Recent content by maki

1. M

Problem with motherboard mvs1f

@konrad what was the problem, how did you fix it?
  2. M

AES3-4 repair with low voltage.

use the headphone jack, its what god made it for: stereo sound no need to hack up an AES ;)
  3. M

MV-4F - dots in sprite/background layers only on right side of screen

try the DIAG BIOS also, the MV-4F has the newer chipset, not the first one
  4. M

Rengual's faulty MV4-FS & MV4-F

thats a well known problem first thing is always: REMOVE THE OLD BATTERY ASAP don't wait for it to leak and damage the PCB (lots of times FUBAR) no exceptions, nothing killed more MVS than the batteries, they'll leak once its out, clean up the whole area, that includes the underside (remove...
  5. M

Rengual's faulty MV4-FS & MV4-F

The MV4-FS has lots of ASIC for buffering and multiplexing on the top board. I had really weird errors similar to the ones shown on a MV4-FS caused by multiple faulty NEO-244 (some inputs/outputs were faulty, sometimes more than half of them), and those are used for buffering...
  6. M

Problem with motherboard mvs1f

AFAIK the NeoGeo doesn't calculate zoom on sprites, instead it uses a lookup table which is in the L0 ROM. https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=L0_ROM I'd focus on that, check all traces/connections etc., replace it if everything checks out.
  7. M

MVS 161-n-1 wont load games

There is a pinned thread about problems with the 161 in 1 module, I had to resolder things so mine would work properly
  8. M

Neo Geo AES US Console - Small Black Pixels

I had similar experiences with 5V AES when it comes to the PSU and 161-in-1 carts, the regulation is relatively "far away" from the console, they can be finicky because of that, if the voltage at the IC drops below 4.8V, funky stuff happens. The 9V unit have an advantage here, the regulator is...
  9. M

Neo Geo CD Front Loader Drive Cycles

not my pic:
  10. M

There is 3 micro switches: Two in front, those are for completly open or closed tray, drive will open/close randomly if they fail. Third one is on the drive PCB for the laser pickup, drive will rattle if that one fails. See my previous post for replacements.
  11. M

Help neo geo repair guy uk needed

I used to by junk single slots in bulk, never more than 10-15 euros per piece, at least 10 at a time (EU/Germany, shipping and tax are not financially viable to/from the UK for junk), repaired I've sold them for 50-70 euros a piece. I could only fix about a third of them, lots of rotten traces...
  12. M

Dark Image RGB and Csync through VGA

VGA needs TTL level sync, bridge that 75 ohm resistor for sync only, leave the others
  13. M

Does the drive eject/close without you doing it? There is three microswitches in that drive, one for the laser, drive will rattle if the microswitch is bad two for the slide completely extended/inserted, if they fail the drive will open/close by itself. The microswitches can be cleaned, the...
  14. M

Connected a 470uf cap to the wrong pin on the CXA encoder of Front Loader.

this will not work without a SyncSplitter or other means to get a better signal my info is wrong about a resistor network being enough, I had a broken CSYNC line in my AV Cable, causing it to be coupled capacitavly, would work only with the OSSC, no CRT the VDP can't drive a 75Ohm load and...
  15. M

Connected a 470uf cap to the wrong pin on the CXA encoder of Front Loader.

okay I checked my notes, this won't work with a simple resistor network, needs a sync splitter to get CSYNC