Bitmap books thoughts?

$CASHMONEY$

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Finally got around to getting Bitmaps 'History of Neo-Geo', which was fantastic! to be fair i wasn't familiar with bitmaps at all until a few months ago when someone mentioned it in a youtube video.. but its a great book and i enjoyed 90% of it as a whole... but i just picked up their ultimate history of kof book.. i dont know... great production, but formulaic.. interviews were horrible

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
You're not actually supposed to read them. You're just supposed to flip through it a couple time, look at all the pretty pictures and then put it on the shelf until you die.

Seriously though bad interviews usually come down to the interviewer being bad and not knowing how to ask the right questions to get substantial and interesting answers. There are lots of interesting behind the scenes stories you just have to know how to get them to open up and a good interviewer does. I know the language barrier is also a problem there are ways around it. Also lets be honest the guys making these books and game dorks in general aren't exactly known for their amazing social skills.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
It's a bit misery reading through the interviews for snippets of interesting information. Coupled with the issues listed above, these are also people being interviewed about games and hardware almost 30 years after the fact. Memories are fuzzy and details get lost to time unless there's a design document to pull information from. For many of us here, much of the information contained within isn't anything new or ground breaking in any of the books: NG History, KOF, or Metal Slug.

My beef with these books is the horrible, horrible writing outside of the interviews; full of hyperbolic phrases and overuse of filler words to take up space. It's all "puffery" as the old literary critics used to say.

They all have pretty pictures, though, and are nice tomes to have around for conversation. I just wish they were the reference material I had hoped they would be.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Sometimes on written interviews you can really feel the Mr. Karateisms of the interviewer. Reminds me of the Mitchell Corp. part of this one book I forgot the name of where Roy Ozaki is basically telling the interviewer to fuck off at times but he doesn't get the hint.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Sometimes on written interviews you can really feel the Mr. Karateisms of the interviewer. Reminds me of the Mitchell Corp. part of this one book I forgot the name of where Roy Ozaki is basically telling the interviewer to fuck off at times but he doesn't get the hint.
Bro. Please find that interview for me. I'm a Mitchell fan.
-LoneSage

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I'm still waiting for their long awaited Ultimate Guide to Neo Geo Lost Protos.... that'd contain some "puffery"... "faggotory" as well.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I enjoyed all three of the Neo ones a lot. A little light on interview content, but still great.

The best non-Neo one is The Games That Weren't. It's a super fascinating book about many canceled games in the 70s and 80s with tons of interviews from those that developed them, along with screenshots, info on if they were completed, and mock-ups for games that are lost to history.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I bought the C64 one for my brother when he was ill. We spent a few days going through it together since we spent a decade on that platform together. It was good to share those memories before he passed. He went through it page by page.

Generally, they are just another thing to sit on the shelf.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Damn, sorry to hear that about your brother. It's good you were able to remember the good times from your youth together.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I haven't seen a $CASHMONEY$ post in what feels like over a decade

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I bought the C64 one for my brother when he was ill. We spent a few days going through it together since we spent a decade on that platform together. It was good to share those memories before he passed. He went through it page by page.

Generally, they are just another thing to sit on the shelf.
Bro this post hit hard. My condolences for your loss.

NGLad

n00b
I picked up "Neo Geo: A visual history"
and the "King of Fighters: the Ultimate History". I like them a lot since they're fun
to read and you get nice, close up pics of the art and design. I'm a sucker for concept art.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
I picked up "Neo Geo: A visual history"
and the "King of Fighters: the Ultimate History". I like them a lot since they're fun
to read and you get nice, close up pics of the art and design. I'm a sucker for concept art.
And that freaking book just casually revealed Akio's full name like it was no big deal. Yeah, the full name of Irem's pixel art messiah.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
I enjoyed all three of the Neo ones a lot. A little light on interview content, but still great.

The best non-Neo one is The Games That Weren't. It's a super fascinating book about many canceled games in the 70s and 80s with tons of interviews from those that developed them, along with screenshots, info on if they were completed, and mock-ups for games that are lost to history.
I hope that one gets a second volume! Frank Gasking (the book's author) has also been publishing articles from the book on his website and i highly recommend giving them a read.