BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

New Hellraiser coming from Hulu and it looks surprisingly good, it looks like they are incorporating a lot of the mythology from the sequels. I have zero problem with a female Pinhead. Not gonna get my hopes up too high though.
oh for fuck's sake, do I have to sign up for hulu again?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Catching up on GOT and ROP and they're both just awful. I don't know who these are even supposed to be for. They're not up to the standards of the originals and they're not engaging enough to bring in new fans. I wasn't expecting much from ROP and it's basically been exactly what I thought it would be but HOD is so much worse than GOT in every possible way.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
They’re never going to recapture Peter Jackson’s magic with the first trilogy simply because they don’t have anyone anyone at the helm who cares about the source material…that and what they’re doing now has no “true” source material.

Is Amazon still working on the Wheel of Time? Amazon is desperately looking for some kind of fantasy hit ala GoT or to a taser extent the Witcher.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
After what happened to The Hobbit I'm not sure I'd want another Peter Jackson project anyway.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
It's just amazing to watch these companies actively ruin literally everything they get their hands on. Disney, Amazon, HBO etc. are all fucking up whatever they can in every way possible and it's not just some BS "woke" agenda, it's much more than that.

What's funny is the things that are by some miracle actually good are usually the things the companies don't really give a shit about. Imagine that, when they don't care enough to get involved and just allow the shows to get made as they should they turn out good. (Until they get prematurely canceled of course)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
They’re never going to recapture Peter Jackson’s magic with the first trilogy simply because they don’t have anyone anyone at the helm who cares about the source material…that and what they’re doing now has no “true” source material.
Rings of Power is not great, but it's not that horrible, either. It definitely doesn't work with the books, but it's okay as a light pseudo-prequel to the Jackson movies, which took liberties of their own. In terms of cheapening the franchise it came from, I find it less egregeous than Picard to TNG.

That being said, the more you know about the books, the more trivia you've been able to retain from the appendices, the more you were able to force yourself through The Silmarillion, the less you will like Rings of Power. That's flat. But people who only know the Jackson movies should get over it.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
This last episode of Rick and Morty was surprisingly entertaining. It didn't really move the big story arc forward in any way, but it was actually funny and a decent self contained episode.

famicommander

15 Year Member
This last episode of Rick and Morty was surprisingly entertaining. It didn't really move the big story arc forward in any way, but it was actually funny and a decent self contained episode.
First episode of the season deconstructed Rick
Second episode (quite literally) deconstructed Morty
Third episode deconstructed Beth/Space Beth
This episode deconstructed Summer

So it seems like this next one will be a Jerry episode. Jerry has been racking up some Ws this season. Got to have a threesome with his wife and space wife, saved the day by being his own pen pal in this most recent one.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Has anyone checked out the War of the Worlds show from 2019? I dont mean the period one thats a 3 episode miniseries from England - from the same damn year. But rather the one that's currently in its 3rd season?

I downloaded the first season to check it out and it turns out its a french/American (I think) joint thing where some of the characters bust into oui oui haw haw tut suites every few minutes.

What makes it worse is it's nigh impossible to find actual subtitle files without it being labeled as the show in question, but its actually just the 3 ep mini series from England. And even THEN the subtitles that come with the show have several sections of french language that isn't translated. Lame.

Anyway beyond that I watched the first ep and it was pretty slow. Anyone else check it out, and if so, thoughts?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
[SPOILER="House of the Dragon"]
Well it's official, she's an uncle fucker now.
For a second you think that's kida disgusting but the last show was about an incestious brother and sister and you watched anyways.

Laenrys is off to lead his gay life.
That would be a messed up thing, making your parents think you died.
It's moving along next show looks like it's third set of actors. [/SPOILER]

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
[SPOILER="House of the Dragon"]
Well it's official, she's an uncle fucker now.
For a second you think that's kida disgusting but the last show was about an incestious brother and sister and you watched anyways.

Laenrys is off to lead his gay life.
That would be a messed up thing, making your parents think you died.
It's moving along next show looks like it's third set of actors. [/SPOILER]

Th... they call one character LAEnerys? lol couldn't they come up with something better? "Aenerys? Baenerys? Caenerys? - Well Daenarys wont work... Gaemarys? We dont want people thinking this is a stupid name.. lets just go all the way to L."

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Th... they call one character LAEnerys? lol couldn't they come up with something better? "Aenerys? Baenerys? Caenerys? - Well Daenarys wont work... Gaemarys? We dont want people thinking this is a stupid name.. lets just go all the way to L.", I'm not very good with names maybe I made it up.
I dunno, yeah I'm horrible with names. I just made it up.
I had to spend a few minutes looking it up, his name is Laenor.

When the plot-line first appeared I thought it was going to playout like these real life events:

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Another solid episode of Rick and Morty. This has been a good season so far.

