The Future is Now

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
We are at the dawn of a new age, the age of Cyberball 2022 and human players have been eliminated. What are some other pop culture days of future pasts that have not come to be?
85A24E47-3E6C-4E1E-AB5B-41D74E411243.jpeg
When I was young I remember in the Buck Rogers intro in 1987 America launched it last space probe before everything went to hell, kind of scared me about the upcoming future when I was 5 years old.

We also have already reached the time of futuristic Outrun cars.

8BD8841D-149F-460D-8CE3-5D59ACE69B2B.jpeg

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I somehow lost (!?) my copy of Super Baseball 2020, one of my favorite games. I mentioned this to someone and they asked, “They still make games for that thing?”

…because it was in the year 2020 when I mentioned this. He thought it was like Madden 2020 or whatever, that it was the latest in a series of dozens, rather than a game that takes place in the future. That would be one *highly* evolved game at this point. :) There are only 10 KOF games, imagine a baseball series with thirty installments at $200+ moving towards now when it would be probably $550 a year to keep up.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The saddest part is referring to the neo-geo as "that thing".

No date on the title but Rollerball was supposed to be in 2018... not a cerebral movie by any means but ever since I watched it (and it wasn't too long ago!) I've been fascinated by the setting of the movie. Not having the ""sport"" I can accept, but at least we should've had a cool videogame with that premise by now :(

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
No date on the title but Rollerball was supposed to be in 2018... not a cerebral movie by any means but ever since I watched it (and it wasn't too long ago!)
Rollerball is a great movie, I may have to bust my bluray out and watch it. We did get the 90s cheese of Rollergames at least on NES (the pinball is pretty good actually).

Evidently the Running Man takes place between 2017 and 2019

I read the book back in 6th grade (Steven Kings Bachman Books) and actually reread the Running Man a couple of years ago because I got just that book for like a dollar somewhere and I was down the shore. It’s quite different from the movie, it’s not even that related. Also about the Bachman Books I thought the Long Walk would make a great dystopian future movie

Seems like it’s in development hell production wise.

There’s also a story Rage within the Bachman books that’s out of print because it deals with a school shooting.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
One of my favorites in this category is the anime series Patlabor. It was made in the 80s and set so near in the future that the franchise easily lived past the era of the show. It didn’t hurt it at all, still a great show.

I’m interested to see Space Brothers eventually do the same thing.

Last edited: