Unreleased Neo Geo Game Writeup: The Warlocks of the Fates (Jinryu Senki)

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There's no shortage of excuses for why prototypes aren't made public. As Billy Pitt also says, ""It's just a matter of time."

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
There's no shortage of excuses for why prototypes aren't made public. As Billy Pitt also says, ""It's just a matter of time."

Well I think anyone dumping mountains of money into them earned the right to use them. And you can't disagree that I made a reasonable point from a collector's POV.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I think Billy Pitt once offered a very reasonable stance on the subject, and there's less leeway to do what you told considering Neo Geo is already an order of magnitude more expensive than regular consoles in retail stuff alone.

Aka to not scare away people with more protos, and try to get more than what you have, you have to shut up about ROM releases and just trade away. Even selling is a no-go if you want to get to the highest amount of protos possible.

When you do a controlled release you sign away any rights to be able to trade any other protos with hoarders/collectards/whatever you wanna call 'em, and they will never sell unless they're hurting for cash. Again, Atari/Nintender/Saygah has many more controlled releases and even people notorious for that sort of thing, but they don't get blocked because "the stakes" are significantly lower and there's a large range of teh ra3rs prototypes going around, so selling one of your protos won't make it as difficult to get another one as if you sold a Neo proto and went for another one.

Personally I don't really care about protos enough to hunt/obsess over them like some people in retrogaming circles, nor do I play pretend museum archivist. Good if they get released publicly, but if someone offered Mystic Wand to me right now I'd just AT MOST act as a middleman for a community release. It's too much money for games that aren't all that interesting to justify it, and often incomplete/unplayable. I get more enjoyment out of other, more capable people documenting them.

Most of this is wrong. Billy in particular.

Tacitus

Staff member
Well I think anyone dumping mountains of money into them earned the right to use them. And you can't disagree that I made a reasonable point from a collector's POV.

Well, again, not wholly accurate depending on how exactly the item was released or obtained.

I disagree but I just don’t feel like arguing it right now.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Well, again, not wholly accurate depending on how exactly the item was released or obtained.

I disagree but I just don’t feel like arguing it right now.

Fair enough. No horse in the race anyway.

Tacitus

Staff member
I like Billy. I’ve known him for 2 decades. don’t take my reply as running him down.

He’s not gospel.

He tried trading (unsuccessfully) a less-than-stellar and essentially worthless AW proto for a Neo one.

It didn’t work.

Billy knows his stuff but he's not the sole authority on this subject, protos, neo-geo, elite collectors :thevt::thevt::thevt::thevt::thevt: , etc.

In general, all of the sycophantic groveling, coddling, and appeasement for slivers of info from the “community” has produced exactly dick over the years.

This avarice and greed, however, DID result in at least 2 high profile and extremely lucrative scams perpetrated by Jason Young AKA “DavidG.”

Undoubtedly this mentality enabled it (and other scams) to occur because of the “secret big timer trading”, this fictional collector omertà, and the misguided belief that throwing oodles of money at this will produce results. No, it attracts the sharks. You’re the rubes.

This secret, elite, insular, super smart, big time collector network got fleeced because no one wanted to share information, let anyone know about this once-in-lifetime deal out of fear they couldn’t be the ONE to secure the item or would drive the price up.

That’s how you end up where we are. Wise up.

It hasn’t worked, it won’t work. This is a bunch of hoarding nerds sniffing their own farts.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
This is my stance as someone who used to be in the development hardware/proto collecting scene. If you plan to sell the proto at any time, don't release it. If you're gonna sit on it indefinitely, make plans to have it preserved by the community. Simple as that. I know for a fact that people in the development scene stroke their egos through the unreleased prototypes they own and keep private. It's a matter of getting over oneself and doing what's right for the community and platform. Yes, I understand the magnitude of the Neo Geo, but when does the ego stroking end and someone does what needs to be done. I have had unreleased, undumped games pass through my hands before. I never released them at that time due to the fact that I wasn't going to hold onto them forever. With one of the carts I sold, I eventually got tired of the owner keeping it to himself and I set things in motion for the rom to be leaked. I understand why someone would keep a prototype private, and I know why someone would release it. Depending on the situation, I agree and disagree with either stance.

I didn't want this, or my QP post to become a shitshow about prototypes. I think the drama surrounding them in the Neo scene is absolutely pathetic, and those hanging onto them stirs this up. I just want more information about these games to be known in English. I find the information fascinating and it gives us a better look at them without playing them.