I wonder when we see eyepatch Morty or evil Rick again.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Saw a Scream TV series listed on Netflix today and gave it a shot. Turns out that it was produced by Mtv and there are 3 season. I couldn't get more than 10 minutes in before I turned it off. Absolute shit, I have no idea how it got 3 season or who would even watch it. Especially given Mtv's total irrelevance at this point, but I guess they managed to somehow make room in their busy schedule of 16 hour block of Ridiculousness so it was essentially the only other thing on the channel.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Saw a Scream TV series listed on Netflix today and gave it a shot. Turns out that it was produced by Mtv and there are 3 season. I couldn't get more than 10 minutes in before I turned it off. Absolute shit, I have no idea how it got 3 season or who would even watch it. Especially given Mtv's total irrelevance at this point, but I guess they managed to somehow make room in their busy schedule of 16 hour block of Ridiculousness so it was essentially the only other thing on the channel.
I think the very last public interview Wes Craven gave before he died was distancing himself from that show.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Midnight Club- The new Mike Flanagan series based on a book by Christopher Pike. I know I read a couple of Pike's books in middle school but don't really remember them that well. This seems to have captured the tone as I remember it fairly well. Which is to say spooky young adult schmaltz with a big old side of emotional teen drivel. I was worried about this one as it's premise doubles down on all of that. It takes place in a hospice for teens who are all dying from various cancers and diseases where they secretly meet every night to share scary stories but what they're really doing is coming to terms with their own mortality... fart.

I was hoping that Flanagan would manage to elevate the material beyond YA trash but no such luck. While there is a larger plot involving the history of the building, supernatural goings on and a cult and Flanagan has given it his usual touches, it's just not enough for anyone over the age of 14.

Oh yeah it's also set in 1994 so it's packed with half assed references and music. I think I counted 3 different songs in a 5 minute span in the first episode. They didn't go full Stranger Things with the nostalgia pandering but it still feels cheap and also has that retro as done by people who didn't actually live in that era feel. There's some good guest stars and I like the anthology format being surrounded by larger plot I just wish he would have made it for adults. I'm 4 episodes in and I don't think I can be bothered to finish it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Anyone check out the one hour Werewolf by Night special? I thought it was pretty good. Doesn't overstay its welcome and isn't just an advertisement for other Marvel products like most of the other Disney+ stuff.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Anyone check out the one hour Werewolf by Night special? I thought it was pretty good. Doesn't overstay its welcome and isn't just an advertisement for other Marvel products like most of the other Disney+ stuff.
Didn't know it was out already. Will check it out.

I didn't know there was a Let the Right One In show being made. Got the first episode last night, and it's not bad. I think they are removing any of the REALLY gross shit from the book (good thing for US tv anyway). But it was decent so far. I'll see how it goes.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Catching up on GOT and ROP and they're both just awful. I don't know who these are even supposed to be for. They're not up to the standards of the originals and they're not engaging enough to bring in new fans. I wasn't expecting much from ROP and it's basically been exactly what I thought it would be but HOD is so much worse than GOT in every possible way.
with all due respect, ser, HOD doesn't live up to the first few seasons of GOT, but I think it's on a different level than ROP. there are so many things i have issues with, from a storytelling/screenwriting perspective, ROP that i can't say they are in the same league.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Watched it this afternoon, it was surprisingly good. I was skeptical that it would be a just another churned out piece of shit or tie-in but they mostly proved otherwise. It's a perfectly suitable little one off (at least for now) that was fun and a nice change of pace from the usual MCU drivel. I liked that they went full Universal monsters with it, I was afraid it was going to be the usual cheap looking crap just with a black and white filter but they did it right.

I hope that Disney takes more chances like this in the future.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Has anyone checked out the War of the Worlds show from 2019?

Leave it to the french to make a show that is such a tired and over-done trope.

Aliens? Nah. Humans from the future.

Fuck outta here.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Is Amazon still working on the Wheel of Time? Amazon is desperately looking for some kind of fantasy hit ala GoT or to a taser extent the Witcher.
I watched this, it was pretty lame.
Doesn't have a real story and some of the special effects for the bad guys looked like 3rd grade claymation/stop animation.
I suggest nobody else watch this show, I should have stopped after the first couple episodes and been thank-full it drops weekly so I didn't binge watch it.
Don't make the same mistake I made.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I watched this, it was pretty lame.
Doesn't have a real story and some of the special effects for the bad guys looked like 3rd grade claymation/stop animation.
I suggest nobody else watch this show, I should have stopped after the first couple episodes and been thank-full it drops weekly so I didn't binge watch it.
Don't make the same mistake I made.

I havent read the books, but my bro in law is a huge fan of the Wheel of Time so he was excited for the show and he... hated it. Evidently they kill off someone in the first few episodes that is one of the most important characters in the story. I couldn't make it past the 2nd episode. I want to read the books but I dont have the energy to get into a 25 book series.