Anyone still playing Warhammer 40K these days? (tabletop game)

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I would rather see that across the table than yet another unpainted partially assembled figure.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
20211109_175728.jpg
I think it's fine now, maybe changing a few minor details later. I'm just glad that I don't have to see that ketchup base anymore.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I can see why ebay rescues are popular on youtube. seems like a fun way to bring new life to minis.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I can see why ebay rescues are popular on youtube. seems like a fun way to bring new life to minis.
Yeah, it's always a great feeling to be able to revive something completely fubar on arrival. Also a good way to get old/oop stuff that's usually ridiculously priced/recasted for a reasonable price.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I bought a couple McFarlane Toys Warhammer 40K action figures, when they were on sale, does that count?FB_IMG_16368136961412150.jpg

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
did you paint that one or is the official paintjob really that shitty?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Yeah, it's always a great feeling to be able to revive something completely fubar on arrival. Also a good way to get old/oop stuff that's usually ridiculously priced/recasted for a reasonable price.
I got seven plague marines for 14€ and ten poxwalkers plus another plague marine for 12€ a while ago, I thought they were pretty good deals. Had to repaint two of marines though.

It's a good way to build your army without having to pay GW prices everytime.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I had the same question. If that’s legit it’s absolutely terrible.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
there is a range from Macfarland. That is one of the cheaper ones.

@M

20 Year Member
did you paint that one or is the official paintjob really that shitty?
That's factory paint. Actually very little paint, mostly just the plastic it's molded from. They released pure gray "artist proof" versions too, for people who like to paint. It could definitely use a wash and some dry brushing, but, I still like it. I bought the Battle Sister too, who, predictably, given that it's McFarlane, has a Spawn paint deco, but, I haven't opened her yet.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
there is a range from Macfarland. That is one of the cheaper ones.

Am I misremembering but in the late 90s/early 00’s wasnt the quality of even the Spawn toys you could get at Walmart/Target/Etc was way higher?

The Bandai (I think) 40K figures released recently were awesome but too expensive for me for a toy that would sit on a shelf.

@M

20 Year Member
McFarlane's toy quality has taken a bit of a dip, especially the paint, but, he's also making action figures again, not just barely articulated statues, which is good. His DC figures are pretty nice. This is his Gorilla Grodd I also opened recently--the sculpt and articulation are impressive, but, again, little paintwork. He used to go pretty heavy on washes and dry brushing in the past, but, not so much anymore--probably just the realities of costs these days. NECA pretty much surpassed and replaced McFarlane in my opinion, and has for years.
FB_IMG_16370890362135640.jpg

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Am I misremembering but in the late 90s/early 00’s wasnt the quality of even the Spawn toys you could get at Walmart/Target/Etc was way higher?

The Bandai (I think) 40K figures released recently were awesome but too expensive for me for a toy that would sit on a shelf.

The sculpts are good, but macfarland doesnt do anything special for the paint. it's single tone paint and decals. They are great if you want to paint them yourself, but they are not statue quality. The new necron and ork would be interesting to paint up, but I'm not really into the Statues and Dolls. I'll keep to the toy soldier scale.

Alternatively, you can get the Bandai Space Marine, but you are paying 10x much for a little airbrushing.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
painted one of those a while ago, went with dark metallic green with silver highlights, pretty nice to pain something resonably sized for once.

getting the bolter into the hand was a bitch though

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
IMG-20211201-WA0000.jpg
This year's "christmas box" for the stinky lads, but when are they actually going to release it? Any ideas? Saw it listed on the japanese version of the GW store but not the german one.

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
The cross over you never knew you wanted...

yD8QnXW.png

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Man I hated Blitzball, such a chore playing through the leagues to get the Celestial weapon fully powered up.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
bond_warhammer.jpg

On topic, haven't painted anything in a while, Christmas preparations take precedence over modeling.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m excited that we’re seeing what could be a more mainstream 40K game on console.

Tons of stuff has flown in under the radar but I don’t know if anything is stand out.

I’d love a 40K RPG where you play as a Rogue Trader.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I just wish they would redo fantasy again. I loved the big armies
This was supposedly back on their development calender, but I suspect it's been pushed way back as AoS gains momentum. Fantasy will be around, but not rank-and-file wargame.