Tacitus

Staff member
I didn't want this, or my QP post to become a shitshow about prototypes. I think the drama surrounding them in the Neo scene is absolutely pathetic, and those hanging onto them stirs this up. I just want more information about these games to be known in English. I find the information fascinating and it gives us a better look at them without playing them.

I think your posts were valuable and don’t mistake my responses for blasting you. Far from it.

This has been a LOOOOONG standing discussion here (and elsewhere) with some very strong opinions and deep rivalries, etc. check DHP... this is now going on three (!) decades for some of us.

Keep up the good work, I appreciate it very much.

Tacitus

Staff member
I will just add that I'm not the sole authority either.

I have a strong opinion and view on this. A lot of others do as well. They're all at least somewhat valid and that's the point.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
I will just add that I'm not the sole authority either.

I have a strong opinion and view on this. A lot of others do as well. They're all at least somewhat valid and that's the point.

Yeah with this type of stuff no one can ever be the sole authority. Some people will have more knowledge than others on it, but no one knows everything regarding this type of stuff.

Tacitus

Staff member
Yeah with this type of stuff no one can ever be the sole authority. Some people will have more knowledge than others on it, but no one knows everything regarding this type of stuff.

True, but try telling the people that think they are exactly that.

Again, that's how we ended up exactly where we are now.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
I regret helping to pull this thread in a bad direction, sorry Digmac. :lolz:

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Your information is appreciated. It is better than nothing if the rom is never public. However, if the rom never sees the light of day, all the screen shots and developer quotes still amount to little more than gamer blue balls in the end. The posturing and excuses from proto owners mean little in the face of what it would mean to Neo Geo fans to make these games public. Instead of benefitting the Neo Geo scene and gamers who love this system, these "collectors" put greed first.

I will take the blame for pulling the thread in this direction. And I will continue to do it when protos are discussed until things change. No apologies for that.

Last edited:

Tacitus

Staff member
Other consoles get the roms out. Neo Geo has a bad record on this.

There's an opportunity for "controlled release". One trusted third party from the community verifies and holds a copy of the rom and collects payments to compensate the prototype owner for the value. There are people out there currently holding onto unreleased roms. I'd gladly kick in a few hundred dollars for the public rom release of a unreleased Neo Geo game.

For the benefit of anyone who joined in the last 15 years or sooner:

This offer (NA's) has been on the table for a very long time.... repeatedly. If it was about fair compensation and reimbursement for the purchase, this would've been paid for many times over. That's why the money argument is a smokescreen and always has been.

The NG has a bad record of this because of the bullshit culture, scene, or whatever it's called around it. Some people enjoy that and get off on it. Some people live incredibly valueless lives devoid of meaning. Some people feel owning something unique that they didn't actually create fills the void of purpose and value in their lives. Some people just want to make a shit ton of money and bilk the next rube with overpriced repros.

We can even throw it out there again and in a MUCH easier to manage way than 2003.

You own a proto? There are plenty of folks willing to crowdsource or outright finance the buy. Name your price. You can stay completely anonymous. You know how to reach EW, Shawn, Billy, Trieu, me, Bobak, big bear, KPJ, *insert any longtime member here or elsewhere on the webs*. (I don't mean to pull those specific people in other than to point at long time members or people worthy of trust, with a track record, that I could name off the top of my head. For example, I can't stand trieu... but I trust him.)

Your move.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I respect everyone's stance and viewpoint regarding this topic. I appreciate all the kind words regarding the effort it's taken to compile this information together. Do I think bringing up decades of Neo proto drama is a fruitless effort? Yes, I do. However, I do understand why this topic always strays in this direction. My frustration stems from nothing ever coming of discussion like this. Neo Alec, you can bring this up every time protos are discussed, but at the end of the day it's just spinning your wheels aimlessly. If the people owning these games don't change, nothing ever will, and that's what pisses me off the most. Old, senile, idiotic proto collectards who are stuck in the DHP days getting in the way of what needs to be done.

Tacitus

Staff member
I respect everyone's stance and viewpoint regarding this topic. I appreciate all the kind words regarding the effort it's taken to compile this information together. Do I think bringing up decades of Neo proto drama is a fruitless effort? Yes, I do. However, I do understand why this topic always strays in this direction. My frustration stems from nothing ever coming of discussion like this. Neo Alec, you can bring this up every time protos are discussed, but at the end of the day it's just spinning your wheels aimlessly. If the people owning these games don't change, nothing ever will, and that's what pisses me off the most. Old, senile, idiotic proto collectards who are stuck in the DHP days getting in the way of what needs to be done.

