Cowboy Bebop Netflix

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There is no way this isnt a hot piece of garbage....
The only casting that works is the dog...

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
That opening feels like a trite attempt at merely replicating what worked for the anime, rather than adapting it.

Given Netflix's P.C.-fueled pandering in recent years, I'm surprised Faye V. isn't being portrayed by a disabled, black, ADHD-diagnosed, FtM transgender actor.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Spike carries an Israeli pistol, has a very Jewish name, and has a Jew fro. Watanabe didn't explicitly say Spike was Jewish but when asked directly, replied, "Sure, why not?"

I realize that Jet is white in the anime but he listens to jazz and blues and he was voiced by a black guy in the US dub, which is what I saw first, and I always pictured him as black because of it.
well in the original japanese version, jet was voiced by a japanese man. so i always pictured him as a small asian man. it seems you and i are at an impasse.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I'm still stuck on the part where he "pictures" Jet as black, despite him being fully hand animated for 26 episodes + a movie in the form of a non-black guy

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I'm still stuck on the part where he "pictures" Jet as black, despite him being fully hand animated for 26 episodes + a movie in the form of a non-black guy
Light skinned black people exist and it's not always clear with animated characters.

A lot of people who watched the English dub first thought Jet was black. Even media outlets:

I heard the character's voice and heard what kinds of music he liked and thought he was supposed to be a light skinned black dude. I found out I was wrong later but that was my perception. Unlike Faye they don't show his origins, and unlike Spike his name doesn't necessarily give away a possible origin.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Light skinned black people exist and it's not always clear with animated characters.

A lot of people who watched the English dub first thought Jet was black. Even media outlets:

I heard the character's voice and heard what kinds of music he liked and thought he was supposed to be a light skinned black dude. I found out I was wrong later but that was my perception. Unlike Faye they don't show his origins, and unlike Spike his name doesn't necessarily give away a possible origin.
URLs to external sites can't save you here. Keep talking, it's funny

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
90% of guys I know that listen to jazz are middle aged white guys with fancy stereos.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

*My GregN sense is tingling*

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Don't worry guys. Now that I know what it takes to be black, I think i can become black by the end of the week if I listen to enough Miles Davis and then, afterwards, trick a retarded piece of shit shameful white journalist into writing a Vice article about me as a black transwoman rather than a white transwoman.

Thanks for the sociology lesson, fanny!

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the sociology lesson, fanny!
Introducing Dr. Sylvia Dolezal, PhD, visiting lecturer & renowned media commentator from the Urban Studies program at UPenn's College of Arts & Sciences.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm done with Hollywood/Netflix creative bankrupcy where old IPs are remade with a live action coat of paint, as if that somehow makes it better/serious/adult. None of the original people are involved beyond the composer, and the trailer suggests it's going to rehash episodes and scenes shot-for-shot while doing it worse, so why should I care?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Spike carries an Israeli pistol, has a very Jewish name, and has a Jew fro. Watanabe didn't explicitly say Spike was Jewish but when asked directly, replied, "Sure, why not?"

I realize that Jet is white in the anime but he listens to jazz and blues and he was voiced by a black guy in the US dub, which is what I saw first, and I always pictured him as black because of it.
My nephew listens to Jazz and Blues and he's white. A lot of white people like Jazz and Blues.

Like...what are you implying here?

This conversation is weird.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I think in Fammy's brain he's trying to be anti-racist by "not seeing color"