Deer, oh dear

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Are you into deer hunting? It's like a national holiday where I live. Bow hunting is on right now in Michigan, but, firearm season doesn't start until Nov. 15th. I'd kill and eat one if I was starving, but, otherwise, I have no interest in murdering Bambi. I watched a deer foraging this morning, about 1-2 AM, across the street from my kitchen window; it was magical.FB_IMG_16351375769535466.jpg

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Oh yeah, hunting. I totally forgot about that shit when I moved to Ann Arbor like 12 years ago.

Most of my memories of venison are of people trying and failing to give it away…which may be the ultimate alpha failure.

“Here, I have provided for us all!”

“Yeah…we’re going to have leftover Little Cesar’s instead, maybe next time.”

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Used to have to work the Saturday before the first day of gun season so we could get it off (Tuesday). Now, NY has moved the opening of gun season to the weekend. Bow season starts 6 weeks earlier. Muzzle-loader season somewhere in-between.

Looks like they also added a "Youth Weekend".

deer2021rev.jpg

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
Oh yeah, here in Florida we've got tons of big game hunting. Even though i eat meat, i could never have the heart to actually kill one of these animals. I leave that to people who work meat plants.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Killing deer is fine. They’re overpopulated in the Midwest and dumb. We killed all their natural predators.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Then why don’t they sell it anywhere?

I’ve seen venison for sale plenty of times.

I wish it was easier to find lamb/mutton and goat in America.

All delicious, why do t they sell it anywhere?

Alligator is delicious. Why don’t they sell it anywhere?

🙄

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

🙄
Lamb is no problem but goat and alligator/crocodile is harder to find here. Crocodile is fucking good!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The real answer to the question is the meat available in most stores comes from domesticated animals or other animals that can be farmed.

No one is domesticating deer.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

🙄

I’ve seen it for sale too, usually at family restaurants in BFE where presumably the alpha who owns the place likes to hunt. Broadly it’s not something people want. It’s not in the frozen isle at Meijer, it’s not a pizza topping at any pizza place, people don’t eat it on Christmas…people who don’t hunt probably never eat it. Eating venison is a vote for hunting, or an advertisement, or an excuse. It’s like Harley Davidson bikes and the associated leather wear, you either do both or neither. Nobody can do one and get away with it.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My grandfather used to jack deer 12 months a year. Sometimes he would sell it to restaurants on the sly for special dinners and stuff.

I've also seen it on the menu at Chinese restaurants.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Captive deer is ecologically problematic.
On this... Deer need more space than most captive farms can provide. Diseases such as Chronic Wasting Disease and Bovine Tuberculosis spread though captive populations. Then they often spread into wild populations.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Nah, Norton is speaking truth in this thread.

Deer is good to eat.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Y’all don’t shop at local meat market/butchers/meat processors?

Excellent way to get some good sausage.

It’s up to you to determine if my previous sentence is innuendo or not.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Y’all don’t shop at local meat market/butchers/meat processors?

Excellent way to get some good sausage.

It’s up to you to determine if my previous sentence is innuendo or not.

People who own guns, who come from that whole scene, who had parents who owned guns, kids who own guns, need some kind of fictional narrative to justify their stupid multigenerational circle jerk violence fantasy. There is no practical reason to be a gun nut unless you love violence and only "bad guys" love violence, nobody wants to be evil...so to justify the guns you have in your cabinet a story needs to be cooked up, deer is the main ingredient. This story was subconscious and slow to cook, it became more popular as violence against humans became less popular. You can hardly kill anyone legally anymore, but you can always kill deer, thank the gun gods.

Spending $2000 and a weekend to get meat nobody actually wants to eat helps fuel the narrative. That's what you're doing here. You're propping up the framework of obsolete macho bullshit. You like the taste of deer because your ideology is based on a manufactured "need" for guns and violence. All of it is fake as fuck.

You contributing to this thread is more of you buying into an ideology that already owns you. I do believe in situations like that it actually tastes better...but only if you buy into the whole bullshit story. For people who aren't politically motivated to like deer...they don’t eat it. They don't even remember it exists except in times like this.

Last edited: