$1500?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Arcade games are great when you have someone to play against. Solo it’s a bit boring. I also found that if I finished a game (A big IF because most are difficult as fuck designed to suck your money) then I had little desire to go back and play them again. I sold it all off a couple of years ago and haven’t missed it at all. Still have the great memories playing against mates back in the good old days and I don’t mind having a go if I see a cab when I’m out but happy to leave it there these days.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've had a few candies over the years but to be honest I've been more satisfied with a good scaler and an OLED TV.

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
Arcade games are great when you have someone to play against. Solo it’s a bit boring. I also found that if I finished a game (A big IF because most are difficult as fuck designed to suck your money) then I had little desire to go back and play them again. I sold it all off a couple of years ago and haven’t missed it at all. Still have the great memories playing against mates back in the good old days and I don’t mind having a go if I see a cab when I’m out but happy to leave it there these days.
This is very true. Have seen snippets of fightcade and am not sure exactly what that is about, but looks really interesting. Is it an emulator that runs on a computer?

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
You mean like this? I think i sold my Blast City for less than $900 locally this year. Its been at my friends gaming shop for awhile now and i just didn't have the room.

I mean, at least you have variety there. Looks like each cab has a purpose instead of 6 TATE cabs each running $1k shmup PCBs for some reason

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
This is very true. Have seen snippets of fightcade and am not sure exactly what that is about, but looks really interesting. Is it an emulator that runs on a computer?
Fightcade is like a forum but you can challenge people to old retro fighting games using various emulators. The crowd there are just as rowdy as they are in here if not worse. A lot of top players jerk each other off waiting on fresh meat that joins. You will be humbled really quick if you think you're hot shit in old school fighting games.

In the past, i would go there to train up before a local tournament. I have my Vewlix currently hooked up to it.

Might be fun maybe setting up a group of us to play some neo games.

I mean, at least you have variety there. Looks like each cab has a purpose instead of 6 TATE cabs each running $1k shmup PCBs for some reason
Yeah this is my personal arcade setup for myself and family, the rest is in the garage when the local FGC comes over.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I kinda agree with that - the arcade was something of a social experience, you know? Playing fighting games against people in real life is a hell of a lot different than playing online, for example. Many years ago now, I worked in an arcade, and though I spent my childhood in arcades when they were at their prime, I gained a lot of appreciation for the arcade atmosphere being able to observe it as an adult at a time when arcade popularity was definitely waning.

Having a few cabs at the crib to mess around on is optimal, to me. I don't get too hung up on having original everything, but I value the original PCBs and carts (and... whatever category newer arcade junk like Taito Type X2/X3 fall into) that I do have very much, and it's a joy to actually play them. It's easy to spot the folks on IG who just seem to get off on showing off their collections. It's fun to see cool cabs and all that, but once you've seen a Mini Cute from every possible angle, who gives a shit?

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
I still dont get the appeal for mini cute...They are just like arcade1ups to me. Small screen w/ very little room and way overprice.

As for offline vs online fighting, i dont see it as much of a difference. Online has come a long way and input lag isn't that bad. I think the only difference is when there is a crowd getting hype. Online though has lobbies and people can watch you play now...

For me the arcade experience is just playing w/ the best graphics, sound, & equipment at the time. Racing games use steering wheels w/ ffb, guns have recoil, & the arcade cabinet is sturdy w/ great buttons depending where you go. There is a reason why the arcade died, is because the consoles were able to catchup on the tech.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I enjoy having cabs a lot, and each one of mine serve a different purpose. I mainly play shmups/platformers/beat em ups but I have some vs stuff even though im not really into it as I used to be.

For me, the Arcade experience was the games were bigger, badder, and better than the home stuff at the time, and the challenge was immense. I've gone through a lot to get my setup the way I want it, and what works for me. Especially now since I work a lot more, all I have time for is a few credits in the morning or before bed.

I think my lineup now is 2x E2, AWSD, E3, 2x Windy 2, Windy 1, Sega T-13 Table, Vewlix DIA, Madonna, Canary, and SC-19.

I can rock and roll my setup for my needs, the locals seem to enjoy it, and even non-gamers come in and enjoy it.

You have to make your setup work for you. I didn't grow up with emulation or pandoras boxes; I use OG hardware because that's what I'm used to, and I like playing arcade games, its a no brainer for me.

RE; Mini cute- yeah its a big collectors cab, but it also has some function for a nice 1p cab for not a lot of room. Small screen is nice for a lot of STG games, but I wouldn't use one for a dedicated all around cab.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
A friend of mine recently got a Viewlix. I dunno, maybe Im just an old fart but I just dont like the way those look. They look like a MAME cab to me. I think he said by default his was USB so he put his PC in there.

I think the Candy is the ultimate design of a cab. I wish Id known about them sooner. I dont *need* one, but I'm on the lookout for an Astro city or something similar. But I'm not gonna spend $1000.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
A friend of mine recently got a Viewlix. I dunno, maybe Im just an old fart but I just dont like the way those look. They look like a MAME cab to me. I think he said by default his was USB so he put his PC in there.

I think the Candy is the ultimate design of a cab. I wish Id known about them sooner. I dont *need* one, but I'm on the lookout for an Astro city or something similar. But I'm not gonna spend $1000.
Completely agree about the Viewlix. I'm sure it's great if you're into current fighters, but then again, what's the dif between that and a big screen, an Xbox, and a few nice sticks?

