BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Last of Us:

The gay episode was better than the lesbian episode. It was a whole lot of nothing but I guess we got a bit of an origin story on Ellie. I never played the game. Fuck you.
Agreed. The stuff in the mall was actually extremely faithful to the game and that part was easily the the worst part of the game. It was just an hour of lame teenage girl dialogue and shitty QTEs written by a middle aged man with zero gameplay. Neil Druckman thinks he's a far better written than he actually is.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Tried watching the new Netflix docs-series about Malaysian Airlines flight 370. It's terrible, don't waste your time. It's all conspiracy theories and baseless conjecture. Most of the people they interview aren't qualified to talk about anything related to the disappearance. I turned it off after sitting through 2 or 3 reenactments of possible scenarios of what could have occurred on the plane and then they introduced as crazy looking fucker that identified his occupation as "Adventurer". Sigh. Netflix is turning into Ancient Aliens level trash.

Reactions: wyo

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
london-uk-16-february-2023-london-uk-bella-ramsey-attends-the-newport-beach-film-festival-uk-h...jpg3rd Rock From The Sun - 02x25 - A Nightmare on Dick Street (del 1) 008.jpg

Season finale of LOU was solid but surprisingly short.

We'll see what they do with the next season(s) and the mess that the second games story is. Hopefully they can have Neil Druckman be less involved and maybe piece together something that isn't just a bunch of cheap emotional manipulation and wokery.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
View attachment 63747View attachment 63748

Season finale of LOU was solid but surprisingly short.

We'll see what they do with the next season(s) and the mess that the second games story is. Hopefully they can have Neil Druckman be less involved and maybe piece together something that isn't just a bunch of cheap emotional manipulation and wokery.

So does the first season basically cover the first game? I never finished it and havent started this show yet.

If its one season per game then cool, I'll check it out. But if they are gonna drag it out like they did Game of Thrones the show can eat my ass.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
So does the first season basically cover the first game? I never finished it and havent started this show yet.

If its one season per game then cool, I'll check it out. But if they are gonna drag it out like they did Game of Thrones the show can eat my ass.
Yeah, season 1 is the full first game and it's very faithful and well done, nothing is drawn out.

Adapting the second game is a whole other can of worms. That game is huge and full of all kinds of horseshit. The only thing they've said regarding a second season is that they plan to do it. So... we'll see I guess.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Michael Reaves has died. He wrote numerous books and comics but was most well known for being a writer on a bunch of television series.

His most notable works among hundreds:
63 episodes of The Smurfs
28 episodes of Batman: The Animated Series (including the Emmy winner "Heart of Ice") plus the movies Mask of the Phantasm, Mystery of the Batwoman
22 episodes of Gargoyles plus the movie
19 episodes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
16 episodes of The Real Ghostbusters

He also did between 1-5 episodes each of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Twilight Zone, Monsters, Tiny Toon Adventures, The Flash (1990), He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Transformers, Superman, My Little Pony, and tons more.

Basically if you were a kid in the 1980s or 1990s, you watched this guy's work.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Hail, once again, to the king, or Succession (at least now that Better Call Saul is gone). Forgot how much I love Greg, Tom, et al. Really promising start to the final season pls don't go GoT route and make me hate you.

ps: apparently Jeremy Strong is a fucking nutcase to work with and everyone who acts with him also hates him. Kinda huh, y know?

Honestly I really love how MacFayden in particular actually makes his character seem like he honestly misses Shiv while he also really wants to stab her in the back over and over [no there's no need to go searching for other threads fuck off as Logan would say}.

Additional comment that I originally forgot - The White Lotus season two was as good or better than S1. Just so much oddly believable angst (okay maybe not as much on the last part) amongst rich people that just leads to fucked up shit. Theo James, Audrey Plaza, and Jennifer Coolidge were great. Mike White might/probably needs therapy.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Hail, once again, to the king, or Succession (at least now that Better Call Saul is gone). Forgot how much I love Greg, Tom, et al. Really promising start to the final season pls don't go GoT route and make me hate you.
Yeah, that was a solid season opening. Some really strong ball busting throughout. I just hope they don't give Kendall too much time as that's what has really dragged the show down in the previous season.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Finished Barry. If you gave up on this or just kind of forgot about it it's worth finishing, there's a lot of great stuff especially in the last season.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
BEEF- This is good. It's about a loser handyman that gets into a road rage incident with a woman that owns a designer plant/lifestyle boutique. Both people are similarly unhappy with their lives and they start to escalate the incident into a full on feud as a way to take out their aggression and gain some sort of control over their lives. Things escalate extremely fast and even though it's darkly comedic it's very fun, though I have a feeling things might get pretty fucked up later on. It is extremely well written and quite funny with an excellent cast including Steven Yuen, Ali Wong and David Choe. All of whom are perfectly cast.

