Recent content by hatmoose

1. H

Neo MVH MV4F repair - battery damage, garbage overlaid on screen

Thanks for the words of support! I was feeling a bit down, so much work, and so close but so far away. You're right of course, will almost certainly be a bad trace - I need to stop freaking out, be patient, and go back to basics - not shotgun replace parts on a wing and a prayer :-)
  2. H

Back into messing with old gear after a brief Christmas break - to my complete lack of surprise the barely functional board is now completely non-functional :-) Have carefully checked all of the legs on the NEO-IO but no amount of poking and prodding will coax it back to life, I can only assume...
  3. H

Audio Issue With MVS MV4 Sound Crackle In 4 Slot

I had a similar issue (crackly audio consistently for some sounds only) also with an an MV4 variant - solved with a lot of coaching from the good people of this forum here http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/index.php?threads/mv4-ft2-watchdog-even-with-neogeo-diagnostic-bios.267802/post-4403434 Might...
  4. H

Does this mean my Neo geo is toast?

That is quite a good game, If OP were going to spend some time on it maybe something like this? 0) clean it 1) dump roms and compare to MAME set 2) probe the pins on Neo ZMC https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=NEO-ZMC 3) Probe the pins on PCM...
  5. H

That looks like a ground decoupling cap to me. Although weirdly I don't think this is a failed bootleg - those are printed up like genuine mask roms. As others have pointed out, looks like its spent the last 10 years at the bottom of a well or something, corroded AF. I'd be strongly...
  6. H

No commentary on Analogue CMVS except - motherflower they are expensive - I had no idea such a thing even existed. Normally I have a pile of crappy but working 1-slot boards for testing. Never know what weird and wonderful errors I'm going to get from untrusted carts, poorly executed boots...
  7. H

And then I remembered the old "push hard on the chip" trick. After a few minutes of poking at the NEO-IO in various ways it started working perfectly Will reflow the legs and check the traces, I think I must have burned one accidentally while removing the chip. But the good news it that the...
  8. H

Rats - not the result I was hoping for. I swapped the suspect bad NEO-IO for a known good one that I had from this board https://www.neo-geo.com/forums/index.php?threads/mv4t-no-sound-when-cart-inserted.267803/ That board had problems (Bad sound) but nothing to do with the NEO-IO, the NEO-IO...
  9. H

At this stage I think I have traced the problem NEOB1 is generating palette RAM address requests correctly and sending them on the P-BUS to NEO-IO NEO-IO is receiving the requests correctly then generating SFX rom addresses incorrectly, then sending incorrect requests on BIT6 and BIT7 to...
  10. H

So the input data comes into NEO-IO on the P-BUS (P0-P15) then goes out to SFX-ROM Q address lines (Q1-Q18) For some reason the Q address lines start counting from 1 instead of 0 per here https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=NEO-I0 Probing all the P-BUS inputs = all pulse Probing the Q...
  11. H

So back to the glitchy graphics now that the worst of the mechanical damage was fixed I had forgotten how to use a logic probe so re-read this post and re-watched this video https://www.neo-geo.com/forums/index.php?threads/mv4-ft2-watchdog-even-with-neogeo-diagnostic-bios.267802/ I was sure...
  12. H

Spent several hours with the microscope fixing battery damage, pretty sure I got them all but experience has taught me that there is always a sneaky one missing somewhere I also replaced all the THT components by the battery just to be on the safe side, I've had a couple of repairs where these...
  13. H

Got to use the new hot air station today - it is super fast compared to my cheap "squirrel cage" KSger one. Took off the 32k VRAM and replaced with new chips Took off the 2k VRAM, added some sockets and swapped in known-good ones from another board Patched all of the rotten traces that I could...
  14. H

@ack This is the most epic piece of NeoGeo investigation that I have ever seen - to be able to look at a screen like and be able to find meaning is amazing... there are no words. @maki thank you - especially for the white vinegar tip - there is a lot of damage to that area that I suspect will be...
  15. H

These are all with the diagnostics bios, can see where the words would be up the top of the screen, and the acknowledgement message down the bottom. It looks like it's being generated, but then not being drawn properly.