Star Trek Lower Decks: Anyone watching?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I went into this not expecting much but god damn does this show exceed expectations. Just watched episode 10 and I never seen a ship die so brutally.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I watched all 10 episodes and most of them were “meh” for me. A good joke here and there but the show literally drowns in fan service to other, better shows. Every scene has to have three references to other Treks and the characters are all stereotypes. The CG space ship scenes are all quite good though. The episode where Meriweather got promoted was the only standout episode IMHO. Really wish they’d hand Trek over to someone besides Alex Kurtzman at this point. Not a bad show, but not a standout either.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I watched all 10 episodes and most of them were “meh” for me. A good joke here and there but the show literally drowns in fan service to other, better shows. Every scene has to have three references to other Treks and the characters are all stereotypes. The CG space ship scenes are all quite good though. The episode where Meriweather got promoted was the only standout episode IMHO. Really wish they’d hand Trek over to someone besides Alex Kurtzman at this point. Not a bad show, but not a standout either.

You didn't enjoy the Troi and Riker to the rescue cameo

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
First time I've heard of it, Rick and Morty head writer is involved so I'll check it out. I'm not a Trek fan though.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Nope, thought the rescue cameo was cheesy and the stereotypical “last second save completely unprompted and out of nowhere.”

The Cerritos’s communications were jammed, how could the Titan know they were in trouble? Why was one Pakled ship able to easily pick apart two Starfleet vessels (one of them brand new no less) while three of them couldn’t hold up against the Titan for even 30 seconds? I dunno - I guess I can’t turn my analytical processor off when watching any Star Trek show - I have similar issues with the plot twists in Discovery and Picard as well.

Kudos to the writers though for killing off a senior officer and promoting Boimler off the ship instead of going the safe route of ending the season with everything the same as when the episode started.

I think there is potential for a *great* animated Star Trek show if it was handled properly, but Lower Decks just doesn’t do it for me.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Nope, thought the rescue cameo was cheesy and the stereotypical “last second save completely unprompted and out of nowhere.”

The Cerritos’s communications were jammed, how could the Titan know they were in trouble? Why was one Pakled ship able to easily pick apart two Starfleet vessels (one of them brand new no less) while three of them couldn’t hold up against the Titan for even 30 seconds? I dunno - I guess I can’t turn my analytical processor off when watching any Star Trek show - I have similar issues with the plot twists in Discovery and Picard as well.

Kudos to the writers though for killing off a senior officer and promoting Boimler off the ship instead of going the safe route of ending the season with everything the same as when the episode started.

I think there is potential for a *great* animated Star Trek show if it was handled properly, but Lower Decks just doesn’t do it for me.

The California class such as the Cerritos and Solvang is not a heavy hitter, the class is comparable to a Miranda or Nova in fire power while the Titan was obviously built for combat and is like a upgraded Akira.

The Pakled were using stolen technology from multiple species incorporated into their frankenstein ships.

The Titan most likely was responding to the distress call from the Solvang same as the Cerritos did.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Havent seen the season finale but so far it's been great. It's funny and actually honors the Trek canon, with lots of in-universe references. The Ep where Q showed up was fantastic. "Oh Picard is so boring. He's always sitting around drinking tea, or making wine.."

I still think the Orville is the best Star Trek show after TNG, but Lower Decks is pretty rad. Apparently there's another show coming out called Star Trek Prodigy? On Nickelodeon I think?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I went into this not expecting much but god damn does this show exceed expectations. Just watched episode 10 and I never seen a ship die so brutally.

Cool. That sounds like a pretty big spoiler in one statement.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Heard a piece on NPR about how "funny" and woke it is. If those tight-asses love it, it's not for me.

Besides, Rick and Morty is shit.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I absolutely hated it initially. I hated how disrespectful the characters were especially to their superiors, and how none of what they did would fly on the Enterprise, and I felt like it was Trek and Morty as well. All they did was talk over each other especially the main character she is annoying as F. But I started to enjoy it for what it was because it was a lot less bleak than Picard or Discovery, and I liked that it was episodic. I got rid of CBS all access about four episodes in, I may get it again to finish the series.

Orville is still better than any Kurtzman Trek.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Heard a piece on NPR about how "funny" and woke it is. If those tight-asses love it, it's not for me.

Besides, Rick and Morty is shit.

Woke?

They had a female captain damn near piss her panties panicking until she gets knocked the fuck out to close her mouth, said captain ship is later destroyed why she did nothing to help the situation

In the season finale they give the same female captain another brand new ship which she ends up getting destroyed and the entire crew killed.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Woke?

They had a female captain damn near piss her panties panicking until she gets knocked the fuck out to close her mouth, said captain ship is later destroyed why she did nothing to help the situation

In the season finale they give the same female captain another brand new ship which she ends up getting destroyed and the entire crew killed.

Just saying that the SJWs on NPR love it and devoted a piece to it. If they like the same show as you do, ain't no shame in that, aye?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Depends, Star Trek has always been promoted equality. But it made it just a constant of the series.

It never felt pandering. It felt like that’s just how the world worked.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
same kind of shit humor, don't try to deny it.

That is 100% incorrect, the humor, writing style, premise, art... everything. Nothing like R&M. Maybe you should watch it instead of drawing conclusions from... your butthole?

Anyway, back OT:

Watched the season finale tonight, it was entertaining. Loved how Riker shows up just like in Picard, and I like the Enterprise series finale reference, and even references Riker and Deana's being married. As jokey as this show is, I gotta hand it to the writers, they're keeping it right in there with the continuity. Looking forward to the next season. Discovery Season 3 starts next Friday, I think. I dunno if I wanna watch it. On one hand I really like Doug Jones' Saru character, but the rest of the show is just... bleh.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Anyone still watching this. So once again the crew of the Cerritos needed a last second rescue, this time by the Vulcans.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Definitely still watching. Great show. The fact that they keep getting motherfucking RICH FULCHER to voice the Pakleds is 100% genius.

Also love that they actually have a Tamarian crewmember now. Love the deep cuts. They even had Jeffrey Combs do a guest spot as a maniacal computer, which was also awesome.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I'm still struggling along with it, although I stopped for a few weeks after the episode where Boimler and Mariner RSVP'd to a fancy Starfleet party, didn't know where it was (even though they had Bradward's invitation), outran the police and trashed an outdoor mall with zero consequences, and finally located the party at the only place in the area where those kinds of parties are held - and Mariner should have known that since she used to live there. And of course the bar where they got drinks instead had Kirk + Spock carved into the countertop - and nobody else since. :unsure:

It was just too much dumb for me on that particular episode-I had to check out for a few weeks. I caught up a bit earlier this week though, and the maniacal computer episode was definitely the highlight of the season so far for me.