AES Controller Button Repair?

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
My A Button has become quite unresponsive, I have to press it hard for it to register. I opened up the controller, but don't see any obvious way of accessing the button microswitches. I was going to try cleaning with ispopropyl, but there doesn't appear to be easy access to the button mechanism. Any suggestions please?

IMG_2453.jpeg

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
You probably need to desolder the buttons. Try a toothbrush with isopropanol first and clean everything. Let it dry before you test. Compressed air is also helpful if you don't want to desolder.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
I found this video which suggested trying to drip alcohol into the switches and then working it in by pressing the buttons. I gave it a try and has definitely improved it!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Unless you're a purist, you might as well replace the buttons with some pushbuttons and silencers so it will be good to go for probably longer

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Yeah modding with Seimitsu 24mm buttons is the way to go. I don’t use the silencers as I like to hear the snap of the buttons when pressed but they’re out there if you so desire. Plus you can get the Neo Geo themed colored buttons with black body just like the Japanese arcade cabs had, looks and plays wicked slick.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Would never mod my og Neo arcade sticks you savages. Just use a Brook adapter when you want a better or more modern arcade stick.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
The whole arcade stick is too tiny anyway. Can't you guys afford another arcade stick and a Brook adapter. 24 mm buttons are start buttons no matter which brand.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I have tons of sticks, but if I don't need six buttons I like the smaller Neo sticks with modding and refurbishing. If you've got seimitsu snap ins and a stick with fresh lube and good switches there's really little advantage to a bigger stick other than size. Hell, I kinda wish someone made a case with a 6/8 button layout that could take the 24s.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You need to solder. I ended up cleaning and swapping A with D on mine and that did the trick.

I will never put weird-looking non-standard buttons in mine. AES sticks are perfect just the way SNK made them.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
I have tons of sticks, but if I don't need six buttons I like the smaller Neo sticks with modding and refurbishing. If you've got seimitsu snap ins and a stick with fresh lube and good switches there's really little advantage to a bigger stick other than size. Hell, I kinda wish someone made a case with a 6/8 button layout that could take the 24s.
I also have tons of them. Modded many and tried different parts even the Korean Taeyoung Fanta. Don't get me wrong modding is fine and part of the hobby but I don't do this with pretty old arcade sticks. I just repair and refurbish them and enjoy that they still work fine. They play different to my newer sticks and it's part of the charm. I already felt bad when I replaced the ball tops on the Neo arcade stick. Kept the old ones of course.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
Yeah I would rather keep it looking original, although I wouldn't be against upgrading the internals. Considering how popular/expensive the Neo Geo is, I'm surprised nobody has made a drop-in replacement PCB for the buttons?

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
You don't necessarily need the button PCB. Just the correct wiring is important when you "upgrade". If you mod it you only need the Start & Select PCB and maybe an extension cable and the replacement parts of course. No one who modded it still has the button PCB.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Also pop in a GOTW gate adapter for the stick and you're singing.
You don't necessarily need the button PCB. Just the correct wiring is important when you "upgrade". If you mod it you only need the Start & Select PCB and maybe an extension cable and the replacement parts of course. No one who modded it still has the button PCB.
This. It's straight wiring to terminals, you'll just need to figure out grounding wires. There are plenty of tutorials out there, i tried to be a purist for a while and just ended up changing because i couldn't stand the noise the older buttons made.

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
FWIW the Reset button switch could be the same as the switches in the controller, they are shorter than Sanwa switches, maybe the Omron (?) switches that Hori used will fit?