It also has some of the best uses of music (specifically 90s alternative) in recent memory as far as punctuating scenes and the character's personalities without being gimmicky.

It's created by the guy behind Undone (and Dave ugh) so I had fairly high expectations and after 3 episodes it's pretty much met them. There's 10 episodes and they're only half an hour which is nice, so sick of everything being hour+ long episodes. Recommended.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Finished BEEF. It does indeed get pretty crazy, it stumbled a little in the middle but the ending was satisfactory. The show has a very White Lotus meets Better Call Saul feel to it. Awful people doing awful things but since it's so well cast and written and there are solid and engaging character arcs you never feel like you're just watching people be terrible to each other with no purpose.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Holy shit, did not see than coming on Succession. The mid-week thinkpieces on how the show was never going to actually go anywhere, well, yeah. Best episode of any tv show I've seen in a while, and damned if it doesn't set up a very intriguing set of final episodes for the show.
Spoiler:
I kind of love how Connor was the only one of the siblings to just admit that Logan was a motherfucker who never loved any of them and to just carry on with his life. How he cracked for a second then maybe a minute then realized that marrying Willa meant more to him than anything about his dad and just carried on. Even with Willa being like yeah, your money's the best part, he goes, eh, what evs.

Also liking Poker Face quite a bit - straddles the suspension of disbelief line more than most shows, but Natasha Lyonne is so good and the scripts are just smart enough to get past it. Nice cameos, Bratt in particular brings a palpable menace to a thin Mexican dude.

And, finally, not liking The Last of Us after, I dunno, an episode and a half - Bella Ramsey has her flaws, as noted, but it's less, I think, about her looks and just the fact that no one, outside of probably Ashley Johnson (who's old, I know, she plays her own mom) was ever going to seem like Ellie to people who've played the game too many times like I have. Pascal is a really damn good actor (and Troy Baker isn't beyond videogame work), and he manages to make Joel his own thing, but Ellie, man, that's asking a lot. It's not a bad show my any means, but I honestly don't think it's gonna do a good job of grabbing people who already know the story front to back. I mean, c'mon, in season 2 Ellie turns into basically a psycho murderer/vigilante, and... no, I can't see that working well with BR.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
the fact that no one, outside of probably Ashley Johnson (who's old, I know, she plays her own mom) was ever going to seem like Ellie to people who've played the game
I think that nails it pretty well and it's definitely the biggest problem with the show.

Also I completely agree about season 2 and using the sequel as a base for it, since it's set a few years in the future hopefully they'll cast someone else as Ellie. Ramsey just won't work for any of that stuff.

Reactions: jro

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I gotta admit that sticking with the show has been worth it. The Bill episode was as good or better than it was hyped up to be (Nick Offerman, national treasure, for real), and accepting that Bella is doing her interpretation of Ellie, which is different but not wrong, makes it easy enough to enjoy the other characters and their stories more than in the game i.e. Bill, Joel, Henry, etc.

It's much better than I gave I thought though, yeah, S2 looms a bit. I've seen a few articles where Mazin/Druckmann say they've laid the foundation for Ellie's heel turn in it but I dunno. To be fair the game didn't really nail it all that well either.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Holy shit, did not see than coming on Succession. The mid-week thinkpieces on how the show was never going to actually go anywhere, well, yeah. Best episode of any tv show I've seen in a while, and damned if it doesn't set up a very intriguing set of final episodes for the show.
It was a pretty great episode. The editing and camera work was really, really good. I think it was a really smart idea to leave that much room for the kids to be on their own now. A whole new shitstorm was instantly set into motion and they're going to get a huge reality check and find out just how much they were being held up by their dad regardless of how bad their relationship with him was. I mean that was really the only thing keeping them from turning on each other at every opportunity.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
It was a pretty great episode. The editing and camera work was really, really good. I think it was a really smart idea to leave that much room for the kids to be on their own now. A whole new shitstorm was instantly set into motion and they're going to get a huge reality check and find out just how much they were being held up by their dad regardless of how bad their relationship with him was. I mean that was really the only thing keeping them from turning on each other at every opportunity.
I didn't enunciate this well at all in my other post, but man, did the writing nail the human aspect of how they all reacted. Just a beautifully written and acted scene (apparently a 30-minute one-take, jeez), with all four kids reacting like believable people. Connor was the one that was most obvious and honest, but Roman's guilt and denial, Kendall's inability to forgive but also to take charge and then to remember to take a business perspective, Shiv's, just, I dunno, utter pain, even Tom's realization that he's nakedly vulnerable now and trying to hold on to what he has left with Shiv, it all felt very relatable and earned.

