Anyone still drive stick?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Or they don’t like driving or get meaning in their life elsewhere lol.

ffs.
I don't get that argument because if you don't like driving, at least make it an active experience. My second car was automatic and it was miserable. I caught myself starting to zone out almost immediately during commutes, which is not ideal when you are basically in charge of aiming a 1.5 ton missile that can kill dozens in an instant. Went back to manual with my third car and was a billion times happier. Even being stuck in stop and go traffic for an hour and a half, at least you feel like you're doing something as opposed to the excruciating passive waiting that being in an automatic in the same circumstance is.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I don’t buy that. Last thing I want to do after work is…more work.

Some people are just lazy.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I don’t buy that. Last thing I want to do after work is…more work.

Some people are just lazy.
I never looked at it as work. It's play. Like, would you rather play a video game or watch a video game? That's the difference between driving stick and automatic. In an automatic, you're sitting in traffic. With manual, you're engaged in an activity. Time goes by faster if you're doing something.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I haven't had a manual since the 90s; however, my current car has those paddle shifters so you can shift manually if you want. It's not the same, but you can out-shift the automatic trans if you're trying to accelerate quickly, like getting up to speed on a tight onramp or whatever. It can come in handy.

A lot of the automatics with manual modes on newer cars really aren't all that bad. My wife drives a CUV and I really wouldn't want that car to be a manual for various reasons, but I can still throw it in manual mode and get some life out of that little happy revving 4 cylinder while auto mode usually shifts at 3k unless you floor it.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i have a hard time seeing myself ever going from a manual motorcycle to an automatic. yes, they do make automatic motorcycles. I am on the bike primarily as a driving experience.

likewise, going from an automatic car back to a manual is work. especially living in the city. i'm driving for a purpose most of the time and not just cruising.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I would rather take a transporter home.
Then you'd be dead. This is the biggest, unaddressable hole in Star Trek. Transporters were created by the writers as a production cost and time saving measure, but without thinking through the ramifications of what it meant. And what it meant is that every time they used it, the transporter was creating a new copy of the person, and the previous copy of the person we'd been watching up to that point in the episode was now dead.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Then you'd be dead. This is the biggest, unaddressable hole in Star Trek. Transporters were created by the writers as a production cost and time saving measure, but without thinking through the ramifications of what it meant. And what it meant is that every time they used it, the transporter was creating a new copy of the person, and the previous copy of the person we'd been watching up to that point in the episode was now dead.

We got a bit of a look at it with Lt. Riker in TNG. I assumed the copy of a person was made from their own matter, but it seems a philosophical debate at this point as to if it’s the same person or not.

Regarding driving: after work I want to go home, I don’t want to drive period.

I’d rather play a video game than watch one but sometimes I don’t want to play a video game or even watch one.

I have had fun driving and I’m sure a manual makes the experience better especially if you’re on some nice windy, engaging roads.

I’m just not a car guy as a matter of practicality. But some of these electrics that just have Bonkers power off the line look fun.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I never looked at it as work. It's play. Like, would you rather play a video game or watch a video game? That's the difference between driving stick and automatic. In an automatic, you're sitting in traffic. With manual, you're engaged in an activity. Time goes by faster if you're doing something.
It is entirely possible that you have ADD.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Life has no intrinsic meaning. Let people sleep if they want.
I'm not trying to stop anyone. I almost encourage it. The more people who rarely switch off autopilot, the easier life is for those actually living it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I got a Honda Civic del Sol when I was around, I dunno, 18 or so that had a manual, then when I traded that in I got a Toyota 4 x 4 pickup that had one too (my gf at the time loved trucks and hated little cars, thus the trade-in), and I had no idea until some years later just how much difference there can be in ease of use with manuals. The del Sol, in particular, was super easy to drive, smooth shifting, easy clutch, just really user-friendly. The Toyota, for a truck, was easy too.

So here I thought ay, I can drive a manual, it's easy, and I go to try to drive a friend's late '80s Ford Bronco. I grinded that clutch so bad on the first two gear shifts that I noped the hell out and didn't touch it again.

I had a '97 Camaro Z28 for a little while that was unfortunately an automatic. It was still powerful enough to slide it around and do other dumb shit, but I know (and knew) that a manual would have been more fun.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm not trying to stop anyone. I almost encourage it. The more people who rarely switch off autopilot, the easier life is for those actually living it.

This is Why we should legalize euthanasia. World is too bleak for you? Cool. Seeya. I’ll be enjoying life without you.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
When I had a stick, I drove on autopilot.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Here in europe basically everything is manual. Automatic here is the exception. Sometime you get a rental that is automatic. First time I got a automatic was when my 14year old peugot had to go in the shop. And they gave me a brand new Citroen DS instead. I had never driven auto and had to exit the very full garage with that car...

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
My daily is a 09 outback auto. But I drove a 91 civic hatchback with a manual as a fun car.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I only ever get to drive stick when I'm away at work on remote minesites.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Everything up until my latest ute (pickup truck to you murcans) was a manual but now I drive an auto and I can’t see myself going back to a stick unless I ever buy some high end sports car. I tried the manual version of my truck and it was pretty awful to be honest. Auto boxes have come a long way. I was reading an articles the other day and less than 10% of car sales are manual.
[REDACTED]

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I haven't had a stick shift in 4 years. I miss driving them, but it's hard to find a decent car anymore that has it.

Probably going to get an SUV next and I think Subaru is the only manufacturer that still offers stick for SUV type cars, but they all use that slow ass 2.0 L engine.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I haven't had a stick shift in 4 years. I miss driving them, but it's hard to find a decent car anymore that has it.

Probably going to get an SUV next and I think Subaru is the only manufacturer that still offers stick for SUV type cars, but they all use that slow ass 2.0 L engine.
Why not buy a Tacoma truck?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
My first car was stick. It's a fun fidget toy and I understand why people enjoy it. Particularly people who a) love video games or b) love cars/engineering. You have much more fine control over your car minute-to-minute and it keeps you engaged throughout your experience.

Once I got an automatic though, I felt no burning need to ever go back. I think a lot of it comes down to how you feel about driving. I don't need the experience of driving to be a game or a way to entertain myself and I give ZERO fucks about cars. It's purely a method to get me from point A to B. Bring on the self-driving cars, I says...

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I can barely drive manual in Daytona let alone IRL.
I can drive manual IRL but I hate it on driving games.

Daily driver for me is auto, easier for in town BS. Some day I might buy another stick, maybe an older VW golf or something, just as a fun/summer driver.