Ehhh.. it kept me busy for a few hours.

You did more in these posts than "experts" have in 15 years. How long did it take? heh.

It's a good thing. Keep it up.

You let a few of us go old school and troll the rubes. It's like 2005 all over again.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I don't think I'm spinning my wheels. I'm trying to instill a culture where things can some day change. You, Digmac, are proof that things can.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
edit: here I go ranting about protos again. No one cares.

Last edited:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I think the correct spelling for the game title is SHINryuu Senki though, not JINryuu Senki. :-)

And yes the music is awesome. If I'm not mistaken, the composer is the very same man who composed "Yes, I wil...", the wonderful ending song for the "Fushigi no Umi no Nadia" anime series by GAiNAX.

geladobom

War Room Troll
Japanese and Koreans are being so annoying with a tiny 20 games database list in private.
They can easily made millions of copies and win more money on this protos... i mean at least 18 of them doesn´t look beta to me.
They preteend they are protos, just later to remember releasing on steam and consoles.
The Eye of Typhoon is not a proto we saw the insert coin in pictures. Korean games are just rare like PC Games in general and happens all the time.

Even Fight Fever was unable to be released if the company of neogeo wasn´t so quick to block this one.

Garou 2 Mark of the Wolfs was real, even the company released a beta picture with new charathers inside.
If they show pictures on the neo-geo protos website, does it mean is a beta game like Dragon's Heaven. Not a mugen "shitty" version. :lolz:

basementbrothers thank you so much for your videos, you let us with more information about this situation.
Let's hope someone can able to smash neogeo and rip off those protos flying all over the world.
I'm as well a neomaniac pgm gamer.

Personally I don't really care about protos enough to hunt/obsess over them like some people in retrogaming circles, nor do I play pretend museum archivist. Good if they get released publicly, but if someone offered Mystic Wand to me right now I'd just AT MOST act as a middleman for a community release. It's too much money for games that aren't all that interesting to justify it, and often incomplete/unplayable. I get more enjoyment out of other, more capable people documenting them.

Think about why they do not release it.
1 - They are not beta games.
2 - They are complete playable.
3 - NeoGeo doesn´t care about beta games.
4 - They force "not for sale" and they create expensive AES imagination prizes for secret fans. "I sell this game for 10000€ or 100000$!" :drool_2:
5 - If they are in the snk neogeo freak books that means they are full playable at 100%, if doesn´t they don´t show up a single pic.

We still doesn´t have all those books, maybe more games are inside of those books and we never discuss it, because they are hidden from the neogeo japanese maniacs.

Results...

Japan and Korea only will fly protos when they ended with the neogeo franchise on any store.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I don’t think I’ve seen anyone share the character art for individual cast members of this game and was not sure which discussion to add it to. For the names I’ll provide the romanji rather than localized versions/attempts at their names since most of the character names are shorthand for their full names (i.e. I’ll render ジュステェス as “Jusutisu” rather than “Justice”).
For those interested:
722A188C-13E4-423B-A93A-04E3D69A282F.jpeg
J (Diademu=Jusutisu=Shankaaru)
F346E6E6-127E-435A-ABE3-7D92F2C5EA35.jpeg
Rabi (Rabyuriaanya=Riipritto)
079A94B6-B1D2-4165-A86D-2D0BF964D1EF.jpeg
Myuoo (Myuoo=Bariisu)
3260BE66-EC93-4EDD-BC1F-CB0FA79B2806.jpeg
Sukaru (Skaraa=Sokuratichesuki)
4DB83BC2-0AAF-4D27-8267-4B6248106001.jpeg
Hiruga (Hirugaruto=Fon=Geshutaruten)
E879C7ED-09D9-4CB3-9312-4637F0770EE4.jpeg
Vaniti (Vanitis=Shaudaa)
D21226B2-20E6-4C5E-B322-C8824D47E6E4.jpeg
Aisha
3A0AFC84-14E2-48ED-BFEA-9958C0C0486B.jpeg
Kuruukuhaito (Kuruukuhaito=Vaizeman)
E92D7DA5-85AD-4FBF-BA99-22C11505F2E4.jpeg

Last edited:

geladobom

War Room Troll
As Billy Pitt also says, ""It's just a matter of time."
For Billy Pitt.
Did you look at the calendar and count it? I guess not.
A fresh demanding with jokes aside.

Attachments

• judge-judy-its-time.gif
    judge-judy-its-time.gif
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • joey-friends.gif
    joey-friends.gif
    613.9 KB · Views: 1