Polymega system claims to now run neo geo cd games with faster load times

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Hey, don't knock it just yet. These Polymega dudes are shooting Neo CD prices through the roof and I might cash out.

Maybe I should buy more AZOs before they figure out they can also burn CDs just like the real Neo Geo CD.

While I agree that this is a pig with some moderate-grade lipstick, it absolutely has a place. A really dumb purchase for a lot of us, but a really good purchase for many common folks.

As long as it actually works and they didn’t steal open source data. If Hyperkin and that other shit company can lie, so can these guys.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
but a really good purchase for many common folks.

Not a single one of any common folks want this.... let alone pay for it. It is only for people like us

...Looking forward the results, but after however long it's been, and the various back and forths, and basically that they weren't really equipped to fulfill the FPGA promise I am skeptical at best. BUT, if they manage to make the best emulation box product around I'd be happy to admit their successes.

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
I'll go as far as to say that most, if not all "common folks" don't even know about this nor care and I don't think they'll be so happy with hunting down old releases just to play on an emulation box, when emulators are so common nowadays, you can even get them on your phone. Also I'd say that releases like the ACA on the PS4, XBONE and Switch target them more. Anyway, imo an old 2000s PC can do the same exact job as this machine with something like Batocera on it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
This is neither for us nor for common people. It's for the people who discovered all these hidden gems on YouTube.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
This is neither for us nor for common people. It's for the people who discovered all these hidden gems on YouTube.

Never a truer word spoken.

People asking (or better yet, complaining) about the lack of flash cart support on these abortions should have their ears boxed.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I noticed this the other day, The price of NGCD games is defo on the rise atm.

Absolutely everything is on the rise. I keep a price list for insurance purposes of the shit I own, because my insurance makes me update it every six months. Just updated it during the pandemic and shit that was $25-30 last time is hovering around the $100 mark now. It’s just crazy how much it’s all gone up.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Bump. Polymega will be releasing a N64 module later this year: https://polymega.com/blogs/system-s...em05-ultra-element-module-reveals-n64-support

To reduce the amount of shit in my sitting room, I’m actually getting somewhat curious about these. Anyone got one? The faster NGCD loads, Sega Saturn compatibility, and the fact it’s plug and play into a HDMI tv without other boxes / converters like you need to do with original hardware is somewhat appealing.

I just wish it worked with everdrives or was more straightforward to hack, but it looks like there might be ways to side load cartridge games directly with IPS patches, and it doesn’t give a shit about you importing CD-R games to its internal hard drive.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Bump. Polymega will be releasing a N64 module later this year: https://polymega.com/blogs/system-s...em05-ultra-element-module-reveals-n64-support

To reduce the amount of shit in my sitting room, I’m actually getting somewhat curious about these. Anyone got one? The faster NGCD loads, Sega Saturn compatibility, and the fact it’s plug and play into a HDMI tv without other boxes / converters like you need to do with original hardware is somewhat appealing.

I just wish it worked with everdrives or was more straightforward to hack, but it looks like there might be ways to side load cartridge games directly with IPS patches, and it doesn’t give a shit about you importing CD-R games to its internal hard drive.
why would everdrives not work with it?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Because they are pricks?

I think it’s because when you stick a cartridge in the slot it downloads it locally to the drive in it’s entirety before playing it. And everdrives mess with that operation. It probably helps them appear not to be too ‘piracy’ friendly as well to Nintendo/Sega/others

After some digging online, it might also be the emulators they’ve licensed for use don’t support everdrives (because why would they?)

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I think it’s because when you stick a cartridge in the slot it downloads it locally to the drive in it’s entirety before playing it.
Bwahahahah so this is basically a pricier Retron 5? No shit everdrives mess with the operation, it's just a dumb cartridge dumper.

Imagine buying a box for shitty emulators that don't even have the pretense of replicating the hardware. Might as well buy an FPGA console that could probably be wired to a cartridge slot... or not bother with this nonsense at all.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Imagine buying a box for shitty emulators that don't even have the pretense of replicating the hardware. Might as well buy an FPGA console that could probably be wired to a cartridge slot... or not bother with this nonsense at all.
Maybe, but it also has… a cd drive.

Imagine that, a emulator device that can play CD games from the original disc! Revolutionary!

*covers PC with cardboard box*

I see this as a lazy way to get your old games running via HDMI in your living room. Assuming you don’t have a smelly man cave with a crt and half a dozen consoles plugged into it.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

It's just a fancy emulator box. Kinda like the Retron 5 from a few years back it rips the game data and compares it to a database to figure out how to run the game. It doesn't approximate hardware like a Mister or something that can just run any code.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I didnt even know this thing ever came out. Always assumed it was vaporware.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
I have been looking at this system on & off since it was announced. Again, I say on & off so I have not read all the info that has been released thus far. I was all when they said FPGA & NGCD compatible but then they dropped the FPGA for emulation & I found out that this thing is HDMI out only. I was hoping for premium analog (S-Vid, Component, VGA) outs & digital audio outs as well. Add to the fact that there is no DC support & now I am re-thinking this thing.

The generic design of the controllers were a let down as well. A quality NGCD pad homage with NGPC d-stick (with adjustable 4 to 8 way gate switch) would have been a system seller but no go.

Also, do the cart modules support their respective original controllers? If not then I am, at this point, having a hard time seeing what the appeal of this thing ends up being for the cost.

I am baffles at how the people running the show with projects like this can't come up with something batter. The so much of the work has been done for you. All you have to do is offer a solid evolution of what came before, not a revolution. Your working off of the prior work & offerings of others, that should eliminate much of the truly hard work outside of actual physical production.

To reduce the amount of shit in my sitting room, I’m actually getting somewhat curious about these. Anyone got one? The faster NGCD loads, Sega Saturn compatibility, and the fact it’s plug and play into a HDMI TV without other boxes / converters like you need to do with original hardware is somewhat appealing.

Yeah, but the fact that it's HDMI only also means that you have to buy another device to covert to analog video. Many of us are still CRT devotee's & with that tech having a renaissance of sorts it's angering at the analog out omission. Fuck, one of the primary draws of the Neo CD is the godly S-Video output & now you don't get that.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
These devices, their makers, and the people who preorder them often tend to follow the same trend. Many exciting ideas are presented, people get pumped, design commences, money is taken, delays set in, flaws are visible, etc etc and THEN people start to wonder, “Do I really want to this?”, “How is it better than a cheap Windows machine devoted to the purpose?” and “How did it get so expensive?” “Should I just flip this to some other shithead when and if it arrives?”

In the end I always end up using real shit or plugging a USB version of whatever I want to play into a basic ass-PC or Mac. If what I see and hear is good and what I’m touching is good…why do I care about all the other bullshit? This FPGA craze has not turned out to be worth it in the majority of cases, IMHO.

geladobom

War Room Troll
Run the game on emulator, press the button to forward the emulation. Polymega loses.