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Completely agree about the Viewlix. I'm sure it's great if you're into current fighters, but then again, what's the dif between that and a big screen, an Xbox, and a few nice sticks?
I love playing on a VLX, its extremely comfortable since I'm tall. They are very well designed cabinets.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Viewlix are awesome playing VF5F on that with a friend is great.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
That could be said w/ tube and arcade sticks too...

Playing on cabs is so much better. You have the stability factor and seems almost perfect distance to the tv. The vewlix are nice, just as good as the candy cabs. When playing w/ others, i like to split cabs so each person has their personal space.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Vewlix is dope. Not sure how it looks like a mame cab. What does a mame cab look like, for that matter? Obviously, it's a big change from CRT cabs, but in a big way, Vewlix set the standard for what HD cabs are. The build quality of Vewlix cabs is insane, btw.

A Vewlix and a Type X2 with multi SSD is an amazing setup. Decades of incredible arcade gaming to be had.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
That could be said w/ tube and arcade sticks too...

Playing on cabs is so much better. You have the stability factor and seems almost perfect distance to the tv. The vewlix are nice, just as good as the candy cabs. When playing w/ others, i like to split cabs so each person has their personal space.
True!

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Finite supply, and infinite interest= price spikes.

I went from doing container buys, to mostly trading for what I want these days.

*well, aside from a Pana I was keen to have, because no more room for cabs.*

At Jim’s Game Gym (my 1 car garage, with a driving game in it, but no actual cars)
I’ve hosted neo peeps, civilians from the neighborhood, and on three day weekends from school...pre covid...my little kids’ friends and parents.

Candies were a great hobby, for a long time. I fear it’s jumped the shark-in recent years. It was a lot more palatable to get in, during the era of $400 Aeros and $85 Batriders...I can’t imagine having the line up I have now, if I had to start from scratch next week.

Aero
Jambo sit down driver
Neo 25
NAC
Blast
Net
Lo-Pro
Swing
Vewlix

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Also, with cab prices going up...at least, there are ways to game on more of a budget-thanks to F3 multi, CPS multis, TypeX2/X3 multis, Ringedge and Lindy multis, etc.

buying each game ala carte, for all the games I’m keen on playing, is cost prohibitive.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So that same friend that got a Viewlix, found an Astro. In my town. But here's the kicker - this friend of mine is contributing to the problem. The guy dropped $2200 on it. I actually bought a candy from this same guy like 5 or 6 years ago. It came with Alien Vs Predator, Battle Circuit, and some single board version of King of Fighters 200... 3? 2001?

I paid the guy $450.

Just... fuck man. We got Saturn games like Iron Man XO Manowar selling for $75 and now Astros that should be in the 700 to 900 range selling for almost 2500. I'm in a few facebook arcade groups and its all like that.

The Simpsons: 3000
4 Slot big red: 1500
SF2 Champ Big Blue: 2000

No hate on the homey, he found it, had the money, cool. I'll visit him sometime and jam on it. But $2200? Nah man.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
In a facebook group, Yaton posted that some candies can be shipped from China. $700 for the cab and $800 for shipping to my door.

Is that seriously the going rate? I guess 7 bills for an Astro isn't bad, but - more than the cab for shipping? And it will take like 4-5 months to get here?
Seeing this thread a bit late, but the $800 for shipping sounds about right. I got my Type 2 cab a few weeks back and shipping from Utah to Ohio was $600 - but that was the LOWEST price through American Van Lines. Everywhere else I tried it was over $750. Apparently there is some loophole with the Biden administration that lifted shipping cost restrictions on shipping companies - or so I've heard. So, shipping companies are all charging a premium over what the traditional going rate was for the last few years. Not sure if that's true or not, but I certainly was not expecting the sky high rates I was being quoted.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Seeing this thread a bit late, but the $800 for shipping sounds about right. I got my Type 2 cab a few weeks back and shipping from Utah to Ohio was $600 - but that was the LOWEST price through American Van Lines. Everywhere else I tried it was over $750. Apparently there is some loophole with the Biden administration that lifted shipping cost restrictions on shipping companies - or so I've heard. So, shipping companies are all charging a premium over what the traditional going rate was for the last few years. Not sure if that's true or not, but I certainly was not expecting the sky high rates I was being quoted.
So weird. Back in 99, I bought a converted MVS (Dynamo to Neo) from some guy on ebay, and had it shipped from florida through a company called Forward Air, I think. It was like 90 bucks to ship.

This $800 shipping biz is bunk, man. Yeah it was 20 years ago, but to go from 100 bucks to almost 1000? Sheeeiiiit.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I've already accepted the fact that I missed out. I doubt I'll ever get the candy cab of my dreams.
This is pretty much my thoughts also. The only arcade cab I'd have like to own is an original R-Type cabinet that was published by Nintendo.

Ajax

15 Year Member
In October last year, two friends and I went in on some Vewlix cabs from KC. I got one cab, one of my friends got one cab, and my other friend got two cabs, for a total of four. It came to around $1,200 shipping for all of 'em, for whatever comparison purpose that might offer. The few days where I had 4 Vewlix cabs in my garage were pretty dope.