What KOF are you best at?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Most of us probably have all the KOF games multiple times. Some we like some we hate, some we only play because other people are playing them. Regardless of your overall fighting game potential, which KOF are you best at? That is, if someone challenged you to a match and you win the coin toss, what game do you pick?

For me it’s probably ‘98 (Ralf, Takuma, Shermie) but I can really frustrate people in 2002. I never got good at 2001. I can’t find anyone who even wants to play 2003 even though I quite like it.

poutine

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
95 and 99. I had 95 on Sega Saturn long before I had a AES. And when I was a little scrot teenager on this site first time round I managed to get a bare care 99 for about $80 shipped. Ah… that rain stage!

I’ve actually never played 96, 97, 2001 or 2002. Maybe one day.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Non, all.
Probably 2k3,, love that entry. Not fussed that the tag system was pulled but it was great fun whilst it lasted.
Ash, Kim, Ryo. I'm really bad but I still love kof

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
95 the 99. I had 95 on Sega Saturn long before I had a AES. And when I was a little scrot teenager on this site first time round I managed to get a bare care 99 for about $80 shipped. Ah… that rain stage!

I’ve actually never played 96, 97, 2001 or 2002. Maybe one day.

'95 on Saturn was a hell of a ride. A very good version. I have the MVS but I'll still play the SS version sometimes.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm fairly shit at all of them ie. have difficulty beating final boss on level 4 diff. But if I had to choose I'd go with '96

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
95, 98, and 2002. Fighting games (Fatal Fury and KOF specifically) are the reason I got into the Neo in the first place.

I had 95 on Playstation before I got my first AES (in 1998), and it was that game that bucked down my resolve to get a job and buy a Neo when I was 16. I played the hell out of 95 - still do. Oddly enough, my favorite way to play 95 is to put it in "Single All" mode on Hard and see how far I can make it with a single character.

98 is the first KOF I got brand new on AES and my best mate and I played hundreds of hours as teenagers. It's still my favorite fighting game ever, and I play it regularly. Terry, Mai, and Iori.

2002 is the only good thing to come out of the Playmore era. I played it quite a bit locally when it came out. While I don't revisit it too often, I can still wipe the floor with Athena, Kim, and K9999.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
I suppose 95 as I beat it on the Saturn back in the day. Now I am completely sh1t at all of them although I got to the final boss (I think) on KOF94, level-4 recently

poutine

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I suppose 95 as I beat it on the Saturn back in the day. Now I am completely sh1t at all of them although I got to the final boss (I think) on KOF94, level-4 recently

I’m the same tbh. I replayed KOF ‘94 on NGCD last year and sucked donkey balls. It would take hours of practice to get back to where I was 15 years ago, not sure if I care enough as there’s too many other games to play.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Just takes practice. Like, I was always sh1t at shooters, rented Empire of Steel one time for the Megadrive and couldn't get past stage one as a kid. After playing loads of shooters on the Neo in my 30's I revisited Empire of Steel and was freaking unstoppable at it. One time came third in a Blazing Star high score competition!

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
'97 ditched the stiff controls and overcorrected to specials that would come out by accident just by jiggling the joystick. '98 and much of the rest of the series somewhat inherited the forgiving controls to various degrees. I suppose I'm best at '97 for this reason, since I'm better at chaining with the easy specials than with the less forgiving stiff controls, and I got a lot of practice on '97's simpler mechanics back in the day.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
When I’m not playing Fatal Fury, I play an obsessive amount of kof 95 - 2000 if that counts lol

If I had to pick just one on the neo I’d say 2000…otherwise kof 2002um Tougeki version is my overall preference.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I've beaten every KOF game I've ever played/owned, but, I wouldn't consider myself best at any of them. Likewise, I usually won 90%+ of 2P fights in KOF games with siblings/friends, but they generally weren't very good at fighting games to begin with, so, that really doesn't mean anything. Serious KOF players would likely best me easily.

halk3n

n00b
95, 98, and 2002. Fighting games (Fatal Fury and KOF specifically) are the reason I got into the Neo in the first place.

I had 95 on Playstation before I got my first AES (in 1998), and it was that game that bucked down my resolve to get a job and buy a Neo when I was 16. I played the hell out of 95 - still do. Oddly enough, my favorite way to play 95 is to put it in "Single All" mode on Hard and see how far I can make it with a single character.

98 is the first KOF I got brand new on AES and my best mate and I played hundreds of hours as teenagers. It's still my favorite fighting game ever, and I play it regularly. Terry, Mai, and Iori.

2002 is the only good thing to come out of the Playmore era. I played it quite a bit locally when it came out. While I don't revisit it too often, I can still wipe the floor with Athena, Kim, and K9999.

Nice!

'95 for Team Ninja -: Andy, Mai, Eiji
'98 for Team Commando I -: Heidern, Ralf, Leona
'02 for Team Commando II -: Whip, Leona, Clark

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Either 2002 or 2002 um. I'm mostly playing UM when I play KOF. I ended up just picking up the Y2 board.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
'97 definitely.

Spent a lot of time with '96 as well, but I get frustrated with trying to defeat Igniz... seems more luck than skill for me.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'd have to say 95, 98, and 2000 in that order.

sirlynxalot

Raiden's Valet
Fagit of the Year
96 and 2002.

96 was the first one I ever played and I played it a lot. I'm very used to its idiosyncrasies and things that got changed in later KOFs like having a shorter/quicker roll. In addition, it has Geese, who I'm relatively good with.

2002 was nice and fluid. I like the character selection more than 99-2001. Having the characters I want to play as would help me play better, I also like not having to bother with striker characters.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I’m glad so many people are playing 2002. 2000 and 2002 don’t get talked about enough, IMO. There are great characters in these games.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Id say 96, or 97.

Im not *good at either of them by any stretch of the imagination. 97 had some auto combos, if I remember correctly? I remember doing some with Ryo, Robert and Andy? Something like jump in with a heavy kick and do... something... and then you get like 3 extra hits, and you can end with a special.

Good stuff.