for an entire sub genre of horror, but it make a shit ton of money.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I finally watched Halloween Kills. The writing was outright bad both in dialogue and regarding the plot in general, though I'm not sure how much of that should be blamed on McBride and Gordon Green vs. the studio forcing them to write a third movie for a trilogy that never should have been one. Just a lot of cringe-worthy lines. I also kinda think Jamie Lee Curtis, in particular (though it also affected Hall) was very poorly directed. Anyway, bad movie that was mildly redeemed by the increase in both volume and creativity of the kill scenes.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Scream more specifically revitalized the slasher genre than horror broadly.

When Scream 1-3 came out we were in the midst of a sea of terrible Friday the 13th, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw, Candyman, and Child's Play sequels. They were bombing and/or going direct to video.

Scream came out and ended up being the highest grossing slasher ever and held that title all the way until Halloween (2018). Scream 2 was the second highest grossing until then, and the first two films remain #2 and #3 without even adjusting for inflation.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I finally watched Halloween Kills. The writing was outright bad both in dialogue and regarding the plot in general, though I'm not sure how much of that should be blamed on McBride and Gordon Green vs. the studio forcing them to write a third movie for a trilogy that never should have been one. Just a lot of cringe-worthy lines. I also kinda think Jamie Lee Curtis, in particular (though it also affected Hall) was very poorly directed. Anyway, bad movie that was mildly redeemed by the increase in both volume and creativity of the kill scenes.
I'm not even on board with the movie that came before it. I thought it was overrated as hell, maybe other than that one long shot everyone always brings up and was kind of nice. Pretty terrible writing and a nothing story with bland acting and cartoon characterizations across the board. Pretty much zero build up of tension and zero point.

Reactions: jro

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I'm not even on board with the movie that came before it. I thought it was overrated as hell, maybe other than that one long shot everyone always brings up and was kind of nice. Pretty terrible writing and a nothing story with bland acting and cartoon characterizations across the board. Pretty much zero build up of tension and zero point.
I would never, ever, have imagined I'd watch a version of Halloween that would make me think to myself ya know, the Rob Zombie ones weren't that bad.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I would never, ever, have imagined I'd watch a version of Halloween that would make me think to myself ya know, the Rob Zombie ones weren't that bad.
oh god is that how bad halloween kills is?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Dagon- Super janky Spanish/US co-production of a Lovecraft short story by the guys behind Re-Animator and From Beyond. I think this would have benefited greatly from some of their trademark humor. Also filming it in Spain with a Spanish supporting cast while I'm sure financially beneficial just doesn't work as well as New England. The effects are all over the place and the CG is low budget even for 2002 but they did the best with what they had. It gets bonus points for making me question wether or not I'd fuck a chick with octopus tentacles for legs.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Scream more specifically revitalized the slasher genre than horror broadly.

When Scream 1-3 came out we were in the midst of a sea of terrible Friday the 13th, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw, Candyman, and Child's Play sequels. They were bombing and/or going direct to video.

Scream came out and ended up being the highest grossing slasher ever and held that title all the way until Halloween (2018). Scream 2 was the second highest grossing until then, and the first two films remain #2 and #3 without even adjusting for inflation.

Wouldn't be a Fanny post without equating box office returns and Rotten Tomatoes scores with a film's quality and lasting cultural impact.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Wouldn't be a Fanny post without equating box office returns and Rotten Tomatoes scores with a film's quality and lasting cultural impact.
The two people I replied to were literally talking about Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, and Blair Witch reviving horror from a commercial perspective. Horror movies were commercially dead before them, and they weren't after they came out. It's not a commentary on the quality of any of them.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I only watched maybe a third of the second Zombie movie on streaming, so I can't comment on that one. I just got bored. But I think I do have to agree I enjoyed Zombie's first Halloween movie more than the 2018 movie, which I thought was barely more than a lateral move from H2O. As wrong a direction as Zombie's first movie may have been, he was at least trying to do something with it. The birth of a serial killer stuff in the first 30-40 minutes might have made a really interesting non-Halloween movie.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
What is this forum's position on Wes Anderson?

I generally enjoy them, some better than others.

French Dispatch kinda sucked though.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I like Rushmore and Tennenbaums a lot, Life Aquatic is easily my favorite. Bottle Rocket is okay, his newer movies almost seem like a parody of his own stuff. They're still enjoyable but it's Wes Anderson cranked to 11, which is a bit much. While I appreciate the technical aspects of Fantastic Mr. Fox and Isle of Dogs they didn't do much for me.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

Yeah I enjoy them but you're right in saying the French Dispatch kinda sucked because well it did. The whole time I couldn't connect with it, usually Wes films get you wrapped up in it but this was disjointed and confusing. Dunno I just didn't find it engrossing, similar to Isle of Dogs.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I like Rushmore and Tennenbaums a lot, Life Aquatic is easily my favorite. Bottle Rocket is okay, his newer movies almost seem like a parody of his own stuff. They're still enjoyable but it's Wes Anderson cranked to 11, which is a bit much. While I appreciate the technical aspects of Fantastic Mr. Fox and Isle of Dogs they didn't do much for me.

Pretty much this. I like a couple of them but they all started blending together after a while. None of the more recent movies are bad per se (at least the ones I've seen), but much like the Marvel movies, eventually a formula wears thin no matter how successful it is.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,

I liked his earlier stuff. But the more popular he got the more freedom he got to do his thing. Him doing his own thing seems more fitting to still photography than movies. Because it feels like he's more about the way things look than telling a story.

Honestly I gave up watching his new films a while ago (shame... I loved Rushmore). I watch movies to be entertained in some manner. I don't watch them to pretend I'm some high class art snob.