Is Samurai Showdown II the best in the series?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
SF Zero's backrounds are barren but it gives the setting a more subtle feel in line with the time frame which is being recreated, before SF2 shennanigans and fireworks. I think they're pretty beautiful, very little in common with 2k1.
Everything you say about 94 is just woosh to me, but I've adressed this already, not worth arguing about

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Epitome of the Neo? SS2, KOF98, MOTW, MS2/X... Neo Turfmasters.

What am I missing? Puzzle Bobble and Windjammers or something?
MOTW? maybe graphically. Gameplay wise it’s pretty stale compared to the previous Fatal Fury offerings.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
MOTW? maybe graphically. Gameplay wise it’s pretty stale compared to the previous Fatal Fury offerings.
I REALLY like RBS and RB2 but no.

If by stale you mean not as quick as RB2 then yeah sure.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I REALLY like RBS and RB2 but no.

If by stale you mean not as quick as RB2 then yeah sure.
Besides the complete change to mechanics, MOTW doesn’t even have the entire Fatal Fury cast. its as much Fatal Fury as Rage of the Dragons is Double Dragon.

Its not a bad game, it just doesn’t compare to the titles that came before it.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I never really played MOTW tbh. If it's not better than previous titles, what appeals to people about it? I am going to assume its the style and the "aftermath sequel" fad that was around in the late 90s and early 00s

Possibly in "OoT vs MM" type territory here with my question but oh well

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Excellent job of laying out your case.
giphy.gif

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Besides the complete change to mechanics, MOTW doesn’t even have the entire Fatal Fury cast. its as much Fatal Fury as Rage of the Dragons is Double Dragon.

They needed a fresh start/reboot and that's exactly what they did. I could do without half the cast of the older FF games anyways so them bringing in new characters and keeping the roster small is fine. I think they kind of reached the limit of what they could do with the RB series. After making Last Blade it was the right thing to do, apply that to a more traditional fighter and move away from the cartoonish style and a more serious tone overall.

I honestly consider it something almost wholly separate to the other FF games.

I never really played MOTW tbh. If it's not better than previous titles, what appeals to people about it?
It's like comparing Last Blade to Sam Sho, it's so different from the rest of FF. It's an amazingly polished game and it plays so smooth it's hard to explain you need to play it at some point.

Last edited:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Thing is when I read your last response I got the sense that we where navigating different seas, you purposefully or unintentionally missinterpret what I write in order to state your opinion, I think it's a waste of both our times.

How did I misrepresent you? And why didn’t you say that instead of making a post with zero content? I wrote up a big thing and you simply said “no” and did that thing people do where they decide to remind others that opinions are legal. There’s nothing in that post. This stupid post I’m making now even has more content.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

I guess what’s wrong with me is that I’m bad at communication via one word responses, meme, emoji, etc. To me “no”, just one word, isn’t worth typing in itself. Neither is “fag” or a happy face. Forgive me for saying so but that shit is as lazy as it is stupid. This forum has relied on that shit for so long it’s forgotten how to truly argue and it goes on to attract noobs who are already like that. KidCameAllOverHimself is not an invader, he’s concentrated imbecilic runoff from this place made into a user.

I’m sure all the well reasoned responses to this post will prove me wrong though, right?

Last edited:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
SF Zero's backrounds are barren but it gives the setting a more subtle feel in line with the time frame which is being recreated, before SF2 shennanigans and fireworks. I think they're pretty beautiful, very little in common with 2k1.
Everything you say about 94 is just woosh to me, but I've adressed this already, not worth arguing about

This is a good point about SFZ1. I now realize that I noticed this when the game was new…but then forgot about it over the years…

However there aren’t even as many stages as there are fights in SFZ. This to me didn’t seem like a style choice at all but rather Capcom just being spread very thin after doing an amazing job of building Street Fighter all over again with zero existing assets, and that’s the same reason why the BGs suck in 2001. There was simply too much to do when making that many new things in a game. All new combo system, all new endings, five (I think?) new characters, company going out of business in the middle of it…98 is the most popular KOF overall and it had almost nothing new made for it. It’s nothing but a refined 97 with the Sports team added back in and everyone loves it…because SNK placed an emphasis on making it play well while letting you decide how to play it.

In either case, KOF and SFZ, I like the second game a lot more and for the same reason; new stuff usually needs refinement.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

I wouldn’t say stale at all but it is “streamlined”, which is a term I use to secretly slam Capcom fans who insist on more simplistic fighting than SNK usually offers. :) “Dumbed down” may be accurate.

MotW is a terrific game but it’s barely Fatal Fury. The series changed a lot from 1 to RB2 but it was clearly Fatal Fury in all those games. MotW is it’s own thing for sure.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

It’s also loaded with CG explosions like Rage of the Dragons. Both are products of their time I guess…it’s a good comparison.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This is a good point about SFZ1. I now realize that I noticed this when the game was new…but then forgot about it over the years…

However there aren’t even as many stages as there are fights in SFZ. This to me didn’t seem like a style choice at all but rather Capcom just being spread very thin after doing an amazing job of building Street Fighter all over again with zero existing assets, and that’s the same reason why the BGs suck in 2001. There was simply too much to do when making that many new things in a game. All new combo system, all new endings, five (I think?) new characters, company going out of business in the middle of it…98 is the most popular KOF overall and it had almost nothing new made for it. It’s nothing but a refined 97 with the Sports team added back in and everyone loves it…because SNK placed an emphasis on making it play well while letting you decide how to play it.

In either case, KOF and SFZ, I like the second game a lot more and for the same reason; new stuff usually needs refinement.
Man what the fuck are you even on about? Fuckin weirdo.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Jesus fucking christ. I get it now. Now I know who you remind me of. You're Deuce.

And you’re a robot that makes posts exactly that one over and over again. You never actually take on any point I make, nothing but dismissals and insults in as few words as possible. No imagination or point to any of it, please fuck off.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I guess what’s wrong with me is that I’m bad at communication via one word responses, meme, emoji, etc. To me “no”, just one word, isn’t worth typing in itself. Neither is “fag” or a happy face. Forgive me for saying so but that shit is as lazy as it is stupid. This forum has relied on that shit for so long it’s forgotten how to truly argue and it goes on to attract noobs who are already like that. KidCameAllOverHimself is not an invader, he’s concentrated imbecilic runoff from this place made into a user.

I’m sure all the well reasoned responses to this post will prove me wrong though, right?
kill yourself faggot

also make sure to tell your friends to not take bong hits of fentanyl. it could kill them!

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
He forgot the part where he clicks "Show ignored content" every single time

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
It's a peculiar thing to spectate three individuals whom you've each met IRL all steadfastly arguing on this page of the thread.