And, odd side-note, Perry Mason S2 is also very good. The story itself is a little heavy-handed and less interesting than S1 but the characters are more than enough to keep me watching. Apparently Robert Downey Jr. was originally supposed to star but he had conflicts so Rhys-Meyers got the gig, and he's great. Juliet Rylance is also very good though I don't really get the weird story thread where she cheats on her girlfriend for f'ing ever before she finally admits that she's moving in with another lady.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
And, odd side-note, Perry Mason S2 is also very good. The story itself is a little heavy-handed and less interesting than S1 but the characters are more than enough to keep me watching. Apparently Robert Downey Jr. was originally supposed to star but he had conflicts so Rhys-Meyers got the gig, and he's great. Juliet Rylance is also very good though I don't really get the weird story thread where she cheats on her girlfriend for f'ing ever before she finally admits that she's moving in with another lady.
I liked season 1 but hated the whole church aspect, everything else was fine though. Season 2 is good so far and the plot/murder is way more in line with the classic noir vibe the show has. I really like Juliette as well but the lesbian relationship subplot should have just been cut out entirely. It's fine that she's a lesbian but dedicating that much time to it detracts from the rest of the show and fucks with the overall pacing.

Final season of Barry starts Sunday I believe, looking forward to that.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Finished BEEF. It does indeed get pretty crazy, it stumbled a little in the middle but the ending was satisfactory. The show has a very White Lotus meets Better Call Saul feel to it. Awful people doing awful things but since it's so well cast and written and there are solid and engaging character arcs you never feel like you're just watching people be terrible to each other with no purpose.
I just finished it as well. Loved it. Really well-drawn characters, and even the artist husband who started off as somewhat of a caraciture was kind of sympathetic by the end. Super satisfying to see one character get chopped in half, although you can't help wishing it was worse.

The only kind of missed opportunity was that the Bobby character was clearly written for LA comic Bobby Lee, to be the partner of real life friend and podcast partner LA comic Andrew Santino. But a great and well-structured story overall. Finding out it was made by whoever made Undone makes perfect sense, and yeah, the source music choices were perfect. Really enjoyed it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The only kind of missed opportunity was that the Bobby character was clearly written for LA comic Bobby Lee, to be the partner of real life friend and podcast partner LA comic Andrew Santino.
Totally.

Yeah it was an awesome little series and more people need to check it out.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Been re-watching Eureka. I remember enjoying when it originally aired but I must not have watched very much of it because good lord is it bad.

The premise is great, the cast is great and it has one of the best intros ever but the show is ruined almost from the get go. The sheriffs cunty teenage daughter is insufferable and by the second season when they finally tone her down to a tolerable character the show is completely overrun with relationship drama and babies. There was an episode in the second season where there are 2 pregnancy storylines, a new love interest for the main character is introduced and 3 separate relationship/gossip plots. Fuck.

If they had just stuck with the basic premise of a secret town full of wacky scientist and the everyman sheriff trying to keep things under control with a little bit of a 50s vibe it would have been great. Especially with Warehouse 13 as a sister show. But no they had cram it full of chick shit and turn it into a dorky soap opera.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Also liking Poker Face quite a bit - straddles the suspension of disbelief line more than most shows, but Natasha Lyonne is so good and the scripts are just smart enough to get past it. Nice cameos, Bratt in particular brings a palpable menace to a thin Mexican dude.

I just watched Poker Face and I really quite liked it. At a certain point Ii thought it was ridiculous that Lyonne's character just keeps ending up around these murders but I just went with it. It's as much a story about her character as it is about the lives of these people she encounters. Almost Mad Max in a way (in that is the story really about her?). Either way I had some strong Columbo-ish vibes with the show and it was always fun to see how Lyonne's character got mixed up in what was going on. Some really, really great guest-stars as well.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Anyone watching Mrs. Davis on Peacock? Really a weird show. Makes me think it's based on a comic book, or something. Stars the chick who played the All American Blonde wrestler on GLOW.

If you subscribe to Xbox Gamepass they had a free 2-month trial to Peacock, so only reason I have this now for a couple months. Not sure if this promotion is still going on. I had, generally, dropped all streaming services (aside from Prime, but I am considering dropping Amazon Prime as well.)

While we've discussed it in the Star Trek thread, Star Trek: Picard - Season 3 was excellent. It's basically Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 8 or the final (and good) TNG movie.