Recent content by mikejmoffitt

1. mikejmoffitt

do people want any more VGA boards?

I dropped out of doing anything with the neovga boards a while ago after selling the last batch, and on occasion I will get the odd email from someone who wants one. However, from the last build, a sizable number of people never got back to me when I told them I had boards for them, and I had a...
  2. mikejmoffitt

MVS-U4 Candy Cab restoration!

For a pretty cheap deal I've picked up an MVS-U4 candy cab from the nineties, in pretty banged up shape with a crappy control panel modification. Got it home safely, and the loudest rattling of all time tells me that there is about five dollars worth of quarters rolling around in the bottom...
  3. mikejmoffitt

Rescued a PVM 14M4 from a bad home

I spotted a PVM 14M4U in "as-is" condition for cheap, so I got it. From the picture I could tell it was missing the power button. I hoped that the button had simply broken in the past, and that the monitor might otherwise work. ...well, it arrived, and it looks like it's been mistreated in the...
  4. mikejmoffitt

NeoVGA FAQ and Order Thread

We're at the end of the development road here, so its time to collect the info from the megathread so the same questions aren't answered ten times and people can submit interest for the final product. If you are interested in a kit, please leave a post and/or send me an email at mikejmoffitt...
  5. mikejmoffitt

27" RGB Trinitron in Rochester, NY

i'm letting go of my RGB modded KV-27S42. It is in good shape, with an RGB input mod as illustrated in the TV RGB mod thread. The RGB comes in through a VGA port mounted on the back with the other ports. A switch goes between S-video and RGB input. The tube is very bright and has no burn-in...
  6. mikejmoffitt

CPS1 background graphics problem

Have a friend's CPS1 board, has background problems. Both layers look like they have address truncation; within one 16x16 area the same four lines are repeated to make up the whole tile. Looks like the lowest of four lines, so it's stuck high. Pushing around the board with my hand does...
  7. mikejmoffitt

Puyo Puyo 2 patched to run on any Sega System C board

I got a Puyo Puyo Sega C2 board missing a few chips, and found parts from another C2 board (also a Puyo Puyo board) to get it working. I wanted to convert it to Puyo Puyo 2, but I did not have the correct protection chip for it. Somebody who will remain unnamed claimed to have already cracked...
  8. mikejmoffitt

Price Check: MV-4

I've got a nice four slot board, complete with the metal cover, UniBios 3.1 (free version) and the battery replaced with no corrosion damage. What is the going rate for these boards these days?
  9. mikejmoffitt

Some repair logs

I've been helped a lot by repair logs of others in the past, so I'll write down fixes as I do them. Model: MV-1C Symptom: Red haze over some, but not all graphics Fix: The NEO-GRZ IC had to be replaced. The red channel's MSB was outputting nothing and was tri-stated, causing the DAC's 74LS273...
  10. mikejmoffitt

I have a problem, please take my cool shit (PCBs, CRTs, etc)

I'm visiting the family for the week which has made me realize I have too much stuff, especially since I plan on moving to the west coast long-term in about a year. Here's all the cool shit I can dig up that I'd like help getting rid of, priced to move: HDMI-Modded NES ~ 280 GONEZO Sega CD...
  11. mikejmoffitt

Street Fighter 2 CE Bootleg fix

Picked this up supposedly not working. Guy said it would do nothing but show a white screen. I plugged it in, and sure enough - white screen. However, this thing draws a LOT of current, so the power supply was sagging down. Once I adjusted it back to 5V the game sprung to life and worked fine...
  12. mikejmoffitt

FS: Makvision 25" Monitor

Got this Makvision 25" tri-sync monitor in a trade for a 27" Wells-Gardner. It's in good shape, built in 2006. Accepts 15Khz "MVS Style" RGB, 24KHz "Mortal Kombat" resolution, and 30Khz "Naomi Style" VGA. I'm in Rochester, NY. Willing to drive a bit, but not a ton, for delivery. Make me an...
  13. mikejmoffitt

MV4FT3 battery replacement

I got an M4FT3 on eBay as "broken" and of course after some cleaning it works perfectly. I removed the old battery (no corrosion yet) and replaced it with a coin cell holder. I'm not 100% sure that I've disabled the charging circuit, though. It doesn't match the MV4T completely. There is a 220...
  14. mikejmoffitt

MV-1C replacing NEO-GRZ

Just posting in case it helps anybody - my MV-1C's NEO-GRZ graphics chip had developed a problem (a few outputs went tri-stated) so I sourced a single-PCB KOF 2003 board to scavange the chip. First I removed the defective NEO-GRZ IC from the MV-1C with a heat gun. I taped down passives using...
  15. mikejmoffitt

0-slot board hacking

I picked up a KoF 2003 Single PCB Neo-Geo JAMMA board. I got it to harvest the NEO-GRZ ASIC to fix my MV-1C, but before I do that it'd be fun to mess with it. Some notes: The P, C, and V ROMs are surface-mount 44 pin mask ROMs, but installed in sockets! The ROMs are 3.3V, and have...