MvC2 Dreamcast Prices

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I have had Marvel vs Capcom 2 on the Dreamcast for years now almost since first released. Just for shits I went to see what people are asking for it now. I was dumbstruck by the asking prices. $100 for a loose disc and almost $200 for a complete game?! WTF...
I know our hobby has gotten more expensive over the years but that is just ridiculous. Are these prices the result of people actually wanting to collect and play it on Dreamcast? Or market leeches? Combination of both?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Pretty much everything pre-PS2 has gotten ABSURDLY expensive. Games that used to be throw-ins are now $10 and $10 games are now $30-40. Blame eBay, YouTube shelf queens and middle-aged people with more money than sense overpaying for "teh rarez!".

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
I remember buying a complete copy of MVC 2 complete for $14.99 U.S. version at GameStop back in 01 and the Japanese version for $10 at some import place back in 14 if memory serves me right. Anyway I wouldn't pay $200 for a game like that I only got MVC 2 because that's the only game besides power Stone my friends or guests would play with me on the Dreamcast.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
The game was always sorta pricey as I remember it, I had to repurchase my copy and it costed me $50 and I find that's a fair price. But the current prices are ridiculous. I'd say another factor in it going up in price could be due to the digital re-release being inaccessible now. But I mainly blame the same people @100proof mentioned.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The PS2/Xbox versions were always expensive (low print runs) but the DC one didn't get stupid until many years later. It was a $30-40 game for a long time.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Pretty much everything pre-PS2 has gotten ABSURDLY expensive. Games that used to be throw-ins are now $10 and $10 games are now $30-40. Blame eBay, YouTube shelf queens and middle-aged people with more money than sense overpaying for "teh rarez!".
Yep. I've been saying for the past few years, I now have no ragrats about buying so many games and nearly completing my collections in my 20s. I'd be paying out the ass or not even considering it now.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Same with cabs. I bought a candy cab about 7 years ago with a gray Alien vs Predator board in it, that thing was $450. My Neo25 was $250 with a 4 slot and 11 carts.

Now? My Neo25 sells for almost 2k, and a Blast city goes for about the same. Even shitty wooden cabs like Zbacks are all priced to shit. There was a guy on A-P that offered to buy "a candy cab" and was willing to spend up to $6000 if I recall. Its fucktards like that that ruin the pricing for the rest of us.

edit: There's also this idiocy.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Even before collecting took off, MvC2 was a pricier game. For all 3 consoles. I recall it being a $50ish game even 10-12 years ago when I'd come across it, at a time when very few DC/PS2/XB games went for that much. It's always been one of the more collectable fighters from that era. But nowadays, while I'm sure there are "shelf queen" types who want it, it is still considered one of the best fighters of that generation, so genre enthusiasts want it as well.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, I remember getting $50ish for MVC2 some 15-20 years ago.

Sonic Adventure 1 now..... That shitshow of a game has gotten out of hand price wise.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Now? My Neo25 sells for almost 2k, and a Blast city goes for about the same.

As a counter, CRT candies seem to be much harder to find now. Especially ones in decent condition. When I got my Blast about 5 years ago they were plentiful. But only Blasts. Finding a Neo or anything else was pretty much impossible. When I got the Blast home into my garage the monitor had died and no attempt to fix it worked. Finding a replacement CRT then took me forever and I paid a fortune for it. I can't even imagine nowadays.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I paid 150 euro for magician lord in December 2019. It was a buy it now. And I remember finding it to expensive but it was a Christmas gift to myself. Now the cheapest one is 400 buy it now and sold 250.

Attachments

• 81A7B8FF-3FB4-4B18-96C6-CF27B2A208B1.png
    81A7B8FF-3FB4-4B18-96C6-CF27B2A208B1.png
    333.1 KB · Views: 0

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The thing that gets me is all the ludicrous prices for disc only stuff, I see PS1 and DC disc only with stupid high prices all the time and they always look like they've been gone over with a belt sander. Who is buying this shit?

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
The thing that gets me is all the ludicrous prices for disc only stuff, I see PS1 and DC disc only with stupid high prices all the time and they always look like they've been gone over with a belt sander. Who is buying this shit?
Probably the same ilk that buys loose DS games

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
I bought an atari Jaguar CD on eBay for about 150 bucks 6 or so years ago. I kinda regretted it and sold it a few years later for 400. Now they sell for 1000.

I bought an atari Jaguar for 30 bucks in 2015. I sold it in a lot with some games and accessories for 200. Now the going rate on just the console would start at around 300.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Its not really stupid, the supply keeps going down and the demand keeps going up.

We can blame shelf queens and youtube personalities all we want, but nothing is going to change.

It was a joke in 2015, but in 2055 people will retire off their collections.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Retire? That's if anyone gives a shit. Most of us will be dead or in our 60-80's by that point with generations of people who look at cartidges and discs like phonograph cyclinders or sheet music.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Its not really stupid, the supply keeps going down and the demand keeps going up.

We can blame shelf queens and youtube personalities all we want, but nothing is going to change.

It was a joke in 2015, but in 2055 people will retire off their collections.
lol Nah, look at how much stuff is on eBay at any given moment the supply is still the same. In fact I'd say there's even more stuff readily available now since prices are so high people are more willing sell. Plus it's way easier to get stuff from Japan and there are way more options to play stuff without actually having to own it.

