Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Haven't made this purchase yet, but, you know I will. Just looking at the cover, I can tell it's probably an 11/10 film.
images (1).jpeg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I caught Road to Perdition the other day. Somehow I didn’t see this one at the time of release. I enjoyed it. Message a bit heavy handed but I dunno, still liked it. I guess I don’t have much to say on it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Aesthetically the original is very interesting, one of the few times Schumachers style actually works, the concept is pretty cool and the cast is great. Has kind of a Jacobs Ladder for teens vibe. I mean sure it's no Ghost of Mars of JCs Vampires but it's a neat little movie.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I caught Road to Perdition the other day. Somehow I didn’t see this one at the time of release. I enjoyed it. Message a bit heavy handed but I dunno, still liked it. I guess I don’t have much to say on it.

Totally solid movie. The cast is absolutely stacked, the score and the cinematography are amazing and the story, while a little rote and predictable, hits a lot of my buttons. Hell of a way for Paul Newman to go out in film (we'll just ignore the stupid fucking Cars movies).

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The graphic novel is pretty good as well. Never read the novelization of the movie which I heard it also really good.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Keeping up with the Joneses.

Dumb movie. But it has Jon Hamm, the only dude that I'd, you know.. think about it for more than 2 seconds. And a scene with Gal Gadot and Isla Fisher in lingerie, and then they make out for 2 seconds. So...

Great movie night.

@M

20 Year Member
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)

Excellent follow-up and continuation of the first film, pitting Holmes against his arch enemy and intellectual equal, Professor Moriarty. Stellar performances by both Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law again. I was very disappointed that they killed off Holmes' love interest, Irene, from the first film, early on in this one, though. Lots of action, intrigue, and humor (particularly Holmes' crossdressing antics on the train), matching its' predecessor in quality, step for step. Bonus featurettes were good too. I definitely recommend watching both Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movies, back to back, as I did, to get the full effect. I rank it 9/10 lipstick-jammed firearms.

634full-sherlock-holmes_-a-game-of-shadows-screenshot.jpg

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Underwater

People stationed on an underwater platform are attacked by mysterious creatures. It's been done better in the past. I would recommend watching Leviathan or Deep Star Six instead of this.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
It stars Kristen Stewart so yeah, definitely avoid.

Leviathan is shit but it has Peter Weller. I watched Deep Star Six a lot when I was a kid but can't remember anything about it.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah, Underwater was garbage. Went in with low expectations and was still the closest I've come to walking out of a movie theater in years.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Damn the theater, I at least saw it on hbomax.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It stars Kristen Stewart so yeah, definitely avoid.

Leviathan is shit but it has Peter Weller. I watched Deep Star Six a lot when I was a kid but can't remember anything about it.
The only thing I remember about Leviathan is that it had Amanda Pays (from the 1990 Flash tv show) jogging bra-less. Great film.

@M

20 Year Member
IMG_20210625_165926757_31.jpg
Only one new DVD in the mail this time, but, it's four movies in one (on 2 discs). I believe that I saw the first two American Tail movies when I was a kid, but, I didn't even know that they made two more after that...

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
M, just so you know, Don Bluth didn't make sequels. Generally the pattern is that Don made a great theatrical film and then someone else cranked out a butch of soulless singalong direct to video sequels and/or a television series without his involvement.

The Land Before Time, the Secret of NIMH, An American Tail, All Dogs Go to Heaven -- all he made were the first films in those franchises.

The closet thing he did to a sequel was Bartok the Magnificent, which is a short film spin-off of Anastasia that was included in the special features on the Blu Ray release.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I wasn’t aware of that. Didn’t Fievel goes West come out in theaters though? I seem to remember it did but i could be wrong.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I wasn’t aware of that. Didn’t Fievel goes West come out in theaters though? I seem to remember it did but i could be wrong.
Yeah, that one made it to theaters. I think it's the only one of the sequels that did.

@M

20 Year Member
There's something like 13 Land Before Time films now. It's fooking ridiculous. I'm struggling to resist buying that big multi-pack, really I am. 😄

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
There's something like 13 Land Before Time films now. It's fooking ridiculous. I'm struggling to resist buying that big multi-pack, really I am. 😄
Let me help you:

buying these movies won’t fill the void in your soul. They will just feed your depression.

Sculpt something fun again.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
It does feel like you're try to fill the void of your creativity with legos and DVDs. Maybe the reason you're buying so much is because it isn't. Perhaps throw the instructions away, grab 3 lego sets and build something you're imagining.

Build a Battle Star Galactica, A Space 1999 ship or something out of the movies you've watched.

It's just been strange to watch you make things using instructions, using you're imagination was so much cooler.

Just a friendly bro suggestion M.

Reactions: wyo