Gaiares is better than any Thunder Force

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Battle Squadron is another good underrated shmup on the MD IMO.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
So I just picked this up along with Spiderman at the used game store the next city over. I played it up to the 3rd stage. Damn, this game can zap you out any given moment. Those Satellites took me out several times get past when you come down from the sky (I was too occupied trying to steal their weapons).

I like the weapon system and the music on this game. The bosses are awesome as well, with not to hard of patterns so far it seems. I still like Thunder Force IV better, but it is a damn good game.

BTW, Spiderman on the Genesis isn't as good as I remembered it when playing it in 1990 at a friends house. I also picked up some NES carts there, Faxandu, XEXYZ, Strider and Duck Tales. All 6 of these games ran me up $25.

The store is going out of business the end of this year it seems and is doing a buy 1 get 1 free up to $50 value. This a damn good deal even if some of their games are higher than they should be. After this there will be no classic game stores in the state of Mississippi pretty much. This fucking sucks.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I can't figure out where to position my ship in TF IV sand level to not die. That being said i gave it about 5 minutes of my attention and then went and played rock and roll racing hacked with 140 tracks.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Ha, nice bump. I'm normally not one for these limited edition reprints, but that put a smile on my face.

I was 21 when I made this thread. At least one person who has posted in it has already died since then. I never managed to beat Gaiares, I think. Still a great game.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Where's the user with the Gay'R'Us promo shirt guy avatar when we need him?

CyBbg99UkAA31gl

@Johnny16Bit we need your expert opinion here.

Gaiares is cool.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Ha, nice bump. I'm normally not one for these limited edition reprints, but that put a smile on my face.

I was 21 when I made this thread. At least one person who has posted in it has already died since then. I never managed to beat Gaiares, I think. Still a great game.

Ya know, I haven't beat it ether and I've owned it for years. I always go back to Thunder Force, haha. It is a great game, though. Hard as fuck. Glad it's getting a re-release. I supposed Columbus Circle saw some success with Gleylancer and Retro-bit wants to cash in on retro-fueled nostalgia shmups?

I ordered their Mega Man Wily Wars collectors edition (I usually hate these style releases, but I'm a fucking sucker for Mega Man) and that still hasn't been released - pre-ordered that back in July I think? Probably be some time before Gaiares is released even after pre-orders open.

Johnny16Bit

Galford's Armourer
@Johnny16Bit we need your expert opinion here.

Gaiares is cool.

Why, Gaiares is #1!!! :buttrock:

Well actually I think it's way overrated, I just like the image of a mulet cut teenage Pr0G4M3|2 :)
That reedition is certainly a cool blast from the past though. Won't be buying as I already have the original

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Well, maybe not IV.
IV still makes me wonder how the hell Tecnosoft managed to pull that off with the Genny's hardware.
But then again, maybe I do think it's better than IV.

Gaiares is lovely, the first 8-meg shooter on any platform, and it's brutal. This is something Thunder Force doesn't have, a simple sense of unforgiving brutality to it. The first two levels are fine introductory courses to the game, but by the third things heat up.

And I guess the reason I'm comparing this to TF is because they feel similar; both have manual speeds, and aesthetically look somewhat similar (aside from Gaiares's screen-filling humanoid bosses). It's a real shame people go on about TFIII and IV when talking about the console's greatest shooters (or games, even), but hardly anyone talks about this gem.

The TOZ system, where you can steal enemies weapons, is another thing no other shooter has done since then. It plays a crucial part in the game, because if you snatch the 'wrong' weapon, you'll have quite a time beating parts of the level with the 'right' weapon designed in mind.
Like, for instance, the fight with the fucking GRIM REAPER in level 3 -- if you don't have the missile weapon to shoot from behind, it's a bitch to take him down.

And guess what I just found out? The developer wasn't Wolf Team, but Telenet itself, yeah, the Valis guys. Sure makes me wish they stuck with this genre, because no matter how charming the Valis games were, in the end they were just an excuse for the cutscenes.

Anyway this is my ode to Gaiares.
Let us all sing the praises of ZZ Badnusty.

go fuck yourself