The local game shops here all have a much wider assortment of sought after stuff now to. There's mad turnover in the collectors market.

The difference now is people have more disposable income as they get older and they're willing to spend it on dumb shit. That doesn't mean that that shit will keep rising in value. Like lachlan said in the future there's going to be far less people interested in this stuff because they didn't grow up with it. Some stuff will still be expensive for sure but it'lll eventually bottom out to where it should be. There's simply too many copies of most games to maintain the high values.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
lol Nah, look at how much stuff is on eBay at any given moment the supply is still the same. In fact I'd say there's even more stuff readily available now since prices are so high people are more willing sell. Plus it's way easier to get stuff from Japan and there are way more options to play stuff without actually having to own it.

The local game shops here all have a much wider assortment of sought after stuff now to. There's mad turnover in the collectors market.

The difference now is people have more disposable income as they get older and they're willing to spend it on dumb shit. That doesn't mean that that shit will keep rising in value. Like lachlan said in the future there's going to be far less people interested in this stuff because they didn't grow up with it. Some stuff will still be expensive for sure but it'lll eventually bottom out to where it should be. There's simply too many copies of most games to maintain the high values.

Places like eBay and YAJ proxies might make it easier, but I promise you the supply is not “still the same”. Bit rot is a real thing and mask roms are not unsusceptible to it. You also have natural disasters and normal negligence taking these games out of existence.

Lachlan’s argument is flawed. Just because you don’t grow up with something, doesn’t mean you can’t discover and enjoy it later. I love plenty of movies, music, and games that were before my time.

Supply and demand is a real thing. If there was “too many copies of most games to maintain the high values”, then they wouldn’t continue raising In price, or holding steady.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member

Our kids won't always sell our collections, some will just throw them away. I had another collector in my house and his dad was a collector of 50ties and 60ties toys. He told me the market fully collapsed: Nobody is buying or selling but also nobody budges on their price. Product just sits until everybody dies off

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
What I remember being $15 MVS carts like SS2 or FFS are now $50-60 loose.
I recently picked up KoF94 and WH2 for $65 combined & kinda feel like I stole them.
I Have a loose disk of SFA3 on DC, wonder what that is going for.

Our kids won't always sell our collections, some will just throw them away. I had another collector in my house and his dad was a collector of 50ties and 60ties toys. He told me the market fully collapsed: Nobody is buying or selling but also nobody budges on their price. Product just sits until everybody dies off
Yep, My old man collects antique toys and stuff from the 1900s-1960s.
All his stuff is made of wood and lead painted steel.
Still a market but it's growing smaller every year.
I try to know about what what he's got because I know i'll have to sort through it some day.
When we go to the shows today everything is made of plastic and ranges from the late 1970s to today.
It's mostly guys my age (early to mid 40s) buying.
Really hot stuff seems to be the 80s to the early 90s for now.
"Retro" is the bullshit buzzword right at the moment.
It breaks my heart, usually twice a year we do the big Chicago toy show in Kane county.
I act like it's a drag but I really look forward to it every time, It's the Dad/Son thing we do.
He's talks about quitting the scene even tho he almost always does well.

Last edited:

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I'm glad you and your dad are getting some happiness out of the hobby, Hellion. At the end of the day, that's all that really matters. Some joy here and there and the experiences. It's great that the two of you have something that brings you together.

My thoughts on our current market is that if someone has the expendable money and they want to buy some games or toys because it gives them a bit of joy, I think that's great. Maybe MvC2 and other games are overpriced now, and maybe they will all be worthless some day. Who knows? Does it really matter? There could be a nuclear holocaust or something way worse than covid coming in our lifetime, and we'll all die horribly or live like Mad Max. Ha! We really don't know. But if spending money on collectibles makes someone happy, good for them. And if you think that's stupid because the collectibles aren't worth as much to you, then maybe think about selling your games that you think are overpriced and putting that money towards something that makes you happy.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I'm glad you and your dad are getting some happiness out of the hobby, Hellion. At the end of the day, that's all that really matters. Some joy here and there and the experiences. It's great that the two of you have something that brings you together.

My thoughts on our current market is that if someone has the expendable money and they want to buy some games or toys because it gives them a bit of joy, I think that's great. Maybe MvC2 and other games are overpriced now, and maybe they will all be worthless some day. Who knows? Does it really matter? There could be a nuclear holocaust or something way worse than covid coming in our lifetime, and we'll all die horribly or live like Mad Max. Ha! We really don't know. But if spending money on collectibles makes someone happy, good for them. And if you think that's stupid because the collectibles aren't worth as much to you, then maybe think about selling your games that you think are overpriced and putting that money towards something that makes you happy.
Thanks man.
Nope, I don't think its silly at all, collect what you like.
What I don't understand is when you set up at a show and see 10+ tables of dudes selling the EXACT SAME THING.
Literal mountains of funco pop figures and the never ending stream of god forsaken star wars SHIT, all of them at about the same prices.
Then you talk to these guys and they've cleared $10,000 in one day!
I don't know man, some days I feel like I regret selling stuff then I realize what i'm actually hanging on to is the memories.
Thats why I try to emphasize just spending time with my own son more than the stuff thats associated with it.
But the stuff can be fun too.
Anyway, I think i've derailed the thread enough.
FuK deese wack ass